What are we watching now?

intro-1699886177.jpg

The Truth About Jim -- Wow, this is a really badly done docu-series. I'm surprised that ID Discovery put this shit out. They attempt to, for next to no reason at all, claim that a guy who is a serial rapist (who is dead and cannot comment at all) is the Hitchhiker Murderer of the 70s. Then, they try to then go, wait, he's actually the Zodiac as well.

This is not the first "my father/step-father, etc. was the Zodiac" docu-series I've seen, but it sure as hell is the worst. The leaps of logic and so forth seems to be done just to lengthen the docu-series from 2 episodes to 4. This leap of logic is all because this guy (whom according to various people interviewed was a piece of shit) stated that they hated some woman and wanted to hogtie them and throw them in a ditch, which is apparently what the hitchhiker murderer did.

I could make a better argument that the Phantom behind the Texarkana murders and the Zodiac Killer are the same person (particularly based on MO) despite the 20 or so years in between.

If Sierra Barter who made this documentary plans to do more documentaries in the future, I'd consider becoming a barista at one of the various local Starbucks, because a documentarian she is not. According to Google, she is an "amateur investigator."

Scanner’s
Shallow Grave
The Deer Hunter
The Andromeda Strain
Up In Smoke

I love Scanners so much! The guy who plays the sculptor might be the most awesome terrible actor ever. "Art...Sane..." God, that movie is truly so bad it's good. So bad it's great, really.

The Andromeda Strain is really cool. I like how methodical it is, and I love directing overall.

The Deer Hunter to me is a masterpiece. Could praise that film all day long.

One of the drawbacks of binge-watching a show multiple times is that you start to pick up on things, such as repetitive dialogue.

So I’m still in the midst of re-watching Lost and noticed that they say the word “what” a lot. Like A LOT! So as what most people would do, I did a quick search and came across this:

@DrewJD82 have you seen this? 😂

I know, right? :LOL:

HBO used to have way more sex in their shows because that caused some press about the shows, or drew viewers in. If you watch say Game of Thrones you can see how it transitions from having quite a few sex scenes to having none at all as its popularity grew.

Medieval Doggy Style For The Win! :knit :clint:rimshot

Fallout... well, I didn't play the games so don't have the fan reaction to the Lore, and being based on games I don't sweatsome of the healing etc. Fine by me, but am really liking Shogun.

I really hope they do a spinoff or expand on Shogun. It's THAT good. :chef
As much as I am loving it - I truly hope they leave it alone and do not do a spinoff or expansion. It's one story. Maybe a remake of Tai-Pan or Noble House, or make Gai-Jin (all Clavell novels).

As I recall it, the Japanese back in the day didn't like the liberties taken with history. Anything to do with Hong Kong (Tai-Pan, Noble House) may be be impossible today, however.

Some stories need to be told and left in peace. Peter Jackson should have left The Hobbit alone.

The Truth About Jim -- Wow, this is a really badly done docu-series. I'm surprised that ID Discovery put this shit out. They attempt to, for next to no reason at all, claim that a guy who is a serial rapist (who is dead and cannot comment at all) is the Hitchhiker Murderer of the 70s. Then, they try to then go, wait, he's actually the Zodiac as well.

This is not the first "my father/step-father, etc. was the Zodiac" docu-series I've seen, but it sure as hell is the worst. The leaps of logic and so forth seems to be done just to lengthen the docu-series from 2 episodes to 4. This leap of logic is all because this guy (whom according to various people interviewed was a piece of shit) stated that they hated some woman and wanted to hogtie them and throw them in a ditch, which is apparently what the hitchhiker murderer did.

I could make a better argument that the Phantom behind the Texarkana murders and the Zodiac Killer are the same person (particularly based on MO) despite the 20 or so years in between.

If Sierra Barter who made this documentary plans to do more documentaries in the future, I'd consider becoming a barista at one of the various local Starbucks, because a documentarian she is not. According to Google, she is an "amateur investigator."
To wash this trash taste out of our mouths, my girlfriend and I are watching John Wayne Gacy: Devil in Disguise on Peacock. We've seen the Conversations with a Killer: John Wayne Gacy Tapes on Netflix, which I believe was 4 episodes, so we'll see how this does with 6 episodes. So far, Netflix tends to be the high standard for serial killer true crime docuseries.

We just watched Sorcerer from 1977 by William Friedkin last night. That was a brutal experience. I mean, he's got a knack for basing scenes off extreme brutality, but here he was trying to make an entire film out of brutality. I mean, I thought Dune Part Two had exhausting sound design, but this just about killed me. I had dreams about having to repair filthy machinery. I think this film was more of an endurance test.

The acting was good, and I like the abrupt change in tone it takes especially in contrast to Bruno Cremers first scenes. I like that Friedkin was really going for something specific here. I read that it was his favorite of his own films.

I love to see films knowing a minimum about them, but that put me at a disadvantage here, because this is a remake of The Wages of Fear, the French film from 1953. Now I'll have to see that. I say it's a French film, but I see that in it they speak French, English, Italian, Spanish, German, and Russian, so there are lines for everyone haha! I guess have my next film mapped out for me, and I'm excited.

I haven't seen a ton of French films, but I've liked many of what I've seen, although my favorite so far is probably Rififi, which was by the ostracized American director Jules Dassin. Since it's filmed in France with French actors, it's still very much a French film, and way different (and better) than what Dassin did before that in the States. Even for the modern era of French films, the ones I've seen definitely have had a really high bar for great acting. I know Benoît Magimel really hit me, as well as Jean DuJardin, François Cluzet, Gilles Lellouche, and Albert Dupontel. I love Marion Cotillard as maybe the strongest of them, but she's now been in so many American films, it's hard to categorize her as specifically as a French film actor. That's a great thing.

We just watched Sorcerer from 1977 by William Friedkin last night. That was a brutal experience. I mean, he's got a knack for basing scenes off extreme brutality, but here he was trying to make an entire film out of brutality. I mean, I thought Dune Part Two had exhausting sound design, but this just about killed me. I had dreams about having to repair filthy machinery. I think this film was more of an endurance test.

The acting was good, and I like the abrupt change in tone it takes especially in contrast to Bruno Cremers first scenes. I like that Friedkin was really going for something specific here. I read that it was his favorite of his own films.

I love to see films knowing a minimum about them, but that put me at a disadvantage here, because this is a remake of The Wages of Fear, the French film from 1953. Now I'll have to see that. I say it's a French film, but I see that in it they speak French, English, Italian, Spanish, German, and Russian, so there are lines for everyone haha! I guess have my next film mapped out for me, and I'm excited.

I haven't seen a ton of French films, but I've liked many of what I've seen, although my favorite so far is probably Rififi, which was by the ostracized American director Jules Dassin. Since it's filmed in France with French actors, it's still very much a French film, and way different (and better) than what Dassin did before that in the States. Even for the modern era of French films, the ones I've seen definitely have had a really high bar for great acting. I know Benoît Magimel really hit me, as well as Jean DuJardin, François Cluzet, Gilles Lellouche, and Albert Dupontel. I love Marion Cotillard as maybe the strongest of them, but she's now been in so many American films, it's hard to categorize her as specifically as a French film actor. That's a great thing.
I have wanted to watch Sorcerer really ever since it came on my radar but it is seemingly always not available anywhere without spending enough $ where I end up thinking otherwise as far as going through with watching it.

I have wanted to watch Sorcerer really ever since it came on my radar but it is seemingly always not available anywhere without spending enough $ where I end up thinking otherwise as far as going through with watching it.

I watched on The Criterion Channel. It's my favorite streaming service by far, but you have to be into weird movies haha. A lot of what they have is on Amazon Prime and especially Max. Kanopy is great too and has generally all of the Criterion stuff; it's ad free with a library card, and they have the most insane selection of cool and weird movies.

One thing I love about the Criterion Channel is that they create collections based on cool themes, like directors. In this case, they have the William Friedkin Collection. Plus they have all these shorts that analyze film in an interesting and sometimes scholarly way.

I watched on The Criterion Channel. It's my favorite streaming service by far, but you have to be into weird movies haha. A lot of what they have is on Amazon Prime and especially Max. Kanopy is great too and has generally all of the Criterion stuff; it's ad free with a library card, and they have the most insane selection of cool and weird movies.
I have Max and Prime. I will take another look for it. The sources I have found for it have not had subs and iirc; it is sub heavy especially at the beginning. Making watching it sub-less a fairly futile experience :oops: I used to have Kanopy but I found it was this thing where I would spend all time rooting around (allegedly) elevated/high(er) brow film content and not ever just picking something to watch. It's probably a 'me' thing.

I have Max and Prime. I will take another look for it. The sources I have found for it have not had subs and iirc; it is sub heavy especially at the beginning. Making watching it sub-less a fairly futile experience :oops: I used to have Kanopy but I found it was this thing where I would spend all time rooting around (allegedly) elevated/high(er) brow film content and not ever just picking something to watch. It's probably a 'me' thing.

Oh yeah, apparently that was part of what bombed this movie haha! The subtitles are only for some of the beginning of the film. I totally understand not being into subtitles, but unfortunatley that also shuts you out of a ton of great film. I always think just growing up in a different culture makes the directors', writers', and actor's perspectives way more interesting and potentially awesome.

Back