Where should I go next?

Where to go next...

• Go back to Fractal. The Marshalls are calling you

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Get a Helix. You'll be glad when you're editing/building presets

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Go with another Kemper. You'll be glad you've got Performance mode during shows

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Give QC a second chance, it's learned it's lesson

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
youtube animation GIF by Channel Frederator

Haha! Definitely some Rube Goldberg up in this thread.

Dogs Machine GIF

I like the cut of your jib. But how do you or the sub know what song you are on?

This is what I'm thinking. The HX Stomp will be set up so the presets are in the show order. I could use a 2-button FS to toggle presets, but then I wouldn't be able to see where I am without seeing the Stomp.

So I could either put the Stomp with me, or I could keep it in the rack, and use a MIDI Mouse with me to send PCs to the Stomp. Then I could see the PC # at my feet and I could mark those numbers in the score.

13_MIDIMOUSE.png

Well honestly I was thinking both, as you had two Stomps plus a Kemper/amp and three MIDI switchers.

If you used the Axe 3 for the carbon copy, a couple boosts, and the compressor, you could likely get rid of all the pedals and switchers except for maybe the fuzz (and maybe one other drive). The Axe 3 should be able to handle all the switching for the Kemper too via MIDI. You could probably sub in the Helix rack for the Axe as well if you prefer that.

I suppose another option would be to use something like a Morningstar or RJM controller to also send the MIDI data to control the other devices. Again that seems simpler to me...

Maybe. Right now I'm thinking I might want to keep my pre-amp effects separate from my post-amp effects though so I don't run into situations where I want to change one but not the other but can't. I'd have to go back to the idea of either a kitchen sink where I use stomps, or I'd have to use a preset-per-song approach and then again I lose the whole single-purpose thing.

I could use an AxeFX for all of my post-effects, but it would be a lot more expensive

This is what I'm thinking. The HX Stomp will be set up so the presets are in the show order. I could use a 2-button FS to toggle presets, but then I wouldn't be able to see where I am without seeing the Stomp.

So I could either put the Stomp with me, or I could keep it in the rack, and use a MIDI Mouse with me to send PCs to the Stomp. Then I could see the PC # at my feet and I could mark those numbers in the score.

13_MIDIMOUSE.png
Since one of those Stomps is intended for MIDI only, it does make a lot of sense to keep it up front and use its switches and display. It's also pretty trivial to get a Stomp running on battery power, if that helps with cable runs/ portability at all. (There are even some very good solutions for wireless MIDI, but that might be pushing your luck...)

Since one of those Stomps is intended for MIDI only, it does make a lot of sense to keep it up front and use its switches and display. It's also pretty trivial to get a Stomp running on battery power, if that helps with cable runs/ portability at all. (There are even some very good solutions for wireless MIDI, but that might be pushing your luck...)

Yeah, I'm starting to think that's not a bad idea. Plus I could have the title of the preset indicate the song and measure number so I would have more visual indication of where I'm at.

And, I could even send the TUNER out of a VP JR to the input of the Stomp and use the Stomp as a tuner!

Which would mean all I'd need would be the VP and Stomp at the board with me. I would have to run two 1/4" cables for the VP so it wouldn't be a big deal to run a MIDI cable along with that. Otherwise I'd consider wireless MIDI. Battery power would be cool, but for gigs where I'm settling in for the long haul it's no big deal to just use the Stomp power supply since it's the only thing I'd need to power

Rack:

View attachment 2849

Pedalboard with me:

View attachment 2850

You guys have to admit that rig isn't that crazy. I've seen way more complicated pedalboard rigs over in the P&W threads at the other place.
We are definitely making progress now! I lost track of how we managed to get rid of one of the Stomps along the way, but less is more. :)

As for maybe eventually embracing a completely wireless board up front - don't forget that you could just run the expr. pedal into the HX Stomp, and then run MIDI CC via your one MIDI cable, or a pair of CME WIDI Masters or whatever.

We are definitely making progress now! I lost track of how we managed to get rid of one of the Stomps along the way, but less is more. :)

As for maybe eventually embracing a completely wireless board up front - don't forget that you could just run the expr. pedal into the HX Stomp, and then run MIDI CC via your one MIDI cable, or a pair of CME WIDI Masters or whatever.
Rooster Teeth Off Topic GIF by Achievement Hunter

Ohhhh, that's brilliant. You're right! I could use an EXP instead, send the MIDI to the Kemper, and use it to control the volume in the Kemper.

I got rid of the other Stomp by including the other pedals for post-amp effects and assuming I'd be able to use the Kemper for acoustic instrument processing

Back