What are we watching now?

I liked Betty Blue from the opening scene on.
1713395067317.png

Glad you dig it. I love crime flicks. Really in all sub-forms. Whether they are big dumb exploding things or small quiet dramas with a crime undercurrent. Michael Keaton has always been one of my faves so even if the movie sucked; his presence would still make it enjoyable.
Keaton has just gotten better as he's gotten older. He was great in that flick about Oxy!

You're reminding me of a pattern my wife and I have found in films: if you see tits in the first ten minutes, the film is going to suck. It's always a gimmick by a hack director to get you interested in the movie when the writing, directing, and acting have nothing else to offer. Tits later on in a film are hit or miss, but usually still a bad sign; they rarely have to do with a story, and if they do, it's often bad writing haha.

Now, I enjoy tits as much as the next guy, but in the context of movies, they're usually just a distraction.

I'd suggest that CGI is the new Tits. :rofl

Sometimes. This whole thing about pouring hundreds of millions into a film
and using all kinds of tech to do so may make it grander on a cinematic scale,
but also seems to make the fundamentals of great stroytelling/moviemaking
less effective/instrumental.

All icing... and little cake.

One of the drawbacks of binge-watching a show multiple times is that you start to pick up on things, such as repetitive dialogue.

So I’m still in the midst of re-watching Lost and noticed that they say the word “what” a lot. Like A LOT! So as what most people would do, I did a quick search and came across this:

@DrewJD82 have you seen this? 😂

You're reminding me of a pattern my wife and I have found in films: if you see tits in the first ten minutes, the film is going to suck. It's always a gimmick by a hack director to get you interested in the movie when the writing, directing, and acting have nothing else to offer. Tits later on in a film are hit or miss, but usually still a bad sign; they rarely have to do with a story, and if they do, it's often bad writing haha.

Now, I enjoy tits as much as the next guy, but in the context of movies, they're usually just a distraction.
How dare you disparage the entire Cannon Films catalog like that!

I don't necessarily agree with your assessment though. Tits early on can mean you're going to have a good time with a "so bad it's good" movie depending on when it was made. Exhibit A: Road House.

The excess nudity trick has 1000% moved over to TV series. There are certainly times where sex makes sense in a story but just shoehorning the shit in there to get eyes on your show is lazy with a capital L.

HBO used to have way more sex in their shows because that caused some press about the shows, or drew viewers in. If you watch say Game of Thrones you can see how it transitions from having quite a few sex scenes to having none at all as its popularity grew.

One of the drawbacks of binge-watching a show multiple times is that you start to pick up on things, such as repetitive dialogue.

So I’m still in the midst of re-watching Lost and noticed that they say the word “what” a lot. Like A LOT! So as what most people would do, I did a quick search and came across this:

"What?!" is what viewers of that show were saying during, and after every episode of the show.

Even the showrunners didn't seem to quite know where they wanted it to go but people tuned in because they wanted to find what the mystery was all about.

Hahahahha to be fair, they were often experiencing/saying crazy shit to each other in pretty much every episode.

I mean, "We ran into a polar bear and then a smoke monster ate Mr. Edo" :rofl

What I love about re-watching that show is catching all the stuff that would only make sense the 2nd or 3rd time around, particularly with the Man In Black/Jacob.

Hahahahha to be fair, they were often experiencing/saying crazy shit to each other in pretty much every episode.

I mean, "We ran into a polar bear and then a smoke monster ate Mr. Edo" :rofl

What I love about re-watching that show is catching all the stuff that would only make sense the 2nd or 3rd time around, particularly with the Man In Black/Jacob.
Here’s another couple of good ones:

I forgot to mention Javier Bardem was actually the best part. His acting, as always, is the very best.

Frank Herbert meant for Dune to be a messiah story, to lay the basis to talk about how messiahs are bad for your health, as he put it. They even hint in Dune Part One how the messiah story the Fremen believe is an artificial story implanted by the Bene Gesserit centuries prior, which the Bene Gesserit were then working in the shadows to make a reality to fulfill their own political and philosophical ambitions. The whole thing is Herbert's commentary on power, that religion is a tool of power wrangled by politicians for their own ends. That's my understanding, anyway. I started rereading the book recently, and I was shocked at how poorly written I thought it was. I think his ideas are very cool, and the style of throwing in ancient scripture and literary sources in his imaginery universe are awesome, and the fact that he created such a rich world, but the mechanics of his writing were kind of shocking to me. I still want to finish at least the first book again. It's been decades since I first read it. I read the whole original series in sixth grade, so it's been a while haha.
This describes so much science fiction. Amazing ideas; embarrassingly clumsy prose.

Every year has its annoyingly “fashionable” verbiage, if you’re sensitive to that sort of thing. A few years back (in the wake of Frozen, I guess), it was “Wait, what?” This year, and last, the kids seem to have decided that “let’s go!” Is the single coolest, toughest phrase a person can utter. I must hear it 100 times a day. 1000 if the TV is on.

Back