What are we watching now?

Have you seen Nightcrawler? He's great in that. Really; anything he's in.

That is an incredible film. I'm with you 100% on that. That was one instance where I felt like the director was extremely influenced by Michael Mann. I think if you watched that right after watching Collateral you'd see striking similarities in style. But for Gyllenhaal, to me that's one of his most impressive performances. He's again unnerving in it. He's able to be so intense for so long, it's like watching a feat of strength.

I don't know, The Place Beyond the Pines, Half Nelson, Blue Valentine, Lars and the Real Girl, Drive.......

Both pretty awesome in pretty much everything they do.

We need a remake of Heat to pair them up. :LOL:

I don't know, The Place Beyond the Pines, Half Nelson, Blue Valentine, Lars and the Real Girl, Drive.......

Both pretty awesome in pretty much everything they do.

We need a remake of Heat to pair them up. :LOL:
I don't disagree. But he's went on record stating he isn't doing anything dark anymore for personal reasons and I'm thinking the days of movies with him other than the Fall Guy :facepalm and Barbie are what we're going to see. Obviously; Gyllenhaal does his hollywood schtick as well. But I feel like he still has some weird shit in him.

I think Heat is overrated and the DeNiro/Pacino exchange is about as overblown as you can get compared to the initial hype of those 2 in the same scene
:sofa :bag:whistle

I think Heat is overrated and the DeNiro/Pacino exchange is about as overblown as you can get compared to the initial hype of those 2 in the same scene
:sofa :bag:whistle

I feel like I could write a book about that film. To me it's a masterpiece. I think really the only huge negative thing is De Niro, because I think that's the beginning of him not really trying. Other than that, like I said, I'd have to write a book to praise it high enough haha. Take it with a grain of salt.

Overlong, too much time spent on boy/girl soap opera stuff, and the ending was so dumb.
It's like they took their diner scene with the hint of bonding and then skipped right to the end with the bro shit.

Never mind that little downtown shootout where they spent 10 minutes killing each other's colleagues, and trying
their damnedest to shoot each other in the head.

Cut it down to its' best 90-100 minutes and re-shoot the ending and it'd be great. There are so many amazing scenes
but the movie bogs down with too much relationship drama in between them.

Last edited:
Watching Aliens Expanded. Not bad. Just a documentary on the production of the film.

Watching Aliens Expanded. Not bad. Just a documentary on the production of the film.

I like all the Alien films. I am looking forward to Romulus :satan

Overlong, too much time spent of boy/girl soap opera stuff, and the ending was so dumb.
It's like they took their diner scene with the hint of bonding and then skipped right to the end with the bro shit.

Never mind that little downtown shootout where they spent 10 minutes killing each other's colleagues, and trying
their damnedest to shoot each other in the head.

Cut it down to its' best 90-100 minutes and re-shoot the ending and it'd be great. There are so many amazing scenes
but the movie bogs down with too much relationship drama in between them.

I think you and I agree that's it's a movie and it does exist. I'm not sure about the rest... 🙂

I like all the Alien films. I am looking forward to Romulus :satan
Alien and Aliens are easily some of my favorite films.

Alien 3 is not totally bad, it's just a victim of development hell. I'm kinda curious how it would have turned out with less studio meddling.
Alien Resurrection has its moments as well, and some really creepy creature effects. I don't hate it, but it could be better as well.
Alien vs Predator movies are straight up crap. I can't believe they thought they had something good there. All they really needed to do is follow the AvP comics for plot to have something better.
I like Prometheus but they should have let it be a new thing that stands on its own.
Alien Covenant is the worst of the bunch though. It's the kind that is insulting the viewer's intelligence even more than Prometheus' "scientists who will just go touch alien fauna" stuff. They really should not have shoehorned Alien into this movie and just gone with Prometheus 2 because Michael Fassbender does do a good job.

The Alien Isolation game is the best thing done in the franchise for years. It's genuinely terrifying to play and even storywise has all the makings of a good Alien story.

I'm really, really hoping that Alien Romulus is actually good. Everything I've seen so far points to it being possible.

Last edited:
Alien was brilliant and unique upon release and did not need a sequel let alone a franchise or – shudder – a prequel.

Aliens was an OK bug-splatter fest, but nothing much to do with the original based on HR Giger’s vision. It shines now – to me – because of all the atrocities that followed.

Blade Runner did not need a sequel, but I expect a prequel one day.

Is there really a Heat 2? Oh dear, I looked it up – it’s both a prequel and a sequel. Best part of the original was when Armenia by Einsturzende Neubauten kicked in. I figured Henry Rollins had a word.

Genre fiction – sci-fi, fantasy, spies, superheroes etc – has always had a bit of an issue with this, but it seems to be spilling over into everything.

I hear Twisters is a bit of fun, but really? A sequel to Twister?

Back