What are we watching now?

Carpenter's bitterness shouldn't matter to me as a fan but it does and it certainly does get kinda tiring. Dude made some great flicks in my estimation and should be proud of that fact. Horror and otherwise. I am not sure where he feels like he doesn't get his due?
He had to do cheesy horror flicks with everyone wanting to talk about Michael Myers. He's very much, "fuck you, shut up, pay me." He ended an interview once with, "are we done? I have a drug dealer I need to meet up with." As far as the box office is concerned, I looked it up once, and if memory serves, the bulk of his films barely broke even. Quite a few of them lost money, too.

I mean, for fucks sake, the guy does The Thing, gets chastised for it because of ET, then apologize with that godawful Starman film. Yuck!

He had to do cheesy horror flicks with everyone wanting to talk about Michael Myers. He's very much, "fuck you, shut up, pay me." He ended an interview once with, "are we done? I have a drug dealer I need to meet up with." As far as the box office is concerned, I looked it up once, and if memory serves, the bulk of his films barely broke even. Quite a few of them lost money, too.

I mean, for fucks sake, the guy does The Thing, gets chastised for it because of ET, then apologize with that godawful Starman film. Yuck!
We watched Starman for I think the first time here a month or so ago? Jeff Bridges is sooooo awkward in it and Carpenter doesn't really have the tone for things beyond comedy and horror. Didn't they win an oscar for Starman in some capacity?

Also, Big Trouble in Little China is awesome, but I swear to God, if they do a remake, especially with "Duh-wayne!" I'm going to lose it. He cannot act (sorry, but he can't) and it will be completely terrible.
I liked him in the Rundown. Walking Tall and (I think iirc) that Snitch flick he was in was solid. And I like his persona overall. Everything else; hard pass.

We watched Starman for I think the first time here a month or so ago? Jeff Bridges is sooooo awkward in it and Carpenter doesn't really have the tone for things beyond comedy and horror. Didn't they win an oscar for Starman in some capacity?
Don't know, couldn't care less. I like Jeff Bridges as an actor, and if only for The Big Lebowski alone, he'd still be a legend. That said, "FUCK da Starman! I put him in the camel clutch, break his back, make him humble."

I liked him in the Rundown. Walking Tall and (I think iirc) that Snitch flick he was in was solid. And I like his persona overall. Everything else; hard pass.
His acting would never let him get past Hulk Hogan status if Hollywood wasn't as shit as it is today. His antics behind the scenes with regards to Black Adam are laughable. Run the DCEU? Fuck outta here, jabroni.

Granted, the DCEU was a joke and became a sad state of affairs in 2022 alone, but that's another story (and their own fault).

Craven didn't have the benefit of growing up watching films and TV from what I understand. Some of his stuff is exploitation/grindhouse style, so it generally fits. Last House on the Left and The Hills Have Eyes are very good. Carpenter was not generally tackling stuff as horrific as that. In addition, much of Carpenter's work didn't exactly do great at the box office.

The only films I can truly criticize Craven with are The Hills Have Eyes 2, which is okay, but was only done for money, and his "Wes Craven Presents..." stuff, which I find to mostly be crap.

On top of that, Carpenter comes off as very, "I kind of hate my films and my fans. I hated doing horror, and did anything I could to escape it." I like/love quite a few of his films, but Carpenter doesn't come off as very genuine behind the camera or when discussing his films. He's also an outright prick in interviews and pretty curmudgeonly.

Very interesting. Do you have suggestions for the best Craven to try?

Also, Big Trouble in Little China is awesome, but I swear to God, if they do a remake, especially with "Duh-wayne!" I'm going to lose it. He cannot act (sorry, but he can't) and it will be completely terrible.
IMG_2811.gif

Rewatching People Under the Stairs RN.
For Craven, the three I've seen were A Nightmare On Elm Street, Shocker, and Scream.
What Jive said. Cursed is interesting, though it's been awhile since I've seen it, so I can't say if I'd still like it or not. Last House on the Left is a rough watch, but fits in with what was going on in the exploitation/grindhouse sphere in the 70s.

Anyways, A Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream made film companies. Dimension went from being Miramax's side venture that seemed to be for more "risky" (ie, we don't know if this shit is going to do well at the box office) films. I'm sure Disney was more than happy about that. Hellraiser III, The Crow, Halloween H20, etc. did alright for the company, but compared to Scream, they weren't shit. Yes, even The Crow. Scream cost about $9mil less, and made almost twice as much money. In addition, both good and bad, Scream set the pace for 90s and 2000s horror.

As for A Nightmare on Elm Street, New Line Cinema has since been rolled up into several mergers, so its history is lost and doesn't seem to matter much anymore. They used to call it "The House That Freddy Built."

Enough said!

Meanwhile, John Carpenter can be characterized as a bitter, overhyped director whose films tended to bomb at the box office, who may've done decent at the video stores, and gets too much credit/praise. Frankly, if Friday the 13th wouldn't have assembled the frame/chassis of what made Halloween what it is from a pacing, storytelling, and "horror trope" perspective, it would've been just another horror film. In my opinion, Tobe Hooper deserves more credit.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Carpenter's films. That said, you can sense the contempt in some of his films. Why do you think Halloween III ends the way it does? My favorites are Escape from New York/LA, The Thing, They Live, and The Fog. Big Trouble in Little China is pretty close as well. Stuff like Memoirs of an Invisible Man, Starman, and Vampires are utterly bad. I don't remember caring much for Village of the Damned (though I think I only saw it once) nor Ghosts of Escape from Mars. Oh, silly me. It's just called Ghosts of Mars, though it was supposed to be a third Escape from... film. Unfortunately, LA tanked hard and producers wanted nothing to do with a third Snake Plissken film.

Last edited:
In fairness to John, Vampire in Brooklyn was dog shit. I don't know if I've seen it, but I think I saw Dracula 2000 (and apparently there were two sequels with plans for a fourth film. Fucking WHY!?)
Vampire in Brooklyn was Wes. Never seen it for obvious reasons. Vampires with Woods and Daniel Baldwin I did like a lot. The one with Bon Jovi scares me just thinking about it :ROFLMAO:

Back