What are we watching now?

Beetlejuice (Cartoon series)
Madman (The Last Drive In)
House of 1000 Corpses
Phoenix: The Warrior (Kathleen Kinmont in a rather dull film; Hell Comes to Frog Town did it much better)
Amsterdamned (The Last Drive In)

We just finished Breaking Bad last night. Camino is next. Then Better Call Saul.

This show was like going through a Choose Your Own Adventure where every turn brings on the worst possible outcome. It was completely and totally brutal and unflinching. It was incredibly well written, directed, and acted. I'm amazed at how good it was. When it was time to sit down and watch a new episode, my wife and I would say to each other, "Are you ready to see the worst thing you've ever seen?"

I mean, it was like, if you think you know brutal, this will be worse. If you think you know evil, this will be worse. Everything was so extreme, and somehow they'd find ways to make it genuinely hilarious. I remember at one point thinking "Terminal cancer is not funny, so why the hell am I laughing my ass off?" There was enough balance from the intensity, especially with characters like Badger and Skinny Pete, to take you off guard for the next gut punch. Just perfectly done. I'm just hearing Badger go "I thought we could hang out." God, it was so funny.

I kept referring to the main character Walter White as an evil MacGyver. Bryan Cranston was truly great, but the show stealer to me by far was Aaron Paul. I don't know why, but when I look at that guy, I don't expect anything from him as an actor. But I am so dead wrong to feel that. He is like a force of nature. My wife kept telling me he goes through every emotion on the planet in that show, and she was so right. Now I just want to see everything that dude has done. He's absolutely the most surprisingly good actor I've ever come across. I saw he's in a movie called Decoding Annie Parker with one of my favorite actors, Samantha Morton, so I'm absolutely going to see that. I mean, I'll just go on a run of this dude happily.

But Dean Norris was another one who was just fantastic, and Jonathan Banks, and a truly remarkable performance by the dude with one of the coolest names I've ever heard: Giancarlo Esposito. I've seen a ton of stuff with him, and he's always been a character actor, so I was surprised and very happy to see that he is capable of so much more. He was unbelievable in this.

And this is making me reassess television in general. Maybe there's just a level of quality out there that I didn't know. I'm so damn curious to see what else could be hidden on television with quality as high as Breaking Bad, with great acting, directing, and writing. And the thing that makes the directing part of this so impressive is that this is TV, so there is this group of directors on the show, but they were all so good. The stand out to me was definitely Michelle MacLaren. But I mean, there were many times I forgot I was watching a show, because it felt like a great film. At times it was absolutely an homage to Michael Mann at his best, but in general, it was just very well done drama in every way.
My son keeps telling me we should go through BB… we watched the first three episodes. Seems good but it really didn’t hook me. I need to give it a chance.

And this is making me reassess television in general. Maybe there's just a level of quality out there that I didn't know. I'm so damn curious to see what else could be hidden on television with quality as high as Breaking Bad, with great acting, directing, and writing.
I'd say I've enjoyed television way more than most movies that have come out in years. Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are at the absolute top tier, but there's plenty of good stuff to enjoy.

In no particular order:
  • Fargo
  • Hannibal
  • Black Mirror
  • Narcos
  • Tokyo Vice
  • True Detective
  • Severance
  • Bojack Horseman
  • Mindhunter
  • Chernobyl. Mini series, very well done.
For comedy, nothing beats Arrested Development. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is by far my second favorite comedy available for streaming. Ted Lasso is also lovely.

Last edited:
We watched the original Beetlejuice last night. A few days before we went to see Beetlejuice Beetlejuice, the sequel, in theaters as a last minute date night thing to do.

Both movies are fun, but not necessarily great? Cult classic for sure. It was fun to see how well made the fx for the 1988 original are compared to the new movie's digital fx.

Last edited:
but it gets good
Surprise Bitch Smile GIF by Better Call Saul

Last edited:
My son keeps telling me we should go through BB… we watched the first three episodes. Seems good but it really didn’t hook me. I need to give it a chance.

I did this 4-5x with both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul and just couldn't get into them, then boom, once I was in, I was IN. And reading State's review I'll probably end up restarting it all tonight.

I tried it for the first time I think around a decade ago under the advice of a friend, but I didn't like it at all. For some reason Bryan Cranston seemed like a bad actor, and the whole thing seemed lowbrow and shitty to me then. This time around, my wife watched almost all of the series on her own while working, and she was so passionate about how good it is that I gave it another try. I found right away that I felt completely differently about the first episode, and that made me open to the rest of it. And I think it really is incredibly good throughout. To me the only danger is time, because the cliffhangers are so intense you never want to stop watching until you reach the end of the series.

I'd say I've enjoyed television way more than most movies that have come out in years. Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are at the absolute top tier, but there's plenty of good stuff to enjoy.

In no particular order:
  • Fargo
  • Hannibal
  • Black Mirror
  • Narcos
  • Tokyo Vice
  • True Detective
  • Severance
  • Bojack Horseman
  • Mindhunter
  • Chernobyl. Mini series, very well done.
For comedy, nothing beats Arrested Development. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is by far my second favorite comedy available for streaming.

Man, you're right about the ones of those I've seen. I think True Detective (except season 2, which I refer to as the Tax Credit season) is a fucking masterpiece. And I always forget about Narcos; that was truly incredible.

We watched the first episode of Tokyo Vice just because it's Michael Mann, but it's modern Michael Mann, which always leaves me severely wanting, which is why I'm not at all hopeful for Heat 2. I feel like in his old age Mann is too detail oriented and forgets the reason people love drama. He leaves out the heart and instead just offers vignettes of extremely competent people haha.

Thanks for all these recommendations. I'll keep these in mind for the future. I've bookmarked your post.

I did this 4-5x with both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul and just couldn't get into them, then boom, once I was in, I was IN. And reading State's review I'll probably end up restarting it all tonight.

Oh cool! Hope you enjoy it this time around haha! I'm very glad I gave Breaking Bad a second shot, and I'm curious to see how it hits you if you do try it again.

Oh cool! Hope you enjoy it this time around haha! I'm very glad I gave Breaking Bad a second shot, and I'm curious to see how it hits you if you do try it again.

I've rewatched Breaking Bad probably 3x now, really just confirms why I love it so much each time. I haven't rewatched BCS yet, which is most deserving of a rewatch because watching it as it aired was a chore. There were gaps between seasons, I believe, before covid.

I've rewatched Breaking Bad probably 3x now, really just confirms why I love it so much each time. I haven't rewatched BCS yet, which is most deserving of a rewatch because watching it as it aired was a chore. There were gaps between seasons, I believe, before covid.

Oh sorry, I realize I misread what you had written earlier. Man, I don't know how good Better Call Saul is compared to Breaking Bad, but I just can't imagine having to wait between episodes. Actually, now that I think of it, I did do that with True Detective season 4.

Oh sorry, I realize I misread what you had written earlier. Man, I don't know how good Better Call Saul is compared to Breaking Bad, but I just can't imagine having to wait between episodes. Actually, now that I think of it, I did do that with True Detective season 4.

The recaps were certainly a necessity. I can't remember when the gaps came in and how long they were, I want to say there was a good 2 years between a couple seasons around the pandemic, but it definitely made it a challenge to watch. You forget all the little details of why you love certain characters. I know at several points I felt BCS was just as good and at some points, better than BB, it's definitely a treat of a show.

Breaking Bad fans, check this out.
Takes a bit but some pretty mind-blowing stuff Gilligan hid right in front of everyone.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a lengthy backlog of TV shows piled up so we started watching True Detective: Night Country last night. It's got a similar eerie vibe and setting to Fortitude. So far pretty decent.

I've got a lengthy backlog of TV shows piled up so we started watching True Detective: Night Country last night. It's got a similar eerie vibe and setting to Fortitude. So far pretty decent.

To me True Detective: Night Country is as good as the first season. I couldn't even watch season two, but I thought season three was great. To me those three seasons are each like a fantastic movie, where every element is world class.

Back