Touchscreens woes and HX Stomp

Had one of those conversations today! :rofl

The conversation:
Saudi Arabia Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

"Why yes, we can make it out of solid 24 karat gold!"

:pitchforks
THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!

Here's the thing; when I get irritated with a piece of gear...no matter how irrational or even wrong (if someone points out something incorrect in my assumptions), once I hate it; I hate it.

The Core has noisy loops with the weird ass "do I need a dummy plug or not for the send to use the return as an input" and the HORRIFIC IR loading capability. I could be rationalized and proven wrong for days and still not care and absolutely LOATHE said device. The Core is one of those devices. Pure piece of garbage.

I am very similar. Especially with a new to me brand or line. The Mooer GE250 I had was one of the worst modeling units I have ever owned and now I am soured by that brand forever.

The main reason why I've never owned a HX Stomp is that I don't like how it operates. And I rank the full size Helix units pretty high up as far as modeler usability goes.

Every bit the latter. The more it's dissapointing how some things are just not right with the Stomp. Seriously, the Helix Floor was a joy to operate on the unit (so much that I sometimes lifted it onto a stand), with the Stomp I try to rather not touch it.

As just one example demonstrating this (and this is one really winding me up, simply because it's hitting me sooo often), already mentioned, but still:
The lower right encoder is scrolling through block models once you turn it. Ok. So fine, so (already not too) good. One could perhaps sort of get used to just never touching it while modifying an existing patch (it's not used for anything else anyway). But here comes the culprit: The upper right encoder serves as a block selector. So you will likely use it all the time when editing a patch. And it's sitting just around 2-3 centimeters above the lower (critical) one. So once you need to edit something rather quickly (rehearsals, soundchecks, maybe even as a last resort during a gig), chances are that you accidentally grab (or even just touch) the lower encoder - to mess up your entire patch.
That is just a plain bad UI design decision - and no, it absolutely doesn't matter whether the chief of design is reading this, yet again getting angry about Mr. "contrarianism" Franck. Because, you know, the very same behaviour exists on the larger siblings of the Stomp. By default, the joystick dial function is selecting block models as well. But - *wohooo* - you can switch it off in your preferences. So, there's very little (if any) reasons, why that would not be possible within the Stomp-o-verse

There's some more quite comparable things, but that one serves as a prime example of how a tiny little additional functionality could go a looong way in terms of userfriendliness.

And fwiw, regarding all that it doesn't matter whether whatever other contenders are doing things even worse (which I am pretty well aware of - I mean, there's a Stomp on my board, no competitor's model), all that matters to me is that the thing could easily be improved quite a bit.

Just "Let's let the design team go ham on what they think will be cool."

Its success means we get to make more products with a similar lack of restraint.
So what the the cats at hx hq are passionate about... :unsure:

Aluminum guitars?
Double basses?
Pro gear and monitors?

Its success means we get to make more products with a similar lack of restraint... letting us make the kinds of products we want to make
Awwwww yeaahhhhh new Variax here we commmmee
what's that you say, everyone has ptsd cus it wasn't profitable and you won't touch it anymore? aww...

Back