The Food Thread

Caesar Salad is the bomb.

200.gif

I have a pretty funny Caesar salad story…

When my boys were young, like 5 and 7, we took them to an Italian restaurant chain… Had never been before… Buca di Beppo.

I didn’t realize that each dishes ginormous.

We adapted to menu and ordered up some Caesar salad. It arrived with monstrous strips on top of the salad, which my children immediately asked to eat because it was bacon!

All the tables around us turn to watch as the kids each took a slice of bacon off the salad and popped into their mouth.

Peoples jaws were open with wonderment as my children’s faces proceeded to change from joy to disgust, realizing that those bacon strips were actually monster fillets of anchovies

😂

They both stop chewing, and look to us to get permission to spit the food out into their napkins, which was probably granted.

Speaking of salsa, here’s my current go-to recipe. This recipe yields around six cups and is always present in my refrigerator:

E1BCE585-7855-4C39-9322-1062B68AD53D.jpeg

6-8 Roma Tomatoes
2-3 Jalapeño Peppers
1 White Onion
1 7oz Can Chipotle Peppers
1 15oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
1 Tsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Cilantro
2 Limes Juiced

Purée chipotle peppers, seasonings, half of tomatoes and half of peppers.
Dice and rough chop onion and remaining tomatoes and peppers
Add can of crushed tomatoes.
Add juice and cilantro.
Mix thoroughly and refrigerate.

Last edited:
Speaking of salsa, here’s my current go-to recipe. This recipe yields around six cups and is always present in my refrigerator:

View attachment 8643

6-8 Roma Tomatoes
2-3 Jalapeño Peppers
1 White Onion
1 7oz Can Chipotle Peppers
1 15oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
1 Tsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Cilantro
2 Limes Juiced

Purée chipotle peppers, seasonings, half of tomatoes and half of peppers.
Dice and rough chop onion and remaining tomatoes and peppers
Add can of crushed tomatoes.
Add juice and cilantro.
Mix thoroughly and refrigerate.

:chef as is, but add a little bit of Carolina Reaper powder and even more :chef

IMG_2120.jpeg

Marinaded flank … future tacos al carbon

Edit to add ingredients… Kansas City black angus prime flank steak, in a marinade of crushed pineapples (specific enzymes in there breakdown the meat), whizzed up chilies 🌶️ (jalapeños, Serranos, Anaheim’s, habaneros), Spanish onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, salt, pepper, Mexican, oregano, fish sauce, soy sauce, etc. 2 day soak, burn on wicked hot grill

Last edited:
I do not have a picture but tried this last night and it was pretty damn awesome.

2 Tbsp each of olive oil, lime juice, and brown sugar
1 Tbsp ginger powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp each of salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika

Mixed it all to make a thick paste and then coated some bone in, skin on chicken and then grilled on high. It tasted like a fusion between Indian, Asian, and regular BBQ sauce. Unique but really good. Everyone agreed.

Yum! :chef

I need to try making some of them there Frijoles. Want to get into making Tortillas from scratch, too.

Yum! :chef

I need to try making some of them there Frijoles. Want to get into making Tortillas from scratch, too.

We’re making bean & cheese tostadas… Deep frying, store-bought corn tortillas… But the refried‘s are easy… Technique does kind of matter, but I’m talking about nuances here.

Back