Those Seymour Duncan Powerstage amps are utter tripe

I began my power amp journey with the PowerStage 200 and it was great for what it was. I was able to do a side by side comparison with the Pedal Baby. I much preferred the Pedal Baby for my needs.

• 100%
Reactions: SKU
Yes, now you're getting it! Quite why it is okay for you to use the word "feel" in EXACTLY THE SAME CONTEXT as everyone else has done, whilst at the same time saying all the other anti-feel stuff you've said before.... well that is anyone's guess... but hey.... you do you.
Not the same context as everyone else.
I explicitly said otherwise and conceeded this point many times.
Not talking about you.
Deaf people exist. Sorry you hate them.

:rofl
Sorry you use them as beta testers for BFD.

:rofl

soul food cooking GIF by WE tv

Once I'm done with my Japan trip next month, I might pick up a 700watter Powerstage and check it out.

Really?!? I actually get on fine with the 170 and would never consider the 700 as an option if I needed something with more oomph. The dumbest form factor ever (1.25U?!?), no independent volume knobs for the two channels. And very similar power supply to the 170/200.

Really?!? I actually get on fine with the 170 and would never consider the 700 as an option if I needed something with more oomph. The dumbest form factor ever (1.25U?!?), no independent volume knobs for the two channels. And very similar power supply to the 170/200.
The assertion here is that these class D poweramps cannot provide their rated wattage in a sustained fashion. The PS200 gives 210W at a 4ohm load. But that might just be a peak reading.

So the theory is, more wattage means more headroom, means more chance of actually sustaining 100W continuously into a 4ohm load.

DUMB AF form factor. Isn't there some 'can't run it for full wattage rating mono; or other such dumbness?

The assertion here is that these class D poweramps cannot provide their rated wattage in a sustained fashion. The PS200 gives 210W at a 4ohm load. But that might just be a peak reading.

So the theory is, more wattage means more headroom, means more chance of actually sustaining 100W continuously into a 4ohm load.
even if it does do that, why not spend less on a 2U poweramp with better features since 2U vs 1.25U with Mickey Mouse ears is still basically the same thing?

The Powerstage stuff costs a lot for what it is because made by a company that doesn’t normally make power amps and aren’t selling them on the scale that standard PA/pro-audio power amps are being sold at.

The 170 and 200 are small enough to offer ability to apply them in unique ways that, for me, justified the added cost.

The 700 is smaller…but not so much that it offers any real world benefit. It has an EQ, but front panel input Jack is dumb, and single volume knob is truly limiting (consider running into two speakers of different sensitivity…or even just wanting to tailor the tonal balance of the two different speakers. Or wanting to run wet dry and have a convenient plays to balance wet cs dry). Why would I pay more for it?

IME people who like the power stage ( any of them) are leaning heavily on the powerful eq and aren’t needing or using to compete with tubes or loud band mates . They are very user friendly and fine for home but that is it.

Tube amps have presence, resonance and some times powerful eqs (like 5 band mesa) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In the same vein as the Katana. If I wanted power amp coloration; I'd just get a regular guitar amp. That's why the Fryette stuff (despite being impossible to get most of the time) is the most appealing when you are trying to get out of the modeling's way with whatever you are using for power.
Never tried the Orange but it's class AB so it's by default better but I agree ... I have tried the Katana head this way and never got even decent results... ( must be some class D circuitry embedded in its class AB power amp :grin :grin :grin :grin )

Back