What do you want from a modeller that the current options don't give you???

Orvillain

Rock Star
Edgelord
I thought this could be fun. What do you want from a modeller that none of the current options give you?

That would be really cool. I'd play around with it. They probably wouldn't sell many though because 99% of guitarists are not EE nerds?

Or are they?
It would be fun. But too much adjustability could be a bad thing. There are already too many options now. :rofl

1) Global Blocks (only available in the Axe FX III and the GT-1000, both not what I necessarily wanted to use).
2a) Lots of knobs plus an option to expand them. Same goes for switches. Goes hand in hand with...
2b) A decent mobile editor offering a) plain editing modes, b) a sort of "performance" mode that could be used for finetuning and/or live tweaking (think Kaos Pad and what not).
3) Decent Synthesizing options. Along with that...
4) Modulators (only partially available in the Axe FX and rudimentary in the GT-1000).
5) Option to load long IRs, so reverbs and such could be realized.
6) Anything such as the mentioned "breadboard" thing.
7) U-He's MFM2 as the delay to rule them all.

It's digitally controlled analogue components rather than pure digital modelling, and not totally breadboard either; but in the very near future your best bet might be the Amp X...

... if it ever makes it into final production. I don't know how much control one has over the components though. Probably won't be able to build the circuits yourself. Hmm. Maybe scratch that!
I know, it's a terrible idea. Scrap it!!

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

I know, it's a terrible idea. Scrap it!!

IMO it should be a somewhat simpified breadbox mode. Just let me slap different preamp. tonestack and poweramp topologies together. I would defenitely like a preamp with full tonestacks both pre- and post-gain. Sure, there's always EQs, but you need to set them up and save the shebang as a full preset, would be much easier to deal with as an amp preset only.

I think something where users can build/edit/share amp circuits would be rad. I’d rather that in a plugin, would be a nightmare to have in a HW unit except as a playback device.

Would be awesome to have the classics there, but also a way of tinkering with circuit values and modding.

I think cabinet modelling could also do with a similar level of obsession, IR’s are great but it would be great if there was more focus on the physical properties and interactions, as well as variations of different speaker types, positions in the cab etc.

Form factor and onboard UI of QC. Modeling, effects and editor of Fractal. Pedal edit mode from Helix. Captures from NAM or Tonex.

For me a desktop type unit would be nice, but I'd rather not have a rack unit. Only reason I own an Axe-Fx 3 is that the FM9 was months away from European release at the time and someone was selling the 3 for a very good price.

All of the units on the market do like 2/3 of the things I want so it's a bit of a goldilocks situation where none of them are quite right. Fractal for me is still the compromises I can live with, though I'll recommend a Helix Floor any day to others.

The BluGuitar Amp X is on paper something I should love as I really like my Amp 1 ME and would recommend it any day too. But I fear the Amp X will be outdated in the way it operates by the time it releases. I'm sure it will sound good tho!

Things I'd love to see that no unit currently on the market does:
  • Multiple block editing side by side. Drive vs amp. Amp vs cab. Delay vs reverb. Delay 1 vs delay 2. There's so many cases where you might want to adjust block A together with block B but on every modeler it requires flipping between two blocks.
  • Knob control expansion with your favorite MIDI controller.
    • MIDI mapping of any parameter.
    • Global parameter mappings instead of per preset.
    • Context-based editing so MIDI CCs map to whatever controls are on screen. On Helix you can replicate the onboard controls but you can't add for example more knobs to a HX Stomp this way.
    • Relative value support. Controller sends "up/down" values instead of "set to this value". The modeler is the source of truth for value changes. This allows values to track between preset changes without having to report the value to the MIDI controller.
    • Tracking absolute values by sending MIDI CC values back to controller when changed from another source (onboard knobs, editor software or preset changes).
    • Pop up mapped control on device screen if you adjust it from the controller - easy to track what mappings are set and what the values are.
  • Ability to automatically match volume levels of two things. Just today I was messing with Fractal's Plexi models and found they had differences in output level with the same settings. To compare properly, some needed a few dB more or less level. If I could say "match the level to channel B" or something that would be very convenient.
  • Morphing between several effects. I know you can build this, but it's complicated. I'm thinking something closer to what my Strymon Deco or Zelzah does where it's literally 1 knob to turn the Deco from flanger to chorus to delay, or Zelzah from phaser to flanger to chorus.

For me, I’d like Fractal-level modeling (quality and quantity of models) with a Line 6 Helix UI, but with the ability to turn off all the deep parameters so they are hidden and don’t have to be scrolled through. A simple toggle for this in the global settings would suffice.

Wireless editing and updating from both a computer and mobile device. It’s 2023. This should be standard on all modelers by now.

A set of physical knobs like the AX8 had that can be assigned to global settings. Yes, I know the performance page on the Fractal is similar, but the AX8 did it better IMO.

Side note: After using Apple touchscreens since the original iPhone was released in 2007, every touchscreen I’ve tried in modelers has proven to be inferior IMO. So unless someone could reach that level of accuracy and response, I can live without one.

Side note: After using Apple touchscreens since the original iPhone was released in 2007, every touchscreen I’ve tried in modelers has proven to be inferior IMO. So unless someone could reach that level of accuracy and response, I can live without one.
That's definitely one of the tougher things to get right. Apple and Android phone makers put a lot of effort into how smoothly all the touch stuff works, how it detects accidental presses and more. At the same time a floor modeler touchscreen should be very robust so it doesn't break easily.

Multiple block editing side by side. Drive vs amp. Amp vs cab. Delay vs reverb. Delay 1 vs delay 2. There's so many cases where you might want to adjust block A together with block B but on every modeler it requires flipping between two blocks.
I've never even thought of this. You could open individual blocks like plugins in a daw. I like it.

Youre Good Robert Deniro GIF

Multiple block editing side by side. Drive vs amp. Amp vs cab. Delay vs reverb. Delay 1 vs delay 2. There's so many cases where you might want to adjust block A together with block B but on every modeler it requires flipping between two blocks.

Yeah, this please!
And all the things regarding controller management that you've mentioned, too.

I think cabinet modelling could also do with a similar level of obsession, IR’s are great but it would be great if there was more focus on the physical properties and interactions, as well as variations of different speaker types, positions in the cab etc.

+1

The ability to flip between different speakers in each cab would be great. I’m surprised nobody has tried this, but then again it requires having to build an IR pack per speaker per cab, and that scales out to a massive project.

Back