The Food Thread

That looks fantastic. I grew up on Shepherds pie. For some reason (never to this day figured it out) my Mom and Gramma called it Chinese Pie.
Cheater method… Ground beef w/ some kind of “gravy” incl peas carrots, celery mushrooms, covered in mashed potatoes with a little bit of cheese on the top

But as someone mentioned earlier, that’s probably more of a cottage pie… Americans… Oh well lol

Did some food prepping this afternoon and whipped up a Greek pasta salad:

IMG_1136.jpeg

Jealous. The ONLY chilis I can find around these parts are serranos. Well, those, jalapeños, banana, and the occasional poblanos.
I have this awesome Asian grocery store I go to for those birds eye ones, they have a few other variants too which I haven't explored yet.
It's nice to use a cople different chilies in a dish, makes for a more complex flavor I think. Fresh jalapeño I don't see to often here... :)

For some reason (never to this day figured it out) my Mom and Gramma called it Chinese Pie.
Could be for the same (unproven) reason for Shepherd's Pie's name in Quebec, where it's called "Pâté chinois" (Chinese Pie). :geek:

"This hypothesis suggests that pâté chinois came into existence at the end of the 19th century during the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway. At the time, railway workers, mostly of Asian origin, were said to be fed on the job with only ground beef, potatoes and corn as these ingredients were readily available and inexpensive at the time. While working on the railway, these workers created, by force of circumstance, a unique blend, named pâté chinois in their honour. French Canadian railway workers would have adopted this new dish shortly thereafter."

Could be for the same (unproven) reason for Shepherd's Pie's name in Quebec, where it's called "Pâté chinois" (Chinese Pie). :geek:

"This hypothesis suggests that pâté chinois came into existence at the end of the 19th century during the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway. At the time, railway workers, mostly of Asian origin, were said to be fed on the job with only ground beef, potatoes and corn as these ingredients were readily available and inexpensive at the time. While working on the railway, these workers created, by force of circumstance, a unique blend, named pâté chinois in their honour. French Canadian railway workers would have adopted this new dish shortly thereafter."

Wow I did not know that. Thats pretty interesting. The town I grew up in was loaded with French Canadian people. I am married to a French Canadian/Mic Mac woman.

Wow I did not know that. Thats pretty interesting. The town I grew up in was loaded with French Canadian people. I am married to a French Canadian/Mic Mac woman.

I had some of that once … the French Canadian wife … extended family too 😬

I figured it was a regional thing, the Chinese/Shepherd’s Pie thing. I think at one point I was told it was because of the difference between lamb and beef, but the railroad story is likely. That’s actually something I really love about New England; you can find some area in any given town that has some really odd name to it, like a creek, a street, a roundabout, etc and find out it came from the origins of early American life.

In Iron and Copper Mining towns in Upper Michigan that Shepherd's/Cottage Pie was turned into
something called a Pasty. Which is really just a northern lattitudes version of an Empanada. :LOL:

You could stick it in your pocket and go work deep in the mines and then eat a couple. It's just
a folded pie/pastry style dough with some kind of meat and potatoes in it, and often carrots
and onions.

Cornish-Pasty-5-square-edit-2-scaled.jpg

Back