Where should I go next?

Where to go next...

• Go back to Fractal. The Marshalls are calling you

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Get a Helix. You'll be glad when you're editing/building presets

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Go with another Kemper. You'll be glad you've got Performance mode during shows

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Give QC a second chance, it's learned it's lesson

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
I did but I never used 8 captures in one. My patches were quite basic. Way back when (around launch) I know there was a limit and people complained about it
12 captures and a Pitch, a delay and reverb Not bad ?
Screenshot_2022-11-30-18-03-33-097_com.miui.gallery.jpg

12 captures and a Pitch, a delay and reverb Not bad ?View attachment 2828
So what can you do with this that makes practical sense? Go from amp capture to amp capture to amp capture? Or stack 11 gain pedal captures into a single amp capture? How does that even translate in what you audibly hear from the unit? I guess I am asking is this just creating the problem described in the "Down on using all sorts of different amp models" thread?

So what can you do with this that makes practical sense? Go from amp capture to amp capture to amp capture? Or stack 11 gain pedal captures into a single amp capture? How does that even translate in what you audibly hear from the unit? I guess I am asking is this just creating the problem described in the "Down on using all sorts of different amp models" thread?
This is why I have a love for scribble strips. Helix is the king of that customization. To me this isn't worth much but idk how many would actually have this preset in a workable fashion

This is why I have a love for scribble strips. Helix is the king of that customization. To me this isn't worth much but idk how many would actually have this preset in a workable fashion
I am asking sincerely. I know there's a history :bag :rofl but just trying to wrap my head around something that makes sense versus overcomplicating something because you can. He said. Hypocritically.

I'd never use that many captures in one block, personally. But I can see winding up with 6 or 7, if you're the kind of guy who likes 3 different drive pedals in front of a 3 channel amp, for instance? I'm not that much of an OD connoisseur, but I read about crazy stuff like this all the time?

Point is the DSP is there, and the UI isn't hardcoded to prevent anything like this, so you have the flexibility.

I think @SeeD just threw that preset together to answer the question.

P.S. Just lol'd at your post because I finally noticed the "Hypocritically" footnote. :D

Last edited:
I am asking sincerely. I know there's a history :bag :rofl but just trying to wrap my head around something that makes sense versus overcomplicating something because you can. He said. Hypocritically.
Oh I agree. I'm also curious as well. I truly couldnt care less what Seed or anyone uses lol we all know my stance on the QC but honestly most of it is from their marketing and slimy ways. There is no denying the QC sounds great. I just prefer modelers these days instead of captures/profiles so I gravitate towards the unit with the most (and to me the best) models...fractal.

I don't take people using another device as a slight and others shouldn't either lol

I would not stack 12 Bogner Uberschall `s THAT would be a mess haha!

Yeah one to the next, these could be all different amps, drives, cabs captures.
So you could take 1 boost, 1 drive, into 1 or 2 amp captures into different amp captures. This way you could get 12 different captures in 1 preset, 1-2-5-7-on or off at a time

I'd never use that many captures in one block, personally. But I can see winding up with 6 or 7, if you're the kind of guy who likes 3 different drive pedals in front of a 3 channel amp, for instance? I'm not that much of an OD connoisseur, but I read about crazy stuff like this all the time?

Point is the DSP is there, and the UI isn't hardcoded to prevent anything like this, so you have the flexibility.

I think @SeeD just threw that preset together to answer the question.
So how does this sound? You just use whatever their equivalent of snapshots are turn one capture on and another one off? Is there a gap or how does translate?

Oh I agree. I'm also curious as well. I truly couldnt care less what Seed or anyone uses lol we all know my stance on the QC but honestly most of it is from their marketing and slimy ways. There is no denying the QC sounds great. I just prefer modelers these days instead of captures/profiles so I gravitate towards the unit with the most (and to me the best) models...fractal.

I don't take people using another device as a slight and others shouldn't either lol
It does models as well :sofa

So how does this sound? You just use whatever their equivalent of snapshots are turn one capture on and another one off? Is there a gap or how does translate?
That's the easiest way to do it, yeah. You can also assign combinations of blocks to pedals in Stomp mode, depending.

Changes to block bypass are instantaneous. I'm already on record as to how it sounds. :D

I just prefer modelers these days instead of captures/profiles so I gravitate towards the unit with the most (and to me the best) models...fractal.
I prefer models over captures/profiles as well, and gravitate toward QC models for the most part. I like having the authentic controls at hand. Occasionally a capture will just bowl me over and I'll use it for a while.

But yeah, there's no denying that FAS has NDSP beat in terms of variety and depth on the modeling side.

I prefer models over captures/profiles as well, and gravitate toward QC models for the most part. I like having the authentic controls at hand. Occasionally a capture will just bowl me over and I'll use it for a while.

But yeah, there's no denying that FAS has NDSP beat in terms of variety and depth on the modeling side.
It was super nice having the plus/minus, mid cut, etc on the Herbert models for example. I did really like that

Ok. This is where I think I'm going. Tell me what you think about this plan.

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 10.08.19 AM.png

So:
  • Electric, and all other instruments go into the ML5 #1
  • Output from ML5 goes to the VP with the tuner in its loop. This gives me one single place to mute/tune and control level for all instruments.
  • Output of VP goes to ML5 #2.
    • For all acoustic instruments, this sends the signal directly to the HX Stomp XL RETURN
      • HX Stomp XL handles all processing for acoustic instruments, and sends them out the SEND to the DI at the top right
      • The DI is 2 DI's stacked with a volume knob on top. #1 goes to FOH, volume knob is before #2 which goes to my "FRFR" monitor so I can control its level without changing the level I send to FOH
    • For electric:
      • the Deep Six is in one loop so it can either be turned on/off with MIDI, or I can control it manually, and it is only active for electric.
      • Cry Baby is in another loop for the same purpose.
      • Output goes to ML5 #3
  • ML5 #3 has all of the stomps in its loops so I can control which ones are on with MIDI.
    • These are "pedal" specific drive/fuzz sounds, boosts, and an analog delay so I can have one delay before the amp.
  • Output of ML5 #3 goes to the input of the "amp" (which could be my DSL40, a Kemper, a QC, or anything else that makes amp tones)
  • The effects loop of the "amp" goes to the HX Stomp XL in/out and it contains all post-amp effects
  • Output of the amp goes to FOH
The HX Stomp in the bottom left Is just acting as a master MIDI controller. It's set up for the switches to go up/down presets. Each preset sends MIDI signals to:
  • ML5 #1 to select the active instrument
  • ML5 #2 to route for acoustic/electric instruments
  • ML5 #3 to select which pre-amp effects are on
  • HX Stomp XL to select either the appropriate acoustic instrument preset, or the post-amp effects for electric
  • "Amp" to change channels/solo boost/etc

This seems complicated, but it actually makes preset creation much faster and simpler because I only need to have 1 of each sound, and creating presets is just a matter of programming 5 MIDI messages in one controller.

For every new preset I need all I have to do is program 5 MIDI messages in the HX Stomp, and I'm done. Then I create a show order of presets in the HX Stomp and all I have to do during a show is hit one button to advance to the next preset.

So during shows I won't have to do anything but press one footswitch at each change. And the HX Stomp preset names give me an easy way to see exactly where I'm at in my show order

Back