Where should I go next?

Where to go next...

• Go back to Fractal. The Marshalls are calling you

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Get a Helix. You'll be glad when you're editing/building presets

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Go with another Kemper. You'll be glad you've got Performance mode during shows

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Give QC a second chance, it's learned it's lesson

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
Probably that dude who bought 18 FM3's on Reverb shipping them all overseas :p

Honestly I was close to getting on the FM9 list, then just decided screw it and got a used Axe 3. The price of the Axe is up to $2300 now and even though it's Super Street Fighter Mark 2 Turbo, I don't mind saving $500 either. Plus I wanted to be able to tweak at finger level, and I have an FC-12 already, and I didn't want to wait months for updates to trickle down if something cool gets released.

Also, right after 3.5 came out I was very close to selling off all my gear and getting a Helix Rack + Controller. But again having the FC-12 already and then lack of cheap used models kind of shot that down.
Dont see why would need a Helix rack & FC when you have a AXE III and FC-12 :idk

I just got a FM3 for traveling. Bringing a Axe Fx 3 and fc12 is not too fun for road trips.
Yeah, that’s a good point. I say backup, but really - if I’m going to practice at a friend’s house or studio, do I *really* need my full FM9? Not always. Most of the time, we aren’t worried about tone, but timing, and so forth, so I could get away with the 3 switches. One thing I would miss though is the better pitch block. I do use that on a few different songs…

Yeah, that’s a good point. I say backup, but really - if I’m going to practice at a friend’s house or studio, do I *really* need my full FM9? Not always. Most of the time, we aren’t worried about tone, but timing, and so forth, so I could get away with the 3 switches. One thing I would miss though is the better pitch block. I do use that on a few different songs…
For sure. I view the axe fx as my studio gear. I can slap my FM3 and mini expression in a harbor freight Apache 3800 case and be on my way

Wow that sounded like an advertisement for the case lol it is a fantastic case and only $38

One of the things I love most about the FM3 is how portable it is. It's a Great Dane in the guise of
a Yorkie tonally.

So easy to just toss it in a bag and grab a guitar and head to practice, and then when I get home I
can fit it on my desk and have easy access with my hands to make whatever changes I may need.

Love that little bugger. :chef

Dont see why would need a Helix rack & FC when you have a AXE III and FC-12 :idk

Nah, that was before I pulled the trigger on the Axe 3.

I was getting really annoyed with the multiple modeler thing, and was deciding to go back to one. At first I was thinking of going all in with the Helix as I was digging 3.5. Then the FM3 beta FW came out and I realized I was really happy with that sound, especially the effects. So I decided to go that route, knowing that I had Helix Native in my back pocket.

I think a majority are either tube or fractal (could be wrong)

Or both.

Super Freak Flirting GIF by Rick James

Helix: I love the layout and level of control, it's super easy to tweak, and I love the effects.
This to me sounds pretty much like "Get a Helix Rack/Floor/LT and augment it with something else". You could MIDI control your JVM with it. Or you could wait for next year for UA to pretty surely release a Marshall-based version of their amp sim pedals. It will sound good and have terrible features otherwise.

This to me sounds pretty much like "Get a Helix Rack/Floor/LT and augment it with something else". You could MIDI control your JVM with it. Or you could wait for next year for UA to pretty surely release a Marshall-based version of their amp sim pedals. It will sound good and have terrible features otherwise.
Off topic, but your avatar has me cracking up!

I don’t think anything in the digital world is better than an FM9 for easy gigging or tone. But if you need a monitor budget for something good.

I spent the day playing with this setup:

Guitar -> HX Stomp XL IN -> HX send -> DSL40 Input -> DSL fx loop send -> HX Return -> IR block -> out to PA

It sounded killer. And it made me realize a few things:

1. I want my amps separate/independent from my effects. I don’t want both tied up in the same device.
  2. I want the sound of the DSL in a smaller, more portable package. Since I’m not using the speaker, cab, or power section, there’s no reason to lug those things around.
This is making me think maybe a Kemper toaster, or a QC might be the way to go. I’d use either strictly for amps and Profile/Capture the 5-6 sounds I want out of my DSL. Then control it with the HX and use that for effects and setlist/programming creation.

On the QC can you toggle individual blocks with MIDI?

Essentially what I’m realizing I want to do is have the HX be the master controller, and have the amps be in its loop, then use MIDI from the HX to select amp tones per preset/snapshot/stomp.

If UA made a Marshall pedal I’d probably buy 4 of them and use them in a Morningstar ML5

If those blocks are assigned to a Footswitch on the QC, yes. But there is nothing to "toggle drive block". Attached is the midi on the QC. It's very limited

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221128-121905~2.png
    Screenshot_20221128-121905~2.png
    256 KB · Views: 11
I spent the day playing with this setup:

Guitar -> HX Stomp XL IN -> HX send -> DSL40 Input -> DSL fx loop send -> HX Return -> IR block -> out to PA

It sounded killer. And it made me realize a few things:

1. I want my amps separate/independent from my effects. I don’t want both tied up in the same device.
  2. I want the sound of the DSL in a smaller, more portable package. Since I’m not using the speaker, cab, or power section, there’s no reason to lug those things around.
This is making me think maybe a Kemper toaster, or a QC might be the way to go. I’d use either strictly for amps and Profile/Capture the 5-6 sounds I want out of my DSL. Then control it with the HX and use that for effects and setlist/programming creation.

Essentially what I’m realizing I want to do is have the HX be the master controller, and have the amps be in its loop, then use MIDI from the HX to select amp tones per preset/snapshot/stomp.

If UA made a Marshall pedal I’d probably buy 4 of them and use them in a Morningstar ML5
Florida Lead GIF

If those blocks are assigned to a Footswitch on the QC, yes. But there is nothing to "toggle drive block". Attached is the midi on the QC. It's very limited

Ah I see, but you can choose what gets assigned to each footswitch right?

I guess the problem would be I'd have to toggle all the others off when I toggle one on.

Ah I see, but you can choose what gets assigned to each footswitch right?

I guess the problem would be I'd have to toggle all the others off when I toggle one on.
Yup! You can assign drive to a Footswitch but only when it's in stomp mode. And then you could have the helix send commands to switch off and on that Footswitch.

I know additional midi support has been a common request. But even with hybrid mode it seems like it forces you to split 4/4?

Back