Those Seymour Duncan Powerstage amps are utter tripe

Now only if someone would apply all this knowledge to create some proper IRs...
It's already happened. "Someone" has also already provided extensive specifics about how to do just that, and at least two other people have responded by using that information to guide them in acquiring their own IRs. The fact that nobody is offering them for sale might just have something to do with the time and effort required to acquire them, the resultant lack of a profitable market, the ease of piracy, and - this is really, really important - the fact that there is no single magic bullet that will give you the "tone" you think you're looking for. Just as with a monitor, a clean IR is one element of several you've got to address in order to satisfactorily replace an amp/cab with a modeler/monitor. For most folks out there, it's probably best not to waste your time trying.

It's already happened. "Someone" has also already provided extensive specifics about how to do just that, and at least two other people have responded by using that information to guide them in acquiring their own IRs. The fact that nobody is offering them for sale might just have something to do with the time and effort required to acquire them, the resultant lack of a profitable market, the ease of piracy, and - this is really, really important - the fact that there is no single magic bullet that will give you the "tone" you think you're looking for. Just as with a monitor, a clean IR is one element of several you've got to address in order to satisfactorily replace an amp/cab with a modeler/monitor. For most folks out there, it's probably best not to waste your time trying.
I like you, Jay! I also think that you should invent some kind of matrix omni speaker system where each speaker / cluster of speakers goes through its on IR based on its direction. Maybe use electrostatic speakers/hybrid?!

I don't expect any money from your invention but you could add a little "Inspired by SKU" stamp somewhere on the device in handwritten font.

Last edited:
Create a proprietary ".polyIR" format that can only be loaded on the device itself and can only be bought from your online shop.
No more piracy, and profit!

Isn't the "problem" with Class D that manufacturers choose not to add large enough capacitors to store power for the next battery of needed power? Like for live use, the first kick drum can be awesome but the next few are garbage? I swear there were class d car stereo amps winning the SPL competitions that had massive caps built into them to keep the bass going.

I guess what I'm asking is if the commonly cited problem with Class D is actually a problem with Class D or just the implementation of them?

Isn't the "problem" with Class D that manufacturers choose not to add large enough capacitors to store power for the next battery of needed power? Like for live use, the first kick drum can be awesome but the next few are garbage? I swear there were class d car stereo amps winning the SPL competitions that had massive caps built into them to keep the bass going.

I guess what I'm asking is if the commonly cited problem with Class D is actually a problem with Class D or just the implementation of them?

You rang?

iDcEJd1.jpeg

I like you, Jay!

Oh thank fuck, somebody finally said it!

I've been wanting to say the same thing for so long, but I feared that it would sound "weird". But now there's two of us here, spreading the Jay love. ❤️

Should we create some sort of pun name for our fan gang? Y'know, like the fans of Benedict Cumberbatch are called "Cumberbitches",

Last edited:
Oh thank fuck, somebody finally said it!

I've been wanting to say the same thing for so long, but I feared that it would sound "weird". But now there's two off us here, spreading the Jay love. ❤️

Should we create some sort of pun name for our fan gang? Y'know, like the fans of Benedict Cumberbatch are called "Cumberbitches",
Jay lol'd at one of my posts the other day. Progress. :rofl

I use them routinely. Once again, your lack of awareness does not prove that something you don't know about is not existent or even widely used.

Jay, I know you've praised the old Crown poweramps, but which currently made solid state poweramps would you recommend for guitar related tones?

I am happy using a "100W" Class D poweramp from aliexpress at bedroom volumes but even at that volume it is not as dynamic as tube power, I also don't hear difference between solid state class D and AB but I didn't have a chance to really crank either.
As a test I can run them into the reactive load and hear how much juice they really have to handle the palm mutes compared to 100W tubes.

I know know those exist but I've yet to see such tools commonly used when analysing things like cabinet responses ... or rather I would like to see them used in next IR technology ... sort of three-dimensional IRs ... maybe that's what BlugGuitar is talking about with his dynamic IRs.
Edit: read about these dynamics IRs and it seems that they are indeed some sort of IR with an extra dimension but that dimension seems to be amplitude ...

Dude, do you just come on here just to argue with people? Endlessly?

My best friend is argumentative like that. No matter what you say he has a reason why it's wrong and is compelled to say something different.

It's gotten to the point where I've said to him, many times now, "I'm not going to argue with you about this, let's change the subject."

He's my dear friend who I have great affection for but his compulsion to disagree with everything you say is annoying as hell.

Personally, I come here to learn things about gear, or to share my own experiences with gear. The whole "I'm right and you're wrong" thing is a complete waste of time. Yours and everyone else's.

It's not informative, it's just a futile attempt to prove that you know more than someone else.

I have a PS700. It's pretty good for powering the FM9's signal through my cab(s) but not as good as good as the EVH 50w Stealth head. If I was in a gig situation I'd probably use the FM9 into the EVH FX loop.

At home though, the EVH powering the dry cab and the PS700 powering the stereo wet cabs is fucking glorious.

Takes up too much space though so now it's a WDW rig with three FRFRs. 🤷🏾‍♂️

How would a tube amp be "more dynamic" when the property of tubes that everyone seems to claim to want is their nonlinearity?

Last edited:
  • Mind Blown
Reactions: SKU
I've wrote about this topic here and in TOP many times.

I used a SD PS700 for a long time with the Helix and 4x12s in my hard rock band, a very loud band where the other guitarist played tube amps only.

The SD sounded pretty good with the mid end highs eq set flat and BASS set quite high. Otherwise sounded thin.
Once bass were compensated the rig blended perfectly within the band with no issues for the audience point of view, with a very good and sound. I really enjoyed it for what it was.

All that said I always preferred the response of tube power amps with my modeller.
I don't know why, my theory was that there's some interaction between the speakers and the tube power section that is missing with solid state amps.

I agree that, compared with the return of a tube amp, the PS700 lacked some punch but it's more a feeling thing than anything else.
Solid state power amps are not perfect but IMHO they do a great job

I repost it. This recording is made with two zoom field recorders (one facing the band, one facing the drums), left player (me) rig is helix+PS700+4x12, right player is using pedals and the Marshall head.

• 100%
Reactions: SKU
Back