What do you want from a modeller that the current options don't give you???

Hmmm - right now I would say support forums that are happy to deal with all points, positive or negative. Most of the more expensive modellers probably have those already but… the company who made a modeller I bought recently doesn’t. o_O

Just a thought:

You could try starting an owners thread here for community support. Obviously not much is going to happen in the thread initially, because I think the only other member here to own one so far was Jive and he's moved his on. Would be tumbleweeds for a bit.

But theorectically, it could grow after a few weeks (or months) and then become useful.

It could also be a total disaster ofc.

Even though my preference is plugins, if I am going to have a HW unit, I’d prefer something rackmountable that hooks up easily to a patchbay. Comprehensive I/O options are handy if I’m forced into having a HW unit, at least that way it can be easily combined with a wide range of other gear.

Maybe some kind of modular system would work for me, where the user can choose a certain form factor as a dock, and then choose the amount of DSP, screen and I/O as modules and mix and match accordingly.

I’d be quite happy with a rackmountable FM-3 that only has a basic on board screen, but has more I/O. I don’t need flagship levels of DSP, nor on board screens. I also don’t need footswitches.

I actually feel like a modeller that can run as a plugin, on a HW unit, and even on an ipad would be appealing, just to have that parity of sounds on a range of devices. I like not being tied to a specific HW box, but to be able to adapt to different circumstances accordingly.

I think we've long crossed a quality threshold for modelers. Any of the big boys on the market today can be made to sound spectacular.

For me, the event of IRs has sealed the deal. Sure, there's plenty of things left to be desired, especially in case you're after a specific/authentic amp sound and/or an even more specific/authentic amp behaviour, but in case you're not (*check* for me), we're pretty much done regarding amp sounds.

A wish that Santa brings me a modeler that doesn't disturb my fragility when cruel people criticizes my choice at the forums
Spider Man Crying GIF
Fight Sobbing GIF by FoilArmsandHog

All modelers:
Virtual 4cm rig. Basically throw all mod/time efx in a preset that you can recall with a CC…without changing amp/cab.
To me a more effective approach then scenes…which try to accommodate more or less the same need.

Kemper:
- Ability to split the global EQs in L/R…reason is I play stereo setups…and want to control each side separately. (Currently boss is the only one with that feature afaik)
- Ability to apply “speaker imprints“..to one side only..that would allow me to combine a Kone and a regular speaker for stage monitoring.
- nice to have: throw regular Modeling into the mix.
- Release that core/stomp size unit GD it ;)

All but Boss:
Poly octaver…I use that a lot

General:
- Id be interested in a product like Boss Gigcaster with a more extensive IO set…loop, sub outs, midi.
- Wireless footcontrol

I know this is basic, but a Helix LT in a Pod Go enclosure with double the DSP would set me up for another decade.

I'd kill for a dual-DSP Helix in smaller form factor. Remove the built-in expression pedal, give it 8 footwswiches, and i'll buy two.

1) Global Blocks (only available in the Axe FX III and the GT-1000, both not what I necessarily wanted to use).
2a) Lots of knobs plus an option to expand them. Same goes for switches.
These!
2a in particular is the only thing I'm really missing from my analog days, the tweakability on the fly (sure, my fm9 has performance pages, but still quite limited)

Another idea - some kind of smart organisation that can maybe suggest what you are going to do.

So rather than just having a favourites or block library folder, it could have a “smart” favourites that’ll notice typical habits - for instance, if your preset doesn’t have any delay, it’ll list your favourite delays in order of what’s most commonly used, with some most commonly used settings as a starting point. The same could be true for pedals or cabs or mics or amps or whatever else.

It obviously would need to be handled in a way that isn’t clunky or annoying, but if done right it could easily save several steps/additional clicks.

It could also pick up on user habits, like if someone commonly uses a specific block on the grid for an effect, that it’ll expect that might be what the user is going to do.

I think we each typically develop small habits in how we use modellers, and over the course of time we find ourselves making a LOT of repetitive moves with how we use them. If it can help improve scrolling, clicking, menu diving, page tabbing, recalling, saving etc then I’m all for it.

There could also be tools that can analyse and organise presets in a smart and intuitive manner. Maybe it can identify presets that are very similar, or ones that may work by combining into snapshots (or channels in fractal devices). It could also identify ways to free up DSP or even automatically group presets with similar criteria.

Would be awesome if they could show all presets that feature the same cab, or the same amp model, or even just organising by a similar amount of gain.

Another idea - some kind of smart organisation that can maybe suggest what you are going to do.

So rather than just having a favourites or block library folder, it could have a “smart” favourites that’ll notice typical habits - for instance, if your preset doesn’t have any delay, it’ll list your favourite delays in order of what’s most commonly used, with some most commonly used settings as a starting point. The same could be true for pedals or cabs or mics or amps or whatever else.

It obviously would need to be handled in a way that isn’t clunky or annoying, but if done right it could easily save several steps/additional clicks.

It could also pick up on user habits, like if someone commonly uses a specific block on the grid for an effect, that it’ll expect that might be what the user is going to do.

I think we each typically develop small habits in how we use modellers, and over the course of time we find ourselves making a LOT of repetitive moves with how we use them. If it can help improve scrolling, clicking, menu diving, page tabbing, recalling, saving etc then I’m all for it.

There could also be tools that can analyse and organise presets in a smart and intuitive manner. Maybe it can identify presets that are very similar, or ones that may work by combining into snapshots (or channels in fractal devices). It could also identify ways to free up DSP or even automatically group presets with similar criteria.

Would be awesome if they could show all presets that feature the same cab, or the same amp model, or even just organising by a similar amount of gain.
You would have to make sure that experience is like my Nest thermostat and not like the Microsoft paperclip.

Back