What a "surprising" development!

That was one of my big problems with it. There's an EQ over all of the amps that seems geared towards CHUNK/CHUG/THUD, which is cool for some amps/sounds, but not so cool for others. Lots of bass, lots of low-mid emphasis. Also a lot of amps have way more gain than they should, and the gain comes on really quickly in the dial. There's no gradual slope.

I had to work hard to get things like chimey/jangly edge of breakup tones.

I remember I had one preset I worked to get the kind of Vox tone* I wanted and it ended up having multiple EQ blocks and compressors. I got something I liked, but it was way more time and work to get there than I spend with other devices.

*That was an AC15. the AC30 model is pure garbage to my ears
I'm a novice and never got around to seeing how the QC fit in a mix. While the thump sounds good for high gain standalone, I wonder if it takes up the bass frequency?

Lots of bass, lots of low-mid emphasis. Also a lot of amps have way more gain than they should, and the gain comes on really quickly in the dial. There's no gradual slope.
You are the only one I have seen say this... iv`e had amps, Fractal I and II, and I have never been thinkin..there is to mutch bass, and that the gain comes on to fast..in the QC :knit
I think maybe something was wrong with your unit. But you really liked the AC30 or AC15 i remember

You are the only one I have seen say this... iv`e had amps, Fractal I and II, and I have never been thinkin..there is to mutch bass, and that the gain comes on to fast..in the QC :knit
I think maybe something was wrong with your unit. But you really liked the AC30 or AC15 i remember
I also agreed which prompted the exchange FWIW. I think it sounds great for heavy tones though!

I also agreed which prompted the exchange FWIW. I think it sounds great for heavy tones though!
I have found a new love for edge of breakup tones and amps that are on the fuzzy side, and to me this unit sounds good. I did not like my guitar in split-coil before but with my QC in sounds good with many amps. It just sounds open and present.

I have found a new love for edge of breakup tones and amps that are on the fuzzy side, and to me this unit sounds good. I did not like my guitar in split-coil before but with my QC in sounds good with many amps. It just sounds open and present.
I'm with you on this one, but like I said before: subjective. I really like the AC30s in the QC - more so than on any other platform I've tried. Then again, I can count the real AC30s I've played on no hands. :D Reading between the lines, I gather that @metropolis_4 has more experience to draw from than I do, so I respect his POV in terms of the QC having a signature (perhaps inaccurate) EQ curve. It's highly likely that this very "weakness" is part of what I dig about the QC.

(In my experience, all of the modeling/ profiling/ capturing platforms have too much gain compared with the real amps they're simulating. The worst offender yet might be ToneX. Tweed Fenders that sound like metal amps, etc. Not bad, necessarily. Just... disorienting.)

I thought the AC15 model was fantastic. AC30 wasn’t bad by any means, I used it without issue, but the AC15 I thought stood out as excellent. Which leans into my general theory that the launch models (and device itself) were done under real time constraints, and thus uneven. (Effects too)

But, their post launch modeling was ace. (When updates actually manifested) Given the ability to get it right post launch, I think their modeling has proven very strong, imo. It’s just their update pace sucks.

I thought the AC15 model was fantastic. AC30 wasn’t bad by any means, I used it without issue, but the AC15 I thought stood out as excellent. Which leans into my general theory that the launch models (and device itself) were done under real time constraints, and thus uneven. (Effects too)

But, their post launch modeling was ace. (When updates actually manifested) Given the ability to get it right post launch, I think their modeling has proven very strong, imo. It’s just their update pace sucks.
I really like the Fender DRV, that is a old one, and the 800 and the Friedman. But i agree that some amp do not sound any good, and might be a rushed thing in the start

I'm with you on this one, but like I said before: subjective. I really like the AC30s in the QC - more so than on any other platform I've tried. Then again, I can count the real AC30s I've played on no hands. :D Reading between the lines, I gather that @metropolis_4 has more experience to draw from than I do, so I respect his POV in terms of the QC having a signature (perhaps inaccurate) EQ curve. It's highly likely that this very "weakness" is part of what I dig about the QC.

(In my experience, all of the modeling/ profiling/ capturing platforms have too much gain compared with the real amps they're simulating. The worst offender yet might be ToneX. Tweed Fenders that sound like metal amps, etc. Not bad, necessarily. Just... disorienting.)
Yeah might be, but I have not heard the refrence amps they used.
But I do know that i have done some late night searching on a lot of the models (amps) and they seem to match ok with gain and EQ i think ( I don`t have the same mic and cab as the guy in the videos.

All I know is that I have never thought that... wow the gain comes on to fast...lol. Like never ( in the models ) I have some experience with 300 amps in the fractal world :LOL:

Tone is 100% subjective. That's just my opinion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personally I thought the AC30 was terrible; the AC15 was good, but it took me a lot more work to get it sounding how I like than it takes me with other devices out there. But, I think most digital Vox models sound terrible so take that FWIW. Vox amps were my main thing for years and years and none of the digital models sound quite right to me.

I thought the amp models across the board had too much gain, the distortion came on too quickly, and there was too much bass/low-mids.

Overall I thought it seemed dialed in for high gain and "modern" cleans, and it sounded killer for those sounds, but I had to work to dial all of that out for other sounds.

I think @mbenigni is right that the things about the sound that made me not like it are things that make other people love it. We all have different things we're listening for

Personally I thought the AC30 was terrible; the AC15 was good, but it took me a lot more work to get it sounding how I like than it takes me with other devices out there. But, I think most digital Vox models sound terrible so take that FWIW. Vox amps were my main thing for years and years and none of the digital models sound quite right to me.

I thought the amp models across the board had too much gain, the distortion came on too quickly, and there was too much bass/low-mids.

Overall I thought it seemed dialed in for high gain and "modern" cleans, and it sounded killer for those sounds, but I had to work to dial all of that out for other sounds.

I think @mbenigni is right that the things about the sound that made me not like it are things that make other people love it. We all have different things we're listening for
Were you using an IR from a triangle shaped 3x12 cab though? :knit

What would Buddy Holly think?

I see some folks pump up the Input gain to high on the QC, that might be the thing ??
I had it to high at some point ( was using a MIC , and forgot to turn it back down) I was like..man the fenders are off today

Yeah I get that we hear thing different, I get that. I seem to recall that you had to go on a vacation at the time you got your, So you only had yours for like a few days ?

I see some folks pump up the Input gain to high on the QC, that might be the thing ??
I had it to high at some point ( was using a MIC , and forgot to turn it back down) I was like..man the fenders are off today

Yeah I get that we hear thing different, I get that. I seem to recall that you had to go on a vacation at the time you got your, So you only had yours for like a few days ?
Have they ever talked about having an input gain block?

All I know is that I have never thought that... wow the gain comes on to fast...lol. Like never ( in the models ) I have some experience with 300 amps in the fractal world :LOL:

To be fair, I've thought this same thing about other digital modeling platforms, not just the QC.

I actually ended up setting my input gain pretty low to compensate, but the transition into the gain for each amp still felt weird to me. It was too abrupt

Besides the vacation I had a week or so with mine before I sent it back

Back