UPDATE: EVH comparison #3! Fender TMP update... not what I was expecting!

Fwiw, it's larger than the LB-2
Told You So Mic Drop GIF by FullMag

I'm skeptical of that claim given the size of the unit. Most of these small reactive loads don't have a proper low-frequency resonance and instead use a lower-order network that gives a bathtub shaped impedance curve.

Until someone obtains an impedance curve of the unit we can't know for sure.
Come now… YouTube has spoken so it must be true.

It's time to take it apart.
Or just measure it with REW...

This isn't the first time Cliff has publicly made claims about a competing loadbox that don't seem to be very well researched. There was a similar exchange on the FAS forum about St Rock's load. However, St Rock has the React:IR curve published on their website, and I have no reason to believe they're being dishonest about what's posted on their website vs how their product performs.

Here's what's posted on the St Rock site. It looks a lot like the measurements I took of my LB-2, with the exception of some high-end rolloff, maybe...

1717860597162.png

Or just measure it with REW...

This isn't the first time Cliff has publicly made claims about a competing loadbox that don't seem to be very well researched. There was a similar exchange on the FAS forum about St Rock's load. However, St Rock has the React:IR curve published on their website, and I have no reason to believe they're being dishonest about what's posted on their website vs how their product performs.

Here's what's posted on the St Rock site. It looks a lot like the measurements I took of my LB-2, with the exception of some high-end rolloff, maybe...

View attachment 23816
I stand corrected.

This isn't about disparaging a competing product. I am trying to explain why Mirror Profiles said he heard a difference in the palm mutes. Not everything is a conspiracy. And if you look at my post I recommended the Suhr Reactive Load as well.

The pictures of the Redseven unit look small so I'm assuming to fit a reactive load and digital hardware in it that they are using a simplified reactive load. I could be wrong. Until someone measures one we can only speculate.

Regardless, to do an accurate comparison the virtual load in the model should be the same as the load used on the real amp. Until we know the specifics of the Reseven impedance the comparison is not as accurate as it could be.

I stand corrected.

This isn't about disparaging a competing product. I am trying to explain why Mirror Profiles said he heard a difference in the palm mutes. Not everything is a conspiracy. And if you look at my post I recommended the Suhr Reactive Load as well.

The pictures of the Redseven unit look small so I'm assuming to fit a reactive load and digital hardware in it that they are using a simplified reactive load. I could be wrong. Until someone measures one we can only speculate.

Regardless, to do an accurate comparison the virtual load in the model should be the same as the load used on the real amp. Until we know the specifics of the Reseven impedance the comparison is not as accurate as it could be.
I didn’t mean to imply there was some conspiracy or ill will toward competing products. I know you’ve spoken highly of the Suhr offering and I can really, honestly appreciate when one vendor offers another kudos for a job well done.

With all due respect, I think that in these two cases, the comments were made rather hastily without due research, which is only striking and stands out to me because many of us (myself included) look to your posts for your insights because they often are based in cold, hard fact and are very valuable to the community. And I say all of this understanding that, regardless of the exact impedance curve of one box or another, there are variables at play here that can influence the results one way or another.

:beer:

Back