The Food Thread

I’m pretty sure capsaicin is not an antiseptic/bactericide.

Well...

and a little more populistic:

I’m guessing wildly here… A little Google might help… But I don’t wanna bother with the Alphabet…

It may be that lamb/mutton was considered poor folk food here in America and people always wanted to “eat better”… Migrating to beef?

Also, there were huge land/territory wars over cattle versus sheep in America. Sheep destroy the grazing grounds for the cattle ranchers (they ate the whole grass plant) so they were at odds with each other forever.

Perhaps the beef ranchers won out; seems so.

Hahahaha I dunno about America wanting to “eat better”…..we’re not exactly leading the charge on obesity reduction. That said, we did eliminate a few staples of the English/European dishes that I’m not too upset about. :rofl

It was a staple when I grew up and when I’d tell my friends at school we had it the night before I’d often get my balls busted for being poor as it‘s always been known as a ‘poor person food’, even the beef version. Early America was quite poor and I wouldn’t be surprised if the ‘more bang for your buck’ aspect of a large cow vs a smaller lamb played a role in that, as well as the land grazing aspects you mentioned.

What’s funny is that you go to a nice restaurant down here and they’ll have it on the menu for like $30 like it’s some kind of special item deserving of that price when a cook just mashed some potatoes, threw some corn and parsley over some beef and called it a day. :rofl

Well...

and a little more populistic:
I read everything you posted and still maintain my position

IMG_0966.jpeg

Monster Kansas City short ribs being braised for 3 1/2 hours today

I love the taste of Beef Rib and Short Ribs.... but man by the time they are cooked, tender
enough to eat, and that fat has been rendered there is not a lot of actual meat left. :idk

Tacos sound .... :chef

It's not gear but totally necessary for the collective well being of this forum, plus, you might get some inspiration.

I like a good omelette and sushi.

Omelette-blog-3.jpg

Take-away-sushi-rolls_3781NM.jpg

We also have a few Pizza threads.

Staples for me now are Green Chili Stew and Huevos Rancheros

1682371532471.png

1682371572756.png

Had one of my favorite dishes for lunch today: Wurstebrei („sausage mush“)
It‘s a traditional German/Westphalian dish that basically consists of minced slaughterhouse leftovers and pearl barley. It looks like grey vomit and is usually served with potatoes, beet and - yes - pickles. Love it, but probably wouldn‘t touch it if I wouldn‘t have grown up with it.

View attachment 5562

I am sure I'd love it. It looks delicious to me.

Back