Touchscreens woes and HX Stomp

Man there is a poster on TOP that would be foaming at the mouth at the chance to declare the superiority of the gt-1000core if he saw this thread. No updates required, fully featured, blah blah.

I think the comparison is stupid to start with.
Personally, if I wanted an all-in-one modeler coming in at that form factor, I'd go for the GT without any doubt, but if I wanted something to suit a lot of different situations (*check*), the Stomp is a clear winner IMO.

In general, if Modeler A has more features than Modeler B, more than likely Modeler B will have less features per screen, need less screens in total, and have less to go through, and a major by-product of all this is that with less options to scroll through, it will be easier to program right?

In general, if Modeler A has more features than Modeler B, more than likely Modeler B will have less features per screen, need less screens in total, and have less to go through, and a major by-product of all this is that with less options to scroll through, it will be easier to program right?

Well, yes and no. If all the additional features of Modeler A would be on page 2, there'd be no difference - unless you wanted to access the additional features.

How so? Never tried it, but did watch a bunch of demos, like the rest of us. It has full GT 1000 power in it. It should be able to do everything the Stomp can, and much more.

It's a very similar device on the surface, but the devil's on the details - in comparison, it's ever so limited on most areas. The GT-1000 (and Core) can do gapless, spillover patch changes, but the actual signal path is semi-fixed, with block selection being way more restrictive than the Stomp. Only three USB channels. Very rigid parameter assign (which would compete with HX's snapshots). Way fewer block types/FX/amps.

And then there's stuff like Helix's Command Center, which the Core simply cannot do at all. Or how on-device editing is pretty terrible.

I played a bit with the big GT-1000, which i understand runs the same hardware as its little brother, so this is not an indictment on how it sounds - in fact, i found it to be pretty damn good.

Last edited:
The Core is garbage. Straight up. Something that steals the size of the Stomp yet is the diametrical opposite in every other positive aspect should be taken out back and shot
dishes GIF

The Core is garbage. Straight up. Something that steals the size of the Stomp yet is the diametrical opposite in every other positive aspect should be taken out back and shot

It has 5 knobs that can be freely assigned. To global block parameters, too. That's *way* in front of anything the Stomp could ever dream of.

It has 5 knobs that can be freely assigned. To global block parameters, too. That's *way* in front of anything the Stomp could ever dream of.
Clunk beyond clunk, horrific fx loops, stupid input impedance, IR loading capabilities that kill Farley over and over with every mention. Try again.

Clunk beyond clunk, horrific fx loops, stupid input impedance, IR loading capabilities that kill Farley over and over with every mention. Try again.

What's so horrific about the FX loops? Input impedance is 1MOhm, bog standard. IR loading is pretty bad but personally, I couldn't care less.

WTF?!?
Just looked it up - GT-1000 has 1MOhm, Core 2MOhm.
What the heck are these guys on about? That's making absolutely no fuckin' sense!
:pitchforks
THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!

Here's the thing; when I get irritated with a piece of gear...no matter how irrational or even wrong (if someone points out something incorrect in my assumptions), once I hate it; I hate it.

The Core has noisy loops with the weird ass "do I need a dummy plug or not for the send to use the return as an input" and the HORRIFIC IR loading capability. I could be rationalized and proven wrong for days and still not care and absolutely LOATHE said device. The Core is one of those devices. Pure piece of garbage.

I will hold you personally accountable if you think That Thing is easier to edit than a Stomp (which I agree, has it's own drawbacks).

Given it's size, it is easier to edit, yes.
Seriously, the 3 switch/encoder functionalities are utilized incredibly well. At least individual blocks can be edited a lot more efficiently than on the Stomp.

The main reason why I've never owned a HX Stomp is that I don't like how it operates. And I rank the full size Helix units pretty high up as far as modeler usability goes.

The "scroll knob" is probably my least favorite input choice on a modeler. 3 knobs for parameter control is miserable, just lots and lots of paging.

I dream what the HX Stomp could have been if the Helix had gotten a touchscreen originally. The 3.5" touchscreen on my Luminite Graviton M1 is very usable.

The next gen Stomp equivalent, I'm looking forward to that.

Back