The Helix in 2023... still worth it and fw3.7

I bought a Helix Floor in 2016 after the first few updates showed me that this unit has more of a push behind it than the HD500X did. I bought a Stomp as soon as they were available. The boxes just keep getting better and better.

Although the Floor sits in a case and sees the light once every update season, I can't bring myself to move it no matter how bad I want an Axe III.

The new JCM800 has me ignoring all the other amp models, it does the classic humbucker rock, spanky single coil tones, and high gain with a boost in front. I was using three amp models to cover all of that before.

I bought a Helix Floor in 2016 after the first few updates showed me that this unit has more of a push behind it than the HD500X did. I bought a Stomp as soon as they were available. The boxes just keep getting better and better.

Although the Floor sits in a case and sees the light once every update season, I can't bring myself to move it no matter how bad I want an Axe III.

The new JCM800 has me ignoring all the other amp models, it does the classic humbucker rock, spanky single coil tones, and high gain with a boost in front. I was using three amp models to cover all of that before.

The 2203 is quite nice indeed! It does the kraaannngggggg!

Are you going to do an updated JCM shootout video now that Helix and Fractal have new models?

Not sure, I don't have a 2203, just the 20w Marshall JCM800 and a Chinese handwired 2204 clone. However, I do expect them to sound quite similar so who knows...

Been using a Helix since the end of 2016. I really dig it, but I think in some ways the DSP is showing its age - more power, better algorithms, higher dollars outta my facehole.

As we all know firmware 3.7 came out last week which has been great and I'm having fun exploring the new sounds and effects. I recently got a new Helix Floor and that made me fall in love all over again with the Helix. I've had a Helix rack for years but working with the Floor is my absolute favorite. Assigning all the switches etc is just so much fun!

All of this made me think of why I love the Helix so much and it made me want to do a sort of Helix in 2023 review. This was also a good opportunity to try the L6 Oblivion amp, the feedbacker pedal and do a comparison between the 2204 and 2203.

What do you think? Are you waiting eagerly for a new Helix or are you content with it and how it is now?

Top notch work as always.

Most definitely YES.
Helix/HX is second to none in value.
I don't care what anyone says, in my experience the amp modeling quality is right up there with Fractal and Softube.
Moreover, Snapshots, Command Center and the rest of the controller/parameter assign features are so well thought out, no other modeler compares to how easy it is to make the modeler do what you want it to do.

All things factored in, Helix is King. I am sure people can do somersaults and backflips to twist it into Fractal or some other unit but ALL things considered, there's nothing better.

Wait, what? o_O

370277841_1822478681545283_2474086391423462191_n.jpg

I've had my Floor and Native since 2019. I really like it a lot, simple to use, and good tones and FX.

Even if I purchased something from Fractal again, I'd want to keep and use the Helix Floor also.

Same here, love my Fractals but that doesn't take away from my appreciation for the Helix. It's a different "world" with a different workflow but it sounds just as good. The Helix is a bit more fun to program though. Just my opinion. I know you can do literally anything you want in the Fractal stuff in terms of routing and the switches etc.

I remember seeing that someone went in there and replaced all those animated pics with pictures of the actual gear. I think there's a downloadable file somewhere on the webz.

Yeah I am sure there's a config file of some sort maybe xml or such that can be edited.

Edit: I found the location of the icons. It's even easier than dealing with an XML or JSON file.

If you can't get a good tone out of Helix, the problem lays between the guitar and the device.

The cable?
(Edit: Oops, Gearzilla beat me to it by a mile...)

Now, if only they'd slapped better hardware around the Helix, I'd kept the Floor.
In all honesty, while I loved all the options, ease of use and what not pretty much as anyone else, I defenitely think the hardware is not doing the entire concept justice. In some cases even so much it's almost embarrassing.

Last edited:
I‘ve always felt the Helix way is the right way to do skeuomorphism. Show the pictures in the model list where they help you, not in the editor (like the TMP) where they cripple the UI.

skeuomorphism eh? :) That word is new to me haha!

Back