To Harley Or Not To Harley, That Is The Question?

Holy FUCK man!! I was just thinking to myself, earlier tonight, I hadn't seen you post lately, and remembered you were on a ride. A couple days in a row, iirc. I thought, man, I hope he didn't go down. Fuck me!

Glad you're ok. Or..., are you?

Thanks, Tom! :beer

Yeah, was having a blast. Rode 3 days in a row and had a great time with
friends. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Started contemplating riding to
the Mountains and doing some longer Cross-Country trips. We even
high-tailed it home before dusk because we all know the Deer are bad.
We were all hungry and didn't stop for dinner at the last establishment
before getting home, because we didn't want to risk it. 2 miles North of
that Tavern BAMMMMMMM! Happened so fast I didn't have time to react.
The impact was jarring and intense. Doc said I was concussed and I didn't
even drop the bike or go down. And the bike left skidmarks from both
tires in the road without me even hitting the brakes. Physics!!!!

20241001_172209.jpg

That force from the impact went through the front end, into my hands and wrists, and
then shoulders, neck and back. Crazy! I couldn't squeeze or hold anything the day after.
I thought my left hand especially was broken. Today is the really the first day I can even
type a lot and use my hands/fingers without much pain. So that is awesome, and an
huge relief. :beer

No idea what I am going to do about the bike and riding again. It's heart-breaking. A reminder
to me that even if you are safe and doing everything right and as aware as anyone can be out
on the road there is still an element of unpredictability. I don't like being as aware of that as
I am now. Not sure if I can ever enjoy myself riding a motorcycle on the highway in the same way
after this. Time will tell. :idk

Yup. Adjuster said that is what they use to determine value. They use "average"
retail/resale of the model in question. So if you bike is mint and has add-ons then
you get fucked. If your bike is an hot mess and beat to fuck then you make bank.

Guess which category my bike fell in. :hmm

I am not accepting their offer without some back and forth. The engine upgrades
are not included.... because they are "inside" according to the adjuster. I am like
"Well, the inside is still an essential part of the bike being totaled." :cuss
The outcome could have been much worse
Thankfully you’re here to tell us about your experience

When I hit my deer, the parts and labor estimate added up to about 95% of the 'totalled' value.

I ran into 2 problems with the estimate: This fucking douchebag of a mechanic had told the adjuster he could straighten the forks, and re-shape the fairing sub-frame. I was like, "NO FUCKING WAY DUDE! You DON'T bend metal back into shape; It fatigues the metal."

The only thing the adjuster would say was, "Well, we're going with the mechanic's recommendations, at which point he'll do the repairs, test-ride the bike, and then if he feels any of the parts aren't performing correctly, we'll then pay to have those parts replaced as well."

I wasn't having any of it, because I knew the bike would be fine at the test speeds it would see, but may not have survived what I wanted to do with the bike, which at the time was to take that bitch out and run it as fast as it would possibly go, just once, to set my own personal land speed record. (Which I did end up doing later on, at 155 mph. But that's another story.)

So we were at odds, and he offered me the full estimate of the parts, plus the shop labor at half their rate, and said I could take that money and fix it myself. So that's what I did. And I had enough money to buy new forks/triple clamps, and the sub-frame.

My understanding is, unless you have gap insurance, you're gonna be shelling out to replace your vehicle. And knowing how insurance companies operate, you may still have to shell out money.

The only time I ever scored against an insurance company was when I bought that bike. I shopped insurance before I bought it, because it was probably going to be expensive..., insuring a >100 Hp sport bike for a 24 year-old. The quote came back within my comfort zone, so I bought it. But when the bill came, it was double what they'd quoted me!!

After arguing with the insurance company, someone told me to write a letter to the Insurance Commission. I did, and they settled it in my favor.

I wasn't having any of it, because I knew the bike would be fine at the test speeds it would see, but may not have survived what I wanted to do with the bike, which at the time was to take that bitch out and run it as fast as it would possibly go, just once, to set my own personal land speed record. (Which I did end up doing later on, at 155 mph. But that's another story.)

So you cut an Deer "in half" and then went out hunting a Mastodon to do the same thing to. :whistle

:LOL:

Deer, especially when in rut, are the stupidest fucking animals! They have one thing, and only one thing on their minds, and it ain't looking both ways before crossing the road.

I've hit 4- 3 in the truck, 1 on the bike. And been in a van coming back from a group ski trip where we hit 2 at once! Well, to be fair, we hit one, and the 2nd one (probably a buck in pursuit of a doe) slammed into the side of the van. Un-freaking-real! Dented the sliding door so bad it wouldn't open completely!

When I hit my deer, the parts and labor estimate added up to about 95% of the 'totalled' value.

I ran into 2 problems with the estimate: This fucking douchebag of a mechanic had told the adjuster he could straighten the forks, and re-shape the fairing sub-frame. I was like, "NO FUCKING WAY DUDE! You DON'T bend metal back into shape; It fatigues the metal."

The only thing the adjuster would say was, "Well, we're going with the mechanic's recommendations, at which point he'll do the repairs, test-ride the bike, and then if he feels any of the parts aren't performing correctly, we'll then pay to have those parts replaced as well."

So we were at odds, and he offered me the full estimate of the parts, plus the shop labor at half their rate, and said I could take that money and fix it myself. So that's what I did. And I had enough money to buy new forks/triple clamps, and the sub-frame.

My understanding is, unless you have gap insurance, you're gonna be shelling out to replace your vehicle. And knowing how insurance companies operate, you may still have to shell out money.

The only time I ever scored against an insurance company was when I bought that bike. I shopped insurance before I bought it, because it was probably going to be expensive..., insuring a >100 Hp sport bike for a 24 year-old. The quote came back within my comfort zone, so I bought it. But when the bill came, it was double what they'd quoted me!!

After arguing with the insurance company, someone told me to write a letter to the Insurance Commission. I did, and they settled it in my favor.

My frame and forks have experienced the fuckery you mention. I would not have spotted it.
The adjuster pointed it out and I was like, "That's why sideview mirrors and handlebars are
at my knees now." :idk

I don't think I can trust a compromised frame at this point. And I probably can't insure it.
It's a shame because the bike is cherry from the tank back. Damn near want to cry when
I think about it. What a waste.

The engine mount tabs are bent, and the paint has cracked on the frame in a few places.
Being 56 and having a Son and Mom who count on me to be around I am just going to
play it all as safe as I can going forward. If this was a Mulligan and Warning Shot across the
Bow I am definitely paying attention to the message.

#Geezer :LOL:

So you cut an Deer "in half" and then went out hunting a Mastodon to do the same thing to. :whistle

:LOL:
There are certain things you just "have to do" when you're in your 20's, riding a sport bike! :rofl

I did pick a special road, straight and long, and very open on both sides so I could see any animals approaching. Hardly any traffic, and as soon as I felt the bike not accelerating any further, I shut it right down. After I took a really-fast glance at the speedo, of course! :rofl

There are certain things you just "have to do" when you're in your 20's, riding a sport bike! :rofl

I did pick a special road, straight and long, and very open on both sides so I could see any animals approaching. Hardly any traffic, and as soon as I felt the bike not accelerating any further, I shut it right down. After I took a really-fast glance at the speedo, of course! :rofl

You make it all sound so reasonable. Like anyone would do it. :LOL:

Running Late On My Way GIF by Minions

Can I ask if you miss having a motorcycle and riding now, Tom? Will you end up
doing so again someday? :idk

Me and my buddy who owned the 86 GSXR 1100 would go out to this empty church parking lot, and make it into our own road-race circuit. Fastest speed was probably 50 mph on a straight section, and pretty slow in the turns.

But that damn Ninja tracked SO good in corners, it felt like it was on rails! And I regularly dragged the footpegs in the corners.

So I'm in this one turn, I can hear the metal scraping the asphalt, but it felt so good that what did I do? I leaned it EVEN FURTHER, not understanding at the time that that meant levering the back tire up OFF the pavement!! I wiped out at about 15 mph, and broke off the end of the handlebar. But other than that, I was fine.

Pure stupidity and adrenaline.

Can I ask if you miss having a motorcycle and riding now, Tom? Will you end up
doing so again someday? :idk
If I could get my shit together, I'd go out to my shop and get my 97 Kawasaki Concours back on the road. I still have it.

I don't "miss it" per se, but if someone came by for example, and said, "Here, take my bike for the weekend," I wouldn't hesitate to ride straight to the mountains of VA.

1728152638910.png

If I could get my shit together, I'd go out to my shop and get my 97 Kawasaki Concours back on the road. I still have it.

I don't "miss it" per se, but if someone came by for example, and said, "Here, take my bike for the weekend," I wouldn't hesitate to ride straight to the mountains of VA.

View attachment 30211
Have the same exact bike in my barn.....but Hunter green.....with a stupid tank bra on it.....not my install...... could use a new fairing.... Previous owner.

Back