Bluguitar Amp 1 speaker out to resistor question...

I read somewhere that the Amp 1 sounds best if you include the power amp section when running 'direct' to a cab sim. I also read that Thomas said the Amp 1 could be loaded down with a simple resistor to get the level low enough for that to be safe for what ever hardware you are hosting the cab sim with.

If those two statements are accurate I am wondering if the Two Notes Opus might be able to take it.

If anyone is familiar with this practice can you tell me if I'm right in thinking the amp input of the Opus meets the required 'pad' to make it safe?
The specs for Opus show the following:

AMP / INST / LINE IN 1/4″ Jack balanced (TRS)
Input Impedance AMP 160kΩ unbalanced / 300kΩ balanced
LINE 37kΩ unbalanced / 55kΩ balanced
INST. 1MΩ unbalanced
Max Level (No Input Pad) AMP 26.1dBu
LINE 11.3dBu
INST. 2.8dBu
Max Level (With Input Pad) AMP 36.2dBu
LINE 20.8dBu
INST. 12.3dBu
Aux In Connector 1/8” (3.5mm) TRS jack
Input Impedance 29kΩ

Paging @laxu - I seem to recall that he knows something about that, or has done it; so hopefully he'll chime in.

We've got an Amp 1 here, but we've never tried loading it down from the speaker out. The line out really doesn't sound great though, so the speaker / power amp out is definitely the way to go.

schema_bloc_-_cab_m.png

Paging @laxu - I seem to recall that he knows something about that, or has done it; so hopefully he'll chime in.

We've got an Amp 1 here, but we've never tried loading it down from the speaker out. The line out really doesn't sound great though, so the speaker / power amp out is definitely the way to go.
I've used the Two Notes CaptorX on it and of course that has no problem with it. Sounds much better than using the line out. I'm hoping that -24 is enough but it is dangerous to trust my interpretation of low voltage schematics. I'm a mechanical contractor and work on big stuff so if it can't stop your heart I don't understand it

I've even run the Amp 1 straight to an audio interface! Thomas Blug recommends a -20dB pad for this but by leaving the main MV really low on the Amp 1, the -10 dB pad on my Focusrite worked alright.

It does sound better with a proper loadbox.

Last edited:
I've even run it straight to an audio interface! Thomas Blug recommends a -20dB pad for this but by leaving the main MV really low on the Amp 1, the -10 dB pad on my Focusrite worked alright.

It does sound better with a proper loadbox.
Can you tell me by the pics I posted if that -24 is dB and it is on the amp setting of the three way toggle?

Back