Where should I go next?

Where to go next...

• Go back to Fractal. The Marshalls are calling you

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Get a Helix. You'll be glad when you're editing/building presets

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Go with another Kemper. You'll be glad you've got Performance mode during shows

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Give QC a second chance, it's learned it's lesson

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
Fractal does do that. That's what "Authentic" mode is: just the controls the amp has.

But none of them are being used for modeling. That's the great thing about HX Stomps, they can be used for so many things. One is my master MIDI controller, the other is post-amp effects and acoustic instrument processing.

It seems complicated on the surface, but once it's all put together creating a new preset is as simple as programming 5 MIDI messages in the Stomp, everything is automatically kept in sync, there are built in backups, and best of all during a show instead of trying to remember the tap dance routine to hit all the footswitches in the right places all I have to do is hit one single switch each time I need to change sounds.

So I can focus on the music and not have to worry about the gear as much.

Actually, with this setup the only thing that would need to be on the ground at my feet would be a little 2-button external switch and a volume pedal.

I like to think of it as deferring the problem. Since the whole thing is modular I can easily swap out whatever I'm using for amp sounds at any time. So I could just keep using the DSL for now, and later replace it with a Kemper, or a QC, or whatever else I decide.
What's producing your electric guitar tones then?

What's producing your electric guitar tones then?

Effects before the amp are all the analog pedals, post-amp effects are handled by the HX Stomp XL, and amp tones are whatever I choose to connect to as the "amp" (outside of this board).

So this way I can use my DSL, or I could use a Kemper, a QC, another tube amp, or anything else that makes amp tones and just plug it into this board. Everything else keeps working the same way and I can just swap out whatever amp tone generating device I want without changing anything else.

Effects before the amp are all the analog pedals, post-amp effects are handled by the HX Stomp XL, and amp tones are whatever I choose to connect to as the "amp" (outside of this board).

So this way I can use my DSL, or I could use a Kemper, a QC, another tube amp, or anything else that makes amp tones and just plug it into this board. Everything else keeps working the same way and I can just swap out whatever amp tone generating device I want without changing anything else.
So this monolith is in ADDITION to whatever you are trying to decide on in the OP?

Fractal does do that. That's what "Authentic" mode is: just the controls the amp has.
Sure on some amps, but not the on the Friedman and the Diezel herbert, theres no Fat,C45 switch ( but insted you get a model, so you can not have a Fat + c45 on the same model. Or Mid Cut on the Diezel.

So this monolith is in ADDITION to whatever you are trying to decide on in the OP?

Kind of, yeah. I'm thinking instead of one big device that does everything I might want to try a modular approach with lots of smaller pieces that each do one thing.

So off to the side somewhere I'd have something like this:

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 1.06.18 PM.png

Or this:

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 1.06.35 PM.png

But all I'd have in front of me at my feet would be this:

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 1.06.52 PM.png

Kind of, yeah. I'm thinking instead of one big device that does everything I might want to try a modular approach with lots of smaller pieces that each do one thing.

View attachment 2832

Or this:

View attachment 2833

View attachment 2834

Getting flashbacks to my live rig from a few years ago. It was fun while it lasted. I later moved to a Helix, zero regrets. I actually got a gig or two in large part because they thought my insanely big and complex pedal board rig was cool….

It’s just gear, do it and see how it goes.

D

View attachment 2832

Or this:

View attachment 2833

View attachment 2834
Good to see we've taken care of the form factor issue. ;)

If all of that stuff (apart from the dual switch, tuner, and expr. pedal) is going behind you... I just feel like there has to be a better way. 3 ML5s and 2 HX Stomps and n UAD whatevers... I feel like the whole shebang could be replaced with Kemper and/or Helix Rack. And I'm too much of a cheapskate/ philistine to understand what kind of magic sauce all of the analog pedals bring to the table, but I'd be trying really hard to eliminate any redundancy there. So much stuff. :O

1*D1WibvCnHVp_s1exQh7smg.png

Good to see we've taken care of the form factor issue. ;)

If all of that stuff (apart from the dual switch, tuner, and expr. pedal) is going behind you... I just feel like there has to be a better way. 3 ML5s and 2 HX Stomps and n UAD whatevers... I feel like the whole shebang could be replaced with Kemper and/or Helix Rack. And I'm too much of a cheapskate/ philistine to understand what kind of magic sauce all of the analog pedals bring to the table, but I'd be trying really hard to eliminate any redundancy there. So much stuff. :O

1*D1WibvCnHVp_s1exQh7smg.png

I'm probably over-complicating it, but what I have in my mind is that I want to be able to just create a show order and then cycle through it with one footswitch at a show.

Technically, I could do that with just a Kemper/Fractal/Helix/QC by creating lots of presets and cycling through them. But, then I would have to have a ton of presets, and I'd have to deal with the hassle of keeping all of them in sync. Say I have one amp model I'm using in 20 different places. If I have to update it I have to sync it across 20 presets. You can sort of do that with global blocks in AxeIII, but not nearly as well as just having that amp sitting there where you can reach over and turn a knob while you're playing.

The idea is that for every sound I need there is only one instance of that sound and every place that needs to use it references it from that single place. So instead of having a TubeScreamer block in 30 different presets and then trying to keep them in sync if I make changes, I have one single TubeScreamer and the 30 presets just all point to that single instance.

One single source of truth for every tonal element. Then building presets is simply a matter of selecting the necessary ones and sticking them in the chain.

So then my "preset" is just a MIDI controller sending out the messages to turn on the things I want on. And I can program sequences of these to create song/show orders that I can cycle through easily.

I don't think that approach would make any sense at all for things like cover band gigs, but for gigs where I'm playing the same show in the same order 5 nights a week for 3 months it would be perfect. And any time I need to hire a sub it's really easy for them to learn to control the rig.

I'm probably over-complicating it, but what I have in my mind is that I want to be able to just create a show order and then cycle through it with one footswitch at a show.

Technically, I could do that with just a Kemper/Fractal/Helix/QC by creating lots of presets and cycling through them. But, then I would have to have a ton of presets, and I'd have to deal with the hassle of keeping all of them in sync. Say I have one amp model I'm using in 20 different places. If I have to update it I have to sync it across 20 presets. You can sort of do that with global blocks in AxeIII, but not nearly as well as just having that amp sitting there where you can reach over and turn a knob while you're playing.

The idea is that for every sound I need there is only one instance of that sound and every place that needs to use it references it from that single place. So instead of having a TubeScreamer block in 30 different presets and then trying to keep them in sync if I make changes, I have one single TubeScreamer and the 30 presets just all point to that single instance.

One single source of truth for every tonal element. Then building presets is simply a matter of selecting the necessary ones and sticking them in the chain.

So then my "preset" is just a MIDI controller sending out the messages to turn on the things I want on. And I can program sequences of these to create song/show orders that I can cycle through easily.

I don't think that approach would make any sense at all for things like cover band gigs, but for gigs where I'm playing the same show in the same order 5 nights a week for 3 months it would be perfect. And any time I need to hire a sub it's really easy for them to learn to control the rig.
I want to take this gif

200.gif

and embed it within each sunglass frame

Well looks like the QC is out of stock at the moment from SW but I imagine that will replenish for the holidays. Although with fractal saying parts are going to be hard to come by, I wouldn't wait too much longer to come to a decision.

Back