The Helix in 2023... still worth it and fw3.7

GuitarJon

Roadie
As we all know firmware 3.7 came out last week which has been great and I'm having fun exploring the new sounds and effects. I recently got a new Helix Floor and that made me fall in love all over again with the Helix. I've had a Helix rack for years but working with the Floor is my absolute favorite. Assigning all the switches etc is just so much fun!

All of this made me think of why I love the Helix so much and it made me want to do a sort of Helix in 2023 review. This was also a good opportunity to try the L6 Oblivion amp, the feedbacker pedal and do a comparison between the 2204 and 2203.

What do you think? Are you waiting eagerly for a new Helix or are you content with it and how it is now?

@GuitarJon YES the Helix (and LT) are still worth it going well into 2024. I have the LT (I know, not quite the same thing) so whatever
updates the Helix gets, the LT gets the same. For me, the LT is a great value for the "price point".
I think the Helix has truly become the Flagship for Line 6. I'm content with the Helix platform....

Most definitely YES.
Helix/HX is second to none in value.
I don't care what anyone says, in my experience the amp modeling quality is right up there with Fractal and Softube.
Moreover, Snapshots, Command Center and the rest of the controller/parameter assign features are so well thought out, no other modeler compares to how easy it is to make the modeler do what you want it to do.

Most definitely YES.
I don't care what anyone says, in my experience the amp modeling quality is right up there with Fractal and Softube.
Moreover, Snapshots, Command Center and the rest of the controller/parameter assign features are so well thought out, no other modeler compares to how easy to make the modeler do what you want it to do.

I agree 100%!

+100. I've owned devices from all major brands and i have absolutely no reservations in putting Helix up there with the other big dogs.

I think all these "X is clearly better than Y" discussions are, most of the time, nothing but snobbery IMHO. If you can't get a good tone out of Helix, the problem lays between the guitar and the device.

+100. I've owned devices from all major brands and i have absolutely no reservations in putting Helix up there with the other big dogs.

Honestly, these "X is clearly better than Y" discussions are, most of the time, nothing but snobbery IMHO. If you can't get a good tone out of Helix, the problem lays between the guitar and the device.

The only argument that could be made is that some of the default settings just aren't good. However that's obviously very easily remedied by just dialing in some controls.

Most definitely YES.
Moreover, Snapshots, Command Center and the rest of the controller/parameter assign features are so well thought out, no other modeler compares to how easy it is to make the modeler do what you want it to do.
low key thread answer

The only argument that could be made is that some of the default settings just aren't good. However that's obviously very easily remedied by just dialing in some controls.

Yep. Helix still suffers from poor default presets as well - other brands do a much better job at these. You could pretty much gig a Fractal or QC without ever bothering to create a sound from scratch.

Other than that, the workflow in the HX line is second to none. I also happen to think they have the best drives and (sacrilege!) effects out of all the competitors out there.

I still struggle with that brittle sizzle. I suspect my ears will never fully align to it, no matter what I do. I still think it's a killer line up of hardware AND software delivered by a great company \m/

The cable?

I think he's talking about the NO-3.

np.jpg

Back