Where should I go next?

Where to go next...

• Go back to Fractal. The Marshalls are calling you

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Get a Helix. You'll be glad when you're editing/building presets

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Go with another Kemper. You'll be glad you've got Performance mode during shows

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Give QC a second chance, it's learned it's lesson

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
Ok. This is where I think I'm going. Tell me what you think about this plan.

View attachment 2829

So:
  • Electric, and all other instruments go into the ML5 #1
  • Output from ML5 goes to the VP with the tuner in its loop. This gives me one single place to mute/tune and control level for all instruments.
  • Output of VP goes to ML5 #2.
    • For all acoustic instruments, this sends the signal directly to the HX Stomp XL RETURN
      • HX Stomp XL handles all processing for acoustic instruments, and sends them out the SEND to the DI at the top right
      • The DI is 2 DI's stacked with a volume knob on top. #1 goes to FOH, volume knob is before #2 which goes to my "FRFR" monitor so I can control its level without changing the level I send to FOH
    • For electric:
      • the Deep Six is in one loop so it can either be turned on/off with MIDI, or I can control it manually, and it is only active for electric.
      • Cry Baby is in another loop for the same purpose.
      • Output goes to ML5 #3
  • ML5 #3 has all of the stomps in its loops so I can control which ones are on with MIDI.
    • These are "pedal" specific drive/fuzz sounds, boosts, and an analog delay so I can have one delay before the amp.
  • Output of ML5 #3 goes to the input of the "amp" (which could be my DSL40, a Kemper, a QC, or anything else that makes amp tones)
  • The effects loop of the "amp" goes to the HX Stomp XL in/out and it contains all post-amp effects
  • Output of the amp goes to FOH
The HX Stomp in the bottom left Is just acting as a master MIDI controller. It's set up for the switches to go up/down presets. Each preset sends MIDI signals to:
  • ML5 #1 to select the active instrument
  • ML5 #2 to route for acoustic/electric instruments
  • ML5 #3 to select which pre-amp effects are on
  • HX Stomp XL to select either the appropriate acoustic instrument preset, or the post-amp effects for electric
  • "Amp" to change channels/solo boost/etc

This seems complicated, but it actually makes preset creation much faster and simpler because I only need to have 1 of each sound, and creating presets is just a matter of programming 5 MIDI messages in one controller.

For every new preset I need all I have to do is program 5 MIDI messages in the HX Stomp, and I'm done. Then I create a show order of presets in the HX Stomp and all I have to do during a show is hit one button to advance to the next preset.

So during shows I won't have to do anything but press one footswitch at each change. And the HX Stomp preset names give me an easy way to see exactly where I'm at in my show order
I 100% approve of this message

View attachment 2829

So:
  • Output from ML5 goes to the VP with the tuner in its loop. This gives me one single place to mute/tune and control level for all instruments.
    • For all acoustic instruments, this sends the signal directly to the HX Stomp XL RETURN
      • HX Stomp XL handles all processing for acoustic instruments, and sends them out the SEND to the DI at the top right
      • The DI is 2 DI's stacked with a volume knob on top. #1 goes to FOH, volume knob is before #2 which goes to my "FRFR" monitor so I can control its level without changing the level I send to FOH
    • For electric:
      • the Deep Six is in one loop so it can either be turned on/off with MIDI, or I can control it manually, and it is only active for electric.
      • Output goes to ML5 #3
  • ML5 #3 has all of the stomps in its loops so I can control which ones are on with MIDI.
    • These are "pedal" specific drive/fuzz sounds, boosts, and an analog delay so I can have one delay before the amp.
  • Output of ML5 #3 goes to the input of the "amp" (which could be my DSL40, a Kemper, a QC, or anything else that makes amp tones)
  • The effects loop of the "amp" goes to the HX Stomp XL in/out and it contains all post-amp effects
The HX Stomp in the bottom left Is just acting as a master MIDI controller. It's set up for the switches to go up/down presets. Each preset sends MIDI signals to:
  • HX Stomp XL to select either the appropriate acoustic instrument preset, or the post-amp effects for electric

This seems complicated, but it actually makes preset creation much faster and simpler because I only need to have 1 of each sound, and creating presets is just a matter of programming 5 MIDI messages in one controller.

For every new preset I need all I have to do is program 5 MIDI messages in the HX Stomp, and I'm done. Then I create a show order of presets in the HX Stomp and all I have to do during a show is hit one button to advance to the next preset.

So during shows I won't have to do anything but press one footswitch at each change. And the HX Stomp preset names give me an easy way to see exactly where I'm at in my show order
I've got a Terra FS. Hit me up!

View attachment 2829

So:
    • For electric:
      • Output goes to ML5 #3

That's... that's a lot of HX Stomps.

OK, now I'll start reading LOL.

I prefer models over captures/profiles as well, and gravitate toward QC models for the most part. I like having the authentic controls at hand. Occasionally a capture will just bowl me over and I'll use it for a while.

But yeah, there's no denying that FAS has NDSP beat in terms of variety and depth on the modeling side.
I love the way NDSP does it with the amp models..take the Friedman BE..I can turn on or off the FAT, C45, Bright and the SAT. On fractal you have a model for all of these, but can not take a FAT with C45 at the same time ( I think ?? hmm been to long since I had a Axe Fx )

Take the Diezel Herbert on the QC the model has the Mid Cut knobs ( the fractal has not ) and the list goes on and on

I don`t get way fractal can`t just make a model that has what the amp has , but give me 130 things i can do to the amp otherwise :rofl
I would just like to have `the amp`

But some folks like this, I get that.. to tweek stuff. Diffents folks, diff strokes

I love the way NDSP does it with the amp models..take the Friedman BE..I can turn on or off the FAT, C45, Bright and the SAT. On fractal you have a model for all of these, but can not take a FAT with C45 at the same time ( I think ?? hmm been to long since I had a Axe Fx )

Take the Diezel Herbert on the QC the model has the Mid Cut knobs ( the fractal has not ) and the list goes on and on

I don`t get way fractal can`t just make a model that has what the amp has , but give me 130 things i can do to the amp otherwise :rofl

But some folks like this, I get that.. to tweek stuff. Diffents folks, diff strokes
I've never owned a Fractal anything, so I hesitate to criticize in any way. I'm sure they have their reasons. But I agree the switching options on the QC models are excellent. :)

I've never owned a Fractal anything, so I hesitate to criticize in any way. I'm sure they have their reasons. But I agree the switching options on the QC models are excellent. :)
I love the Fractal sound, I just found out that i love to keep thing tight using the unit, and the models and the capture stuff is just fun

View attachment 2829

So:
    • For electric:
      • Output goes to ML5 #3

I had a mild panic attack looking at the picture.

View attachment 2829

So:
    • For electric:
      • Output goes to ML5 #3

You appear to have solved everything except your stated problem.

;)

So what can you do with this that makes practical sense? Go from amp capture to amp capture to amp capture? Or stack 11 gain pedal captures into a single amp capture? How does that even translate in what you audibly hear from the unit? I guess I am asking is this just creating the problem described in the "Down on using all sorts of different amp models" thread?

Kitchen sink preset where you can surf between 12 different amp or drive combinations. It would be too convoluted for a gig preset, but for jamming/practicing it’s pretty badass to have all your favorite amp captures at your foot in a single preset.

Kitchen sink preset where you can surf between 12 different amp or drive combinations. It would be too convoluted for a gig preset, but for jamming/practicing it’s pretty badass to have all your favorite amp captures at your foot in a single preset.
Or even just a legit recreation of your big ass pedal board. I don't need (or even want) 5 different ODs at the same time, but lots of players have this many dirt pedals on their boards for variety and/or stacking. Also, it doesn't need to be all captures. Replace half of them with modulation/ delay or whatever - the DSP and block count is still valuable. (Just as it is on Helix, Fractal, etc.)

Or even just a legit recreation of your big ass pedal board. I don't need (or even want) 5 different ODs at the same time, but lots of players have this many dirt pedals on their boards for variety and/or stacking. Also, it doesn't need to be all captures. Replace half of them with modulation/ delay or whatever - the DSP and block count is still valuable. (Just as it is on Helix, Fractal, etc.)
So OD captures; what controls/parameters do you have on them? A real dirt pedal usually has tone, level, gain, etc. Does a pedal capture have the same parameters?

So OD captures; what controls/parameters do you have on them? A real dirt pedal usually has tone, level, gain, etc. Does a pedal capture have the same parameters?
You have gain, BMT, level... but they're not going to be authentic. Think Kemper profile here, but imagine being able to cascade one into another, e.g. OD->OD->Amp. And you can mix and match modeled blocks (with authentic controls) as needed.

If you wanted an OD pedal at broadly different settings, reflecting the authentic behavior of that pedal, you'd want to take (or download) several captures - just as with Kemper. (The cool thing is that you could put all of those captures in one preset, and toggle between them as needed - a good application of the flexibility we were just discussing.)

You have gain, BMT, level... but they're not going to be authentic. Think Kemper profile here, but imagine being able to cascade one into another, e.g. OD->OD->Amp. And you can mix and match modeled blocks (with authentic controls) as needed.
That makes sense and what I expected.

If you wanted an OD pedal at broadly different settings, reflecting the authentic behavior of that pedal, you'd want to take (or download) several captures - just as with Kemper. (The cool thing is that you could put all of those captures in one preset, and toggle between them as needed - a good application of the flexibility we were just discussing.)
LYnJmwx.gif

Fractal does do that. That's what "Authentic" mode is: just the controls the amp has.

That's... that's a lot of HX Stomps.

OK, now I'll start reading LOL.
I don't like L6 modeling. I should probably add 5 Helixeseseses to my board.
:rollsafe

But none of them are being used for modeling. That's the great thing about HX Stomps, they can be used for so many things. One is my master MIDI controller, the other is post-amp effects and acoustic instrument processing.

I had a mild panic attack looking at the picture.

It seems complicated on the surface, but once it's all put together creating a new preset is as simple as programming 5 MIDI messages in the Stomp, everything is automatically kept in sync, there are built in backups, and best of all during a show instead of trying to remember the tap dance routine to hit all the footswitches in the right places all I have to do is hit one single switch each time I need to change sounds.

So I can focus on the music and not have to worry about the gear as much.

Actually, with this setup the only thing that would need to be on the ground at my feet would be a little 2-button external switch and a volume pedal.

You appear to have solved everything except your stated problem.

;)

I like to think of it as deferring the problem. Since the whole thing is modular I can easily swap out whatever I'm using for amp sounds at any time. So I could just keep using the DSL for now, and later replace it with a Kemper, or a QC, or whatever else I decide.

Back