Touchscreens woes and HX Stomp

Lysander

Shredder
Highlighting a recent Gear Podcast episode where @2112 and Troy Nababan discuss touchscreens, and sing some hymns for Helix - the HX Stomp in particular.

Posting it here just to see you kids argue for a day or two :rofl but also because the UX on the HX Stomp cannot praised enough, IMHO. It's remarkable how usable the interface is, given its size constraints.

Last edited:
Haven’t watched yet, but…

Glasses Why Dont We Have Both GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

It's still amazing to me that the HX stomp is one of the few (only?) digital devices that continues to be a "never sell".
This might trigger eye rolls, but screw it.

HX Stomp is the only product Team Helix has released that's been 100% on our own terms. It's exactly what we wanted to make with little to no interference, including its messaging. No "hey, we really need something for a certain price point," no "hey, we need a replacement for [EOL'ed Product Z]." Just "Let's let the design team go ham on what they think will be cool."

Its success means we get to make more products with a similar lack of restraint. By "restraint," I don't mean features or cost (it grants permission to go both über complex and dead simple, both up and down-market)—I mean letting us make the kinds of products we want to make, including one y'all will see very soon... that has nothing to do with power amps.

Its success means we get to make more products with a similar lack of restraint. By "restraint," I don't mean features or cost (it grants permission to go both up and down-market)—I mean letting us make the kinds of products we want to make, including one y'all will see very soon... that has nothing to do with power amps.
The HX Stomp is just about perfect IMO. There really isn’t anything else on the market that compares with that footprint. It’s modest yet still packs a huge punch. I really hope future iterations retain that same mojo.

I thought everyone knew I once beat Jynx in a race to build a preset proving once and for all time that the Stomp UI is superior to touch screens

Yep I can build a complete preset in HX edit including 2 amps, 2 delays, phaser, chorus, reverb, split paths for PA and amp, and have it dialed in giggable shape in under 5 minutes. All stomps of course no snaps but snaps would only take me another 5 minutes or so to set them up correctly.

OTOH I can do similar on my MX5 in even less time with the touchscreen interface. I have pretty much mastered both units though. For what I need that is.

HX Stomp is the only product Team Helix has released that's been 100% on our own terms. It's exactly what we wanted to make with little to no interference, including its messaging. No "hey, we really need something for a certain price point," no "hey, we need a replacement for [EOL'ed Product Z]." Just "Let's let the design team go ham on what they think will be cool."

Its success means we get to make more products with a similar lack of restraint. By "restraint," I don't mean features or cost (it grants permission to go both über complex and dead simple, both up and down-market)—I mean letting us make the kinds of products we want to make, including one y'all will see very soon... that has nothing to do with power amps.
Never Too Late For A World ExclusiveTM

When leak?

Back