Where should I go next?

Where to go next...

• Go back to Fractal. The Marshalls are calling you

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Get a Helix. You'll be glad when you're editing/building presets

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Go with another Kemper. You'll be glad you've got Performance mode during shows

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Give QC a second chance, it's learned it's lesson

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
I am old enough to know that we as people will just do what we want in the end, so all this is just monkey-babble
to pass the time. The only trouble is we, as humans at a distance, don't have the mutual grooming that a group
of Baboons benefit from when they gather to chatter.

I am old enough to know that we as people will just do what we want in the end, so all this is just monkey-babble
to pass the time. The only trouble is we, as humans at a distance, don't have the mutual grooming that a group
of Baboons benefit from when they gather to chatter.

Which forum offers the most realistic modeling of the butt grooming experience? And obviously we are talking as much about feel as we are tone...

I want to be able to save 7-8 settings on my DSL and recall any of them at will.
Isn't there an amp out there that allows MIDI control, and saving of settings?

This was a huge reason why I went with an ADA MP-1 back in the 90's- I could never understand how people played live without changing their amp settings, at least somewhat, to play covers. I mean, I get the whole, "use different guitars" thing, but for me, having a programmable, MIDI-switchable amp that I can set up with various tones was just what I wanted. I stayed with that same setup for the next 2 decades.

Then, for the same reason, I had always truly wanted a Tri Axis, and I found a fantastic deal on one, so I bought it. Programmable, MIDI-selectable amp settings. But since I got an Axe III shortly thereafter, I really haven't used it much. But if I were ever to gig again, I think I'd want to at least try it in 4CM with the Axe.

I'm not suggesting the answer for you is to go out and buy some 30 year-old rack gear, but the principle of using a real amp that has programmable/switchable presets..., doesn't that still exist?

Heck, try out these NDSP plugins that are on sale, get a workhorse laptop and set up some type of MIDI switcher, and go really crazy with 21st-century digital guitar tech, and use that live!

Pre-owned FM9. Can get one for $2000 right now on reverb or “the other place.” (They aren’t listed at that, but you can likely get one for that).
- has the marshalls you love
- has amazing effects, including the Axe pitch block
- has the variable impedance
- has the switches
- close to the AxeIII - especially now with V4 running Cygna X2

and difficult to tweak? How much do you REALLY tweak at a gig? More than what you can accomplish in seconds with Performance Pages?

Pre-owned FM9. Can get one for $2000 right now on reverb or “the other place.” (They aren’t listed at that, but you can likely get one for that).
- has the switches

and difficult to tweak? How much do you REALLY tweak at a gig? More than what you can accomplish in seconds with Performance Pages?
Where are they at on the waitlist? Last I saw it was cruising pretty good

IMO Helix has upped it's game significantly starting with the introduction of (additional?) oversampling and most recently with the new cab engine. So depending on when when your last data point with Helix came you might find it more to your taste.

But I haven't got any experience with Fractal, Kemper, etc., so I can't really say how they all compare (therefore didn't vote in the poll), only that a 2-year old or older impression of Helix probably isn't entirely representative of Helix today.

Isn't there an amp out there that allows MIDI control, and saving of settings?

This was a huge reason why I went with an ADA MP-1 back in the 90's- I could never understand how people played live without changing their amp settings, at least somewhat, to play covers. I mean, I get the whole, "use different guitars" thing, but for me, having a programmable, MIDI-switchable amp that I can set up with various tones was just what I wanted. I stayed with that same setup for the next 2 decades.

Then, for the same reason, I had always truly wanted a Tri Axis, and I found a fantastic deal on one, so I bought it. Programmable, MIDI-selectable amp settings. But since I got an Axe III shortly thereafter, I really haven't used it much. But if I were ever to gig again, I think I'd want to at least try it in 4CM with the Axe.

I'm not suggesting the answer for you is to go out and buy some 30 year-old rack gear, but the principle of using a real amp that has programmable/switchable presets..., doesn't that still exist?

Heck, try out these NDSP plugins that are on sale, get a workhorse laptop and set up some type of MIDI switcher, and go really crazy with 21st-century digital guitar tech, and use that live!

That would be a fun setup to try, a rack tube preamp plus axe fx 3 for effects. In the end though I’m not sure how much improvement there is from the preamp compared to a modern modeler.

I’m jealous of the cats that can play single channel amps with a couple pedals. Their first instinct is to use their fingers and volume knob to get all their tones. Smart idea.

For covers I think that’s probably just fine, with as many effects as needed to cover signature tones (like a delay for U2 or a chorus pedal for purple rain).

Axe3 and FM9 are the only ways to go in the digital realm .
The other gear is relatively compromised.
Kemper is only good if you have a studio and make your own profiles with your own gear and use them pretty much untweaked.
The QC is half finished.
The others are just plain worse.

Axe3 and FM9 are the only ways to go in the digital realm .
The other gear is relatively compromised.
Kemper is only good if you have a studio and make your own profiles with your own gear and use them pretty much untweaked.
The QC is half finished.
The others are just plain worse.
Soo `Turbo` or FOMO ??

Where are they at on the waitlist? Last I saw it was cruising pretty good
They were cruising real good for a bit there. I was Oct 17 on the waitlist and got mine a while ago. I think they made it to November?

But then ran dry again. They here’s the latest update:

UPDATE NOVEMBER 14, 2022:

In the time since the most recent FM9 invitations were sent, the unit has temporarily sold out.

We expect to restock around the end of this month. When we do, we'll resume sending invitations in large batches to try to make the holidays happy for as many people as possible.

If you already have a purchase invitation but have not yet ordered, you will NOT need to wait again. In this case, you can sign up for special notice when we resupply by forwarding your invitation to sales@fractalaudio.com

Thanks for choosing Fractal Audio

- has the switches

Just to clarify, when I say Fractal is "not as easy to tweak" I don't think Fractal is hard to tweak, it's just that compared to Kemper and Helix it's a little more involved.

One thing I definitely liked about Kemper was having all of those physical buttons and knobs on the device. It made it much faster/easier to tweak on the fly than any of the others.

Just to clarify, when I say Fractal is "not as easy to tweak" I don't think Fractal is hard to tweak, it's just that compared to Kemper and Helix it's a little more involved.

One thing I definitely liked about Kemper was having all of those physical buttons and knobs on the device. It made it much faster/easier to tweak on the fly than any of the others.
Yeah, I get that. And I agree.

But since performance pages gives you the ability to configure any 10 (5 + 5) parameters you want to tweak WITH KNOBS on the front of the unit - I don’t really find that much of an issue as it was before they added this. And you can set globally and per preset. you probably already know this. So YMMV. But maybe others don’t.

52DBDC9E-D9F9-4FD9-9C2A-C23DA740AE96.jpeg

Back