Where should I go next?

Where to go next...

• Go back to Fractal. The Marshalls are calling you

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Get a Helix. You'll be glad when you're editing/building presets

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Go with another Kemper. You'll be glad you've got Performance mode during shows

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Give QC a second chance, it's learned it's lesson

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
Not before I've over-analyzed every option and asked all the same questions I've already answered a hundred times before!

72f2yp.jpg
I'd honestly wait to see what's in 2.0 and if they address the length between updates. But that's just me 😅

I spent the day playing with this setup:

Guitar -> HX Stomp XL IN -> HX send -> DSL40 Input -> DSL fx loop send -> HX Return -> IR block -> out to PA

It sounded killer. And it made me realize a few things:

1. I want my amps separate/independent from my effects. I don’t want both tied up in the same device.
  2. I want the sound of the DSL in a smaller, more portable package. Since I’m not using the speaker, cab, or power section, there’s no reason to lug those things around.
This is making me think maybe a Kemper toaster, or a QC might be the way to go. I’d use either strictly for amps and Profile/Capture the 5-6 sounds I want out of my DSL. Then control it with the HX and use that for effects and setlist/programming creation.

On the QC can you toggle individual blocks with MIDI?

Essentially what I’m realizing I want to do is have the HX be the master controller, and have the amps be in its loop, then use MIDI from the HX to select amp tones per preset/snapshot/stomp.

If UA made a Marshall pedal I’d probably buy 4 of them and use them in a Morningstar ML5

It's funny because that's kind of what I was doing with the HX Stomp XL + Iridium combo. I used the Iridium just for amp/cab modeling and then the Stomp for effects. It was a good setup except there was too much low end in the Iridium Punch channel which I couldn't dial out with EQ and IR selection. Otherwise I probably would have stuck with it.

The reason I bailed and went with the Axe 3 is that I didn't want to futz around with multiple modelers. And then realizing that most likely the guitar cabinet is the biggest factor anyways. In other words, if I had my dream amp setup (be it a Friedman BE-100 Deluxe or Soldano SLO-100 or Synergy modules + power amp), I could probably get 99% of the same tone running the Axe 3 through the same power amp and cabinet.

Yup! You can assign drive to a Footswitch but only when it's in stomp mode. And then you could have the helix send commands to switch off and on that Footswitch.

I know additional midi support has been a common request. But even with hybrid mode it seems like it forces you to split 4/4?

Yeah, the hybrid mode they announced is pretty lame. But with what I have in mind I would never actually use any of the QC controls and it would be doing nothing but toggling between amp Captures in 1 preset.

I suppose if I went that route, I could set up each Scene to have a different Capture ON and then use MIDI to trigger the footswitch to select a Scene for the one I want on

Yeah, the hybrid mode they announced is pretty lame. But with what I have in mind I would never actually use any of the QC controls and it would be doing nothing but toggling between amp Captures in 1 preset.

I suppose if I went that route, I could set up each Scene to have a different Capture ON and then use MIDI to trigger the footswitch to select a Scene for the one I want on
I thought hybrid mode was implemented? :knit

Regardless if you do go the QC route I'd be looking forward to a review! It didn't do it for me on round 2 but I'd be curious how you feel!

It's funny because that's kind of what I was doing with the HX Stomp XL + Iridium combo. I used the Iridium just for amp/cab modeling and then the Stomp for effects. It was a good setup except there was too much low end in the Iridium Punch channel which I couldn't dial out with EQ and IR selection. Otherwise I probably would have stuck with it.

The reason I bailed and went with the Axe 3 is that I didn't want to futz around with multiple modelers. And then realizing that most likely the guitar cabinet is the biggest factor anyways. In other words, if I had my dream amp setup (be it a Friedman BE-100 Deluxe or Soldano SLO-100 or Synergy modules + power amp), I could probably get 99% of the same tone running the Axe 3 through the same power amp and cabinet.

If anyone made a pedal like the Iridium or the UA pedals that was a good Marshall sound I'd buy 3-4 of them, hook them up through an ML5 and use that as a multi channel "amp".

UA really needs to make me a Marshall pedal. I can't believe they didn't have a Marshall in the first release of those things :hmm

If anyone made a pedal like the Iridium or the UA pedals that was a good Marshall sound I'd buy 3-4 of them, hook them up through an ML5 and use that as a multi channel "amp".

UA really needs to make me a Marshall pedal. I can't believe they didn't have a Marshall in the first release of those things :hmm
Firebox is on sale with BF code

Regardless if you do go the QC route I'd be looking forward to a review! It didn't do it for me on round 2 but I'd be curious how you feel!

I'm thinking the one thing that might make it work for me in this case is that I wouldn't be using it for anything but amp sounds.

I'd have 1 preset with 7-8 Captures of my amp loaded and Scenes set up to select which one is active. Then I'd use the HX Stomp to send MIDI to select the one I want.

I wouldn't be using any of it's footswitches, its screen, it's effects, it's amp models, or it's IO. So I'd be avoiding all of the things that annoyed me about it before.

I wouldn't be using any of it's footswitches, its screen, it's effects, it's amp models, or it's IO. So I'd be avoiding all of the things that annoyed me about it before.
Sure but it's a $2000 device. I feel like you could just get a used Kemper toaster for $1200 and get a similar experience.

I imagine there are other options if you are just looking for tones and neglecting what makes the QC unique

I spent the day playing with this setup:

Guitar -> HX Stomp XL IN -> HX send -> DSL40 Input -> DSL fx loop send -> HX Return -> IR block -> out to PA

It sounded killer. And it made me realize a few things:

1. I want my amps separate/independent from my effects. I don’t want both tied up in the same device.
  2. I want the sound of the DSL in a smaller, more portable package. Since I’m not using the speaker, cab, or power section, there’s no reason to lug those things around.
This is making me think maybe a Kemper toaster, or a QC might be the way to go. I’d use either strictly for amps and Profile/Capture the 5-6 sounds I want out of my DSL. Then control it with the HX and use that for effects and setlist/programming creation.

On the QC can you toggle individual blocks with MIDI?

Essentially what I’m realizing I want to do is have the HX be the master controller, and have the amps be in its loop, then use MIDI from the HX to select amp tones per preset/snapshot/stomp.

If UA made a Marshall pedal I’d probably buy 4 of them and use them in a Morningstar ML5

You should get a helix floor for effects and midi control (the easiest midi controller to program I’ve ever seen), a revv generator mk3, and a couple of cabs….

D

Firebox is on sale with BF code

Ooo, tempting to take a chance on those at that price... I've never used Atomic modeling before though.

Sounds like an awfully expensive 8 channel DSL to me. :sofa

If Marshall would like to make me an 8 channel DSL that is MIDI controlled and fits on a pedalboard and is cheaper than a QC that would be cool with me

Sure but it's a $2000 device. I feel like you could just get a used Kemper toaster for $1200 and get a similar experience.

I imagine there are other options if you are just looking for tones and neglecting what makes the QC unique

Yeah... once again it all comes back to wanting a "Kemper Stomp"

The only thing I like better about the QC idea is that it would fit on a pedalboard with the HX Stomp.

Ooo, tempting to take a chance on those at that price... I've never used Atomic modeling before though.

If Marshall would like to make me an 8 channel DSL that is MIDI controlled and fits on a pedalboard and is cheaper than a QC that would be cool with me

The only thing I like better about the QC idea is that it would fit on a pedalboard with the HX Stomp.
Atomic Marshalls are :guiness

The only thing I like better about the QC idea is that it would fit on a pedalboard with the HX Stomp
Totally fair! The QC form factor is a nice sweet spot (although I think the footswitches are a little crammed).

Back