To Harley Or Not To Harley, That Is The Question?

la szum

Goatlord
No. I am not going to cram my balls onto a Cafe style Racer, and lay my torso on the gas tank. Not gonna happen. :cop

They say once you are past 50 getting an Harley Davidson is part and parcel of the American Male Archeytype. I
have looked over the years. Have friends who own and ride. This is the most curious and interested I have been.

Kind of shopping and seeing what is out there right now.:love

Pretty sure if I buy smart (used) I can at least recoup my money if it is not for me. Grew up riding dirt bikes and
have some skills, so not concerned about that.

Anyone else Harley curious, or Harley devoted and into riding?I feel like this is something I want to do and
experience (even if it includes taking my life into my own hands by dealing with "drivers" who often don't
grant motorcyclists equal treatment and respect on the road).

Thoughts? Experiences? Words of caution and sanity? :LOL:

Liking V-twins is akin’ to liking SG’s

(I also don’t have the HD gene)

Not my bag; but I feel the two wheel nomadic pull all the time … but dogs, family… excuses excuses lol

Season 12 Episode 6 GIF by PBS

You ever ridden on the street before, or is this 1st time? I started at 19, always Kawasakis. Bought a new 100th Anniversary Electra Glide Ultra Classic in 2002. Kept it for about 8 years.

There's a lot to riding defensively. Even if you're not at fault in a crash, doesn't really matter.

You ever ridden on the street before, or is this 1st time? I started at 19, always Kawasakis. Bought a new 100th Anniversary Electra Glide Ultra Classic in 2002. Kept it for about 8 years.

There's a lot to riding defensively. Even if you're not at fault in a crash, doesn't really matter.

Yup. I have ridden a Sportster quite a bit in my 20s and a Suzuki GS850 in my teens. I must
have put thousands of miles on my Yamaha YZs and Honda XRs when I was young. Even
did a bit of racing as a Yute.

Handling and experience feel like non-issues to me. Or I am delusional. :idk

From when I was 14 to 19 raced motocross in the CMA, (YZ, RM and KX, loved my greenie 250 bad ass bike) , loved hurricane BoB Hannah, after that never drove any motorcycles again

I cut a deer in half on a 900 Ninja. For real. Doin bout 90! Bike was 8 days old too. Summer of '88.

But yeah, if you things like riding with the front brake covered in traffic (it takes .5 seconds to move your hand from around the handgrip to grab the brake lever, and at 60mph that means you've travelled 44 feet closer towards whatever you don't want to hit), 80-90% of your braking power is in the front brake (you NEVER opt for 'laying it down'), and counter steering aren't foreign concepts to you, then I say yeah, go for it.

I met Bob Hannah and Marty Smith (factory Honda) in 1977 at an Outdoor National here in Michigan.
Both autographed posters for me that I hung on my bedroom wall. They were riding 125cc bikes at
that time.

I ended up getting to ride and race on that same track they raced on later that Summer on my YZ80. :banana

I cut a deer in half on a 900 Ninja. For real. Doin bout 90! Bike was 8 days old too. Summer of '88.

But yeah, if you things like riding with the front brake covered in traffic (it takes .5 seconds to move your hand from around the handgrip to grab the brake lever, and at 60mph that means you've travelled 44 feet closer towards whatever you don't want to hit), 80-90% of your braking power is in the front brake (you NEVER opt for 'laying it down'), and counter steering aren't foreign concepts to you, then I say yeah, go for it.

WTF?? Who has a story like that? You were a crazy summbitch, Tom! :cop

WTF?? Who has a story like that? You were a crazy summbitch, Tom! :cop
Several years after, I hire this new carpenter, and I'm asking about his work history. He tells me he had worked on the "Chef Boy R Dee" house (this humongous home in my area for the grandson of the guy who started that company), and I knew a few guys who had also worked on that project.

So I ask if he knew Eugene _____. He's like, yeah, there were a couple Gene's on that job. Was he a jokester? I was like, No. He was a pretty straight-up guy. Why?

Because he once told me this story about this carpenter-friend of his who cut a deer in half on his motorcycle. :rofl

Yep. Dat was me.

Deer are stoopid animals. I have hit a total of 4 now, the other 3 being in my truck, thank God.

WTF??! Never want to hear how unlucky you might be ever again. :LOL:

When I was in the Navy a guy almost cut a car in half. He made 3/4 of the way through. Cops
estimated 120+. His helmet got embedded in the roof, but he was nowhere to be seen. I
wish I could find the newspaper photo.

Deer are odd, and unpredictable. And they love the roadside grass for some reason. :facepalm

WTF??! Never want to hear how unlucky you might be ever again. :LOL:

When I was in the Navy a guy almost cut a car in half. He made 3/4 of the way through. Cops
estimated 120+. His helmet got embedded in the roof, but he was nowhere to be seen. I
wish I could find the newspaper photo.

Deer are odd, and unpredictable. And they love the roadside grass for some reason. :facepalm
Wow!! I did learn something about deer after hitting 2 of my 4 in almost the same exact spot: A hunter buddy told me they use pathways like we use roads. So if that path crosses a highway, well, that's where you're likely to hit 'em.

I always wondered how they could read those 'Deer Crossing' signs! :rimshot

Back