The Helix in 2023... still worth it and fw3.7

You might be aware, but there is a global option to change that knob (on the Floor, at least) so that turning it navigates along the path instead of having it change models. IMO it's a bit crazy this isn't the default, because joysticking around and blindly scrolling through models (and accidentally turning the knob when you didn't mean to, with no undo!) is definitely a pain point.

They need to add this option (to switch block type selection off) to the Stomp. It's driving me mad EVERY. SINGLE. DAY!

Reverbs are a very hard thing to design, it’s such a niche area to be an expert in. I also don’t really use the Helix verbs if I can help it.

Even though they’re a bit outdated now and could well be just as metallic as what we have, I would LOVE for YMG to port some classic reverbs (Rev-1, Rev-5, SPX90/990/2000 etc) with full converter and noise/artefact modelling. Those reverbs have kind of been overlooked in a lot of plugins and it would be nice to have them archived for what they are. Even if the SPX is nasty for verbs, it’s a bit of a classic sound. And symphonic would be very popular for guitar+bass

They need to add this option (to switch block type selection off) to the Stomp. It's driving me mad EVERY. SINGLE. DAY!
I can only guess they did it this way because the big main knob on Fractal devices also scrolls through models in the grid view. But, that big knob is not a joystick on Fractal, so you're less likely to accidentally turn it when you didn't mean to. It's a rare instance where the Fractal implementation is actually less of a hassle even though the Helix UI is still way better overall ;)

Reverbs are a very hard thing to design, it’s such a niche area to be an expert in. I also don’t really use the Helix verbs if I can help it.
Yeah, the reverbs were one thing I noticed right away on the FM9 as I scrolled through the factory presets. Even at very wet levels, they sound fantastic -- like something straight off of a polished studio album. I used to be strategic with the reverbs in Helix, to sculpt them around a sound without making their presence too obvious, but the Fractal verbs I can dial as much or as little as I want and it all sounds great.

Besides global blocks already mentioned by @Sascha Franck , I’d like some improvements for home practice. A shortcut for quickly setting the USB level (iphone+camera kit and Anytune — volume control on the phone does not work) and bluetooth connection to the phone for streaming backing tracks).

[Reposting from the TMP thread as I think it is relevant here]

Prompted by a discussion at TOP, specifically regarding the Helix 3.70 Feedbacker using a lot of DSP, "showing" that the platform is running out of steam, I thought I'd create a TMP preset using its feedback generator, and see what I could add to it before running out of juice, and then try to recreate a very similar preset on the Helix.

The results were startling to say the least:

Not only was I able to effectively recreate the TMP preset in the Helix, I was able to add quite a bit more before running out of DSP...

Back