The Food Thread

Naw - just ground beef (although it’s got a lot of brisket blended into it 😉)

Just onions celery carrots garlic peas in a “gravy” from stock; mashed on top, cheese, bake

Pomerol was a little young 🍷

Confused immigrant here. I'm constantly puzzled by this: Why does Shepherd's Pie contain beef in the US and Canada?

I mean I like it that way - don't get me wrong (that pie looks gorgeous), but if it's not lamb in there, then beef makes it a Cottage Pie... well it would in the UK anyway.

I need this explaining so I can put my thoughts on this to bed, because every time I'm in a Canadian supermarket and see a Shepherd's Pie I'm shouting Nooooooo!

(I need to shout less in supermarkets)

Cultural and historical differences is all it is, I suppose 🤔

Last edited:
Confused immigrant here. I'm constantly puzzled by this: Why does Shepherd's Pie contain beef in the US and Canada?

I mean I like it that way - don't get me wrong (that pie looks gorgeous), but if it's not lamb in there, then beef makes it a Cottage Pie... well it would in the UK anyway.

I need this explaining so I can put my thoughts on this to bed, because every time I'm in a Canadian supermarket and see a Shepherd's Pie I'm shouting Nooooooo!

Lamb is not that popular in America. It’s widely available but most people eat chicken, beef and pork.

I enjoy lamb around the holidays… I’ll do chops

We buy a lot of brisket blended ground beef and keep it in a deep freeze. It’s the easiest thing for me to reach for in a hurry.

i like ceviche a lot. got turned on to it when i was down in costa rica and have always been chasing those flavors. something about the lime and cilantro after a day of being in the salty ocean is just so good. i make it with shrimp or ahi tuna or scallops. most times ill make it sun night for lunch on monday.

I’m guessing wildly here… A little Google might help… But I don’t wanna bother with the Alphabet…

It may be that lamb/mutton was considered poor folk food here in America and people always wanted to “eat better”… Migrating to beef?

Also, there were huge land/territory wars over cattle versus sheep in America. Sheep destroy the grazing grounds for the cattle ranchers (they ate the whole grass plant) so they were at odds with each other forever.

Perhaps the beef ranchers won out; seems so.

What about cats in a pie?

80's sandwich GIF by absurdnoise

i like ceviche a lot. got turned on to it when i was down in costa rica and have always been chasing those flavors. something about the lime and cilantro after a day of being in the salty ocean is just so good. i make it with shrimp or ahi tuna or scallops. most times ill make it sun night for lunch on monday.
Ooo, I love Ceviche! I'm not a fish person really, but that hits the spot.

Ok. When, and if, I make it I promise to use some Lamb. I swear on my Wool socks. :beer

@norminal About 6 years ago, I bought a Zojirushi rice cooker and I felt guilty and conflicted at the time because it's damn expensive for a rice cooker.

Years later, I can hands down say that it's the best and most indispensible kitchen tool / gadget / appliance I've ever bought and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
We bought one maybe about as many years ago and it's been one of the best things we've ever added to our kitchen. Getting spare parts has been a bit expensive though as the pan has worn a bit so I felt that having spares would be a good idea. Had to order new ones from abroad and it took forever for the shop to get them.

We bought one maybe about as many years ago and it's been one of the best things we've ever added to our kitchen. Getting spare parts has been a bit expensive though as the pan has worn a bit so I felt that having spares would be a good idea. Had to order new ones from abroad and it took forever for the shop to get them.
That’s exactly why I went back to the pot on the stove top

A $400 rice cooker in the early 2000s and it wouldn’t keep working

When my parents uninvited me from their house, I left with a mostly full 100 pound bag of rice and a $35, 20 yr old Sanyo rice cooker … out the door.

We bought one maybe about as many years ago and it's been one of the best things we've ever added to our kitchen.

Laxu! - we do seem to live parallel lives here. We both have a BluGuitar Amp1, Fractal device & Zojirushi in the house; and we spend our days doing software development when not hanging out on gear forums. :D

Unlike you, I'm too tired from my own UI criticisms to bother with other people's though.

Laxu! - we do seem to live parallel lives here. We both own a BluGuitar Amp1, Fractal device, Zojirushi; and spend our days doing software development when not hanging out on gear forums. :D
Well, a friend of mine was on vacation in Portugal and spotted someone who looked exactly like me there so I would not be surprised if there's a clone of me running around wherever you are. But which one is the real Slim Shady?

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

Back