Two Notes OPUS!!!

(Don’t worry, the pickle question isn’t a trap)
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

With that little amount of knobs, I fail to see much ways to use this outside a desktop environment.
Set and forget is clearly the idea here. And the portability that comes with it. But I agree with you: this might be going a little too far.

Still curious, though, depending on price. I don't understand how that isn't everyone's first question LOL.

1698926588787.jpeg

Set and forget is clearly the idea here. And the portability that comes with it. But I agree with you: this might be going a little too far.

Still curious, though, depending on price. I don't understand how that isn't everyone's first question LOL.
$299 US I believe
I am guessing that the 5 preamps are likely digital recreations on the Revolt series the Peggy bass
Foundry Fender Clean
A Marshall Crunch
an SLO hi gain
I will say they have one of the best desktop apps in the business easy and intuitive

$299 US I believe
I am guessing that the 5 preamps are likely digital recreations on the Revolt series the Peggy bass
Foundry Fender Clean
A Marshall Crunch
an SLO hi gain
I will say they have one of the best desktop apps in the business easy and intuitive
$299 is a really attractive price for this. If it's as versatile as it appears to be, I can see a million applications, from practice rig, to short gigs, to simple post effects in a tube amp's FX loop... Seems like a lot more bang for the buck than e.g. HX One. (Acknowledging that with HX you're paying for the extensive library of "based on" effects.)

This is now very much on my radar. Curious whether there's sufficient I/O for 4cm applications, curious how much current it draws (I'd want to fashion some kind of battery power for untethered practice operation), and how good the spring reverb (if any) and overdrives sound. That said... $299. Wow.

EDIT: Although... I might be overestimating the number of effects on board, and the number of simultaneous effects it will run? (It's almost like I have no idea what I'm talking about LOL.)

Last edited:

Well, I see it that way: Especially due to the lack of switches (which is sort of fine once you control it via MIDI, should you want to use this thing on a live board), there's plenty of space for, say, every control to represent a typical amp tone and drive/level stack. Such as, say, on the Atomic AFB, the Boss IR-200 and such. Make them endless pots with readouts and it'd even be great. As is, using this device either ends up in a scroll/clickfest or having a computer next to it, the latter defeating quite some mobile purposes this could otherwise be great for.

I'm not saying this is a bad device, the sounds in Pete Thorn's video are nice and after all, say, an AMT Pangaea CP-100 (the small model that I own myself) is still selling for around €200 (but obviously, no sane person is buying those anymore). Yet, the market is quite saturated and I can only see this to sell in a rather small niche, simply because they're leaving out some IMO rather important things.

Well, I see it that way: Especially due to the lack of switches (which is sort of fine once you control it via MIDI, should you want to use this thing on a live board), there's plenty of space for, say, every control to represent a typical amp tone and drive/level stack. Such as, say, on the Atomic AFB, the Boss IR-200 and such. Make them endless pots with readouts and it'd even be great. As is, using this device either ends up in a scroll/clickfest or having a computer next to it, the latter defeating quite some mobile purposes this could otherwise be great for.

I'm not saying this is a bad device, the sounds in Pete Thorn's video are nice and after all, say, an AMT Pangaea CP-100 (the small model that I own myself) is still selling for around €200 (but obviously, no sane person is buying those anymore). Yet, the market is quite saturated and I can only see this to sell in a rather small niche, simply because they're leaving out some IMO rather important things.
Yeah, that's totally reasonable. Realistically, I'd probably wind up frustrated by the need to tether to a PC all the time. And for the humble applications I'd use something like this for, I might be better served with something like a Mooer P2 (with both onboard and iOS GUIs) anyway. Or my (already paid for) HX Stomp for that matter. :)

I see this more as a utility and backup type device. Tube amp breaks? Use the Opus with amp/cab sims into the PA instead of using it as a cab sim with your tube amp to run a DI to mixer.

Because of how limited the onboard UI is, I don't see this being nice to use as your main unit and if you are going to be tied to a computer, might as use one of the bigger boxes from Line6 or Fractal, or just VST plugins.

I see this more as a utility and backup type device. Tube amp breaks? Use the Opus with amp/cab sims into the PA instead of using it as a cab sim with your tube amp to run a DI to mixer.

Because of how limited the onboard UI is, I don't see this being nice to use as your main unit and if you are going to be tied to a computer, might as use one of the bigger boxes from Line6 or Fractal, or just VST plugins.
As I said before, I may have misunderstood: is this also a multi-effects unit, or is it just ("just") amp and cab sim with your bread-and-butter delay, reverb, EQ, etc. treatment?

:farley

Sure - but you'd likely want quick access to at least the tone stack to accomodate the situation.
Also, I mean, even as a backup, something like an HX Stomp (or even some other cheaper small modelers) is making just so much more sense, simply because you can use them in case your amp breaks FX devices break, your amp breaks down, your pedal board breaks down, etc. Hence, even as a swiss knife for emergency situations, this has very limited use cases.

Exactly. And that's why I don't exactly understand the intentions behind this thing. The only thing it has over the competition is DynIRs in a hardware box. So in case these are important to you and in case you want your tone to be done before it hits the computer without worrying about your CPU or latency (something I can absolutely vote for, at least regarding certain aspects), then this is great. But it'd still be a lot greater with at least some most commonly used knobs straight on the unit.
In all seriousness, if it had those, even I might consider it (I'm actually at least somewhat looking for a desktop compatible unit delivering all core amp sounds, would sometimes prefer to keep the pedalboard in the car or wherever), but without any such knobs, that's a hard pass. I just "re-learned" to enjoy hardware offering haptic feedback, in addition, I'm using my mouse and keyboard soo often that it just feels great not having to grab them just because I want to play guitar.

But hey, just another unit I don't need to lust for.

It looks like it has a mobile app, connected via bluetooth, and you use that instead of front panel controls. Not a bad idea.

Sure - but you'd likely want quick access to at least the tone stack to accomodate the situation.
Also, I mean, even as a backup, something like an HX Stomp (or even some other cheaper small modelers) is making just so much more sense, simply because you can use them in case your amp breaks FX devices break, your amp breaks down, your pedal board breaks down, etc. Hence, even as a swiss knife for emergency situations, this has very limited use cases.
The Opus can accept speaker level signal through it though, so it works as a DI box whereas HX Stomp does not.

Exactly. And that's why I don't exactly understand the intentions behind this thing. The only thing it has over the competition is DynIRs in a hardware box. So in case these are important to you and in case you want your tone to be done before it hits the computer without worrying about your CPU or latency (something I can absolutely vote for, at least regarding certain aspects), then this is great. But it'd still be a lot greater with at least some most commonly used knobs straight on the unit.
In all seriousness, if it had those, even I might consider it (I'm actually at least somewhat looking for a desktop compatible unit delivering all core amp sounds, would sometimes prefer to keep the pedalboard in the car or wherever), but without any such knobs, that's a hard pass. I just "re-learned" to enjoy hardware offering haptic feedback, in addition, I'm using my mouse and keyboard soo often that it just feels great not having to grab them just because I want to play guitar.

But hey, just another unit I don't need to lust for.
Agreed. This is very much an expanded CAB-M+. Since that had an amp sim more as an extra feature, the two knob user interface was more acceptable than here.

But hey, just another unit I don't need to lust for indeed!

Back