Two Notes OPUS!!!

No lack of definition at all for the VH tone I commented on, sounds great. :idk (clip lined up for the VH tone)

The VH tone especially sounded muddled. The pick attack on the low strings is almost completely buried. The others sounded alright, but in general, the gain tones are passable to awful, while the clean tones are passable to overly thin.

Busy day at work, can someone give me the cliff notes on why I should hate this?

Doesn't sound awesome, it's mono, no switching, there's already a ton of other things on the market that may do this better (Iridium, Boss GT-200, UAD's, etc.)

Each to their own ... we all hear things differently ..... its all good
The palm mutes sound like "blubbuhbuh bluhbuhbuh bluhbuhduhhhh." C'mon, now. Then again, Two Notes' ability to do a preamp has never been great. The Le Preamp series, the Cab M+ clean/bass, the Revolt, and the preamps on this are all very subpar. Most of the tones are undercooked and in need of additional time on the grill. Aside from that, this appears to be a Cab M+ with minor improves/changes (USB C, more room for preamps). It doesn't seem they've improved the third party capabilities at all, and it likely can still only load 32 DynIRs. Not much point of upgrading to this unless you really like the underwhelming preamps.

Pete's demo sounded awful, but whatever.
I’m pretty sure Pete phoned that one in.

IMG_2063.gif

The (widespread across various manufacturers) omission of a loop between amp and cab keeps irritating me, especially when the pedals have headphone and/or direct/line outputs.

Regarding the 10 amp slots, it would be alright if these were on-device slots only, given a desktop or cloud library could store an "endless" number of preamp models.

The (widespread across various manufacturers) omission of a loop between amp and cab keeps irritating me, especially when the pedals have headphone and/or direct/line outputs.

Regarding the 10 amp slots, it would be alright if these were on-device slots only, given a desktop or cloud library could store an "endless" number of preamp models.

I don't really see why a loop would be necessary here.
The need for loops came with high gain amps. It was impossible to put wet effects in front of a high gain preamp or after the power amp, so FX loops were kludged into amps before the power amp, where the signal was roughly line level.
With something like this box there's no good reason to put wet FX after the Opus, as it's line level.
Sure, some WDW rigs of the big players were split after the power amp with ISO line boxes and had FX Through additional power amps and speakers.
But Larry Carlton always did his wet FX with a 57 on his dry amp into a mixer into his rack into PA monitors, for example.

I don't really see why a loop would be necessary here.
The need for loops came with high gain amps. It was impossible to put wet effects in front of a high gain preamp or after the power amp, so FX loops were kludged into amps before the power amp, where the signal was roughly line level.
With something like this box there's no good reason to put wet FX after the Opus, as it's line level.
Sure, some WDW rigs of the big players were split after the power amp with ISO line boxes and had FX Through additional power amps and speakers.
But Larry Carlton always did his wet FX with a 57 on his dry amp into a mixer into his rack into PA monitors, for example.

Exactly.

Listen to some of the sounds in Pete Thorns video and tell me you'd wanna put delay, modulation, or a reverb that's not featured in the Opus in front, since you wanna use the headphones or DI out.

My criticism is not specifically aimed at Two Notes, fwiw. It seems like "everybody" is doing this. Except Mooer, for example, but their MPL (XLR, headphones, 1/4" outputs, some of which feature their own on/off toggle for the cab sim, etc) bricks too easily.

The VH tone especially sounded muddled. The pick attack on the low strings is almost completely buried. The others sounded alright, but in general, the gain tones are passable to awful, while the clean tones are passable to overly thin.

So, what's better tones for you?

Hi Amy !

=> does this unit have full Midi PC / CC etc...... implementation in it (?) so all the different parameters, amps, amp settings, cabs, cab settings etc.... can all be controlled by an external Midi Device that sends Midi PC / CC etc... (?)

=> is the Power Supply connector a Standard Connector or is it proprietary (?)

=> how big is the external P/S "brick" relative to the size of the unit (?)

Ben

Hi @BenIfin,

Apologies for the delayed response - i was just waiting for the team to confirm the dimensions of the PSU!

114x50x31mm - this doesn't include the cables

Supplied adapter:
Connector: 2.1mm x 5.5mm
Polarity: Center negative
Input Voltage: 100-240V AC , 50-60Hz
Output Voltage: 12Vdc
Max. Current: 2000 mA

We also have a list of recommended 3rd-party Pedalboard power supplies - https://support.two-notes.com/knowledgebase.php?article=455

Headphones on mono devices don’t do anything for me unless it’s like a cheap practice amp.

Nah. Maybe underproduced. I'm hearing some promise in these clips. And to be fair -- most artists presets I've tried don't work for me anyways, but they can be a good starting point as he mentioned.
There is little note separation for the low strings, especially with palm mutes.

I’ve scoured the ‘Tube and so far, I’m impressed with what I’m hearing, especially at the price point.

That said, I guess I’m just confused to why there aren’t at least two footswitches to switch between presets. Hell, even a TR/TRS jack to add a dual foot switch would have been nice.

A solution would be to use a device such as an HX Effects to take care of the switching, but with no effects loop, there wouldn’t be a way to insert effects between the amp, cab, and/or reverb block.

Another solution would be a MIDI-capable footswitch. But then you’re adding at least another $50-100 to the total cost.

Apparently a large portion of their DynIRs are 90% off. You can get the official brand collective for $251. (Celestion, Revv, Mesa, Engl, etc.)

Back