What are we watching now?

Started watching Fallout...and bingewatched several episodes!

I think they have done a good job with the aesthetic and overall vibe, it feels very much like the Fallout 3/New Vegas games. I like how they also manage to jump between action-ish and horror-ish, just like the game does, where it drops some hints that something more sinister is going on with the vaults.

Two episodes in with Fallout. It’s kind of giving me Westworld vibes.
Good first season, then rubbish? :bag

I'll give Fallout a go since it seems to avoid many of the pitfalls of Game -> TV.

Shogun is really good. Hard to see them not sticking the landing.

I've still got the last episode of Fallout to go, but I've really enjoyed it. I think it manages to jump between several storylines in a good way and all of them are interesting in their own right. Visually, they're nailing it. It's funny how they've been true to the games where just using some stimpacks can get you out of life-threatening injuries.

I thought Silo had a lot of Fallout vibes, but there's a stark difference in the pacing of the two shows. Fallout packs a lot into each episode but I don't mind because the games are quite rich in small stories in the first place.

Rewatching the Villeneuve Dune Part One, it finally hit me. For a lot of it, they're just bad actors. Just bad actors being directed by someone who should be a cinematographer. The film looks amazing and sounds even better, but I can't believe the lack of emoting. This isn't method acting, where you can see the actor has an inner life, something going on behind the eyes; this is that new thing where every dumb ass puts his down and looks up to try to look intense and intelligent, but they just look like a poser.

Huge exception: Stellan Skarsgard. He's great in it.

Oscar Isaac tries to have some feel, character, personality, but it's like he was too stiff to be able to emote enough. He was wasted by that director.

Rebecca Ferguson is normally very good, and I loved her in the fight scene when she and the son are kidnapped, but I think she was told mainly to get into as much shaking upset as possible, and I couldn't decipher anything greater than that. For every reaction, she played it like a person having a nervous breakdown, but instead of that being compelling, it was tiring immediately. It just felt like she didn't know how to approach the role, and the director sure as shit wasn't going to help her in the slightest, so she just went for full intensity, weirdly misplaced and missing the mark, the entire time.

Momoa and Brolin are the respites for those who act more realistic, but the former is at very best a charismatic sitcom actor, and the latter just played his character, who's written to be a robust warrior poet, like a marine who's never opened a book and doesn't care for music.

I know the reviews for Part Two are good across the board, so we're going to see it today. Hopefully some of what turned me off in the Part One gets better in Part Two.

:rofl Too Dumb For Dune TM

I felt this way after watching the remake, pretty sure I watched it twice and had no clue WTF was going on. I didn’t read the book or see the original, but as a stand alone movie it didn’t grab me at all.

It seems to be something I’d enjoy if I knew WTF it was about.

I felt this way after watching the remake, pretty sure I watched it twice and had no clue WTF was going on. I didn’t read the book or see the original, but as a stand alone movie it didn’t grab me at all.

Deep sci-fi is not my bag at all. Sci-fi horror? Yes please x 1000.

Arrakis = The middle east
Spice = Crude oil
Houses Harkonnen vs Atreides = Cold War in space: Soviet Union vs USA *thanks @laxu
The Fremen = Middle eastern Arabs
Giant Worms = I have no fucking clue

Last edited:
Arrakis = The middle east
Spice = Crude oil
Houses Harkonnen vs Atreides = Western political opponents
The Fremen = Middle eastern Arabs
Giant Worms = I have no fucking clue
Considering the book is from 1965, it's probably more like:

Harkonnen = Space Russia
Atreides = Space USA
Giant worms = I have no idea either!

But basically it's a story about Paul's journey to become Space Jesus.

Finished Fallout. I think it could have used a couple more episodes as I felt like it dumped a bit too much into the last episode. Looking forward to season two though!

Back