(UPDATED for new FW!) EVH amp vs Axe Fx, QC and TMP...

The thing is that I don't believe it will matter much. IC's are one thing, but that's a whole other thing than saturation, preamp and tonestack modeling.
They make a HUGE difference! It's like a secondary post-eq that affects everything. I think you're minimizing the effect of this because your Red Seven has a fixed baked-in SIC.

Also, the preamp thing you mention, saturation, tonestack etc, some of that you're hearing is likely because you're still comparing a 50W EL34 amp vs a 100W Stealth amp. The main differences are directly related to the things you're hearing. Have you ever actually played a Stealth? It has more gain and the tonestack was revoiced. It's just not fair to compare such different amps.

Another thing of note. Are you aware of the interactions between the blue/red channel gain controls? Adjust the gain knob for the other channel while playing you'll hear the off-channel has an effect on the currently selected channel. It's subtle, but we noticed it in our testing.

1708195812811.png

Aw man...are we not calling it TBP anymore?
I was just warming up to it.
Sorry! I'm sometimes a bit too much of a bellend for my own good! :rofl

I hope your product gets to where it needs to be. It aint really for me to be honest, I don't really see any USP's that would make me switch from Helix and Axe III. But good luck with it all!

I'll think about it. I don't think there's a way to do it that will please everyone. For me personally I'm content with how I did my comparison. I welcome others to do their own if they so please! It's good to have multiple perspectives! :)
Well I’d like to hear it.

I can imagine there’d be users combining TMP with real amps and load boxes, so it would be cool to hear how the cabs stack up with real amps. It’s currently the best way to compare, and maybe the only way to get an accurate response from the TMP amps.

@GuitarJon

Out of interest, does disabling the input gate change the tone with that 5150III 6L6 100-watt model on the TMP? I noticed in the lower bar it says it is set to medium.

Have you ever actually played a Stealth? It has more gain and the tonestack was revoiced. It's just not fair to compare such different amps.
Out of interest then, how come in Jon's test the EVH 5150III 6L6 on TMP, has much less gain and a lot more fuzzy palm mutes when he has the gain pot around 11 o'clock.... versus his 5150III EL34 50-watter, which also had the gain pot around 11 o'clock.

Shouldn't the Stealth be a lot gainer with the same settings??

I wouldn't expect perfect frequency response at the output. But the preamp is distorting in a very different way. The TMP sounds like a 5150III homage, rather than a true to life model.

IMHO.

Why don't modeler manufacturers just make their own professional A/B YouTube videos comparing the modeled amp and the modeler and post them officially. It would eliminate all this back and fourth with people using the wrong amps, IRs, mics, load boxes, EQ settings and all the rest.

Seems like an easy solution.

This was like 100 years ago and it's a pretty good representation:

Out of interest then, how come in Jon's test the EVH 5150III 6L6 on TMP, has much less gain and a lot more fuzzy palm mutes when he has the gain pot around 11 o'clock.... versus his 5150III EL34 50-watter, which also had the gain pot around 11 o'clock.

Shouldn't the Stealth be a lot gainer with the same settings??

I wouldn't expect perfect frequency response at the output. But the preamp is distorting in a very different way. The TMP sounds like a 5150III homage, rather than a true to life model.

IMHO.

You seem to completely understand my point

SO SOME here think fenders whole modeling process is flawed? and expect them to admit it if it is and go back to square 1?
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Maybe I’m remembering wrong, but didn’t they argue up and down that the IC wasn’t applied to the cab at first when Cliff suggested it, and now the reason your test doesn’t count is because the IC is built into the IR loader?
AFAIK they have not shared any details on that design issue, but the chart speaks for itself. It shows their ”IC” is just an EQ applied in the cab. It’s not unusual to simulate impedance with an EQ, but it’s a little surprising to see that in this price range.

Back