The Food Thread

Fwiw, cooked rice stored in the fridge (no problem for 4-6 days) can be warmed up excellently in a microwave. IMHO it's sometimes better than fresh (depending on the texture you're after).

Fwiw, cooked rice stored in the fridge (no problem for 4-6 days) can be warmed up excellently in a microwave. IMHO it's sometimes better than fresh (depending on the texture you're after).

The low humidity of the refrigerator dries the rice out.

This step is critical if you’re ever going to make fried rice.

You can’t make (good) fried rice the same day generally.

Ya know what’s funny? At several restaurants I cooked at, making rice was a daily thing, in huge batches. The Brazilians who taught me to really hustle in the kitchen would bust my balls so hard if that rice wasn’t perfect and I’d get cancelled if I repeated the words they called me. :rofl And this last year when I finally stopped putting Uber Eats kids through college and cooking at home, it took me like 3 f*cking months to cook rice properly again.

And a little story about the sh*t we used to pull on the line-

Those guys were brutal but they turned me into a legit cook after a few months. It’s customary to say “Behind!” nonstop in the restaurants biz because you’re always behind someone carrying something you can’t drop, these guys would just burn the back of your arm with a sauté pan and laugh, just a little 1/4” burn that went away after a couple hours. On a friday night during a rush they both did it to me at the same time, each arm, as I’m working the grill. The Chef that night, standing at the window expo’ing the food out goes, “You gonna take that, Andrew?” with a sh*t eating grin.

Mind you, this is an open kitchen where all the guests can see you, especially the ones waiting to be sat.

I put on some gloves and grabbed a raw chicken breast, go up to the first guy, pull the back of his chef’s pants open and began ramming the chicken breast right up his ass. He went to yell and the Chef in the window just said “Shhhhhut up!”, the more the dude fought against it, the more the chicken breast was just disintegrating. I walk over to the other guy, who was slightly out of sight of the guests, so I burned the back of his arm with a sauté pan until he was fully in front of the guests and repeated the chicken breast assault on him. There were bits and pieces of raw chicken falling out of their pants for the next 5 hours and man, that must have felt f*cking terrible.

And that was the first night they invited me out to have a beer with them after work which became our nightly ritual. One of them finally said “You know Gringo, you come here to work and Julio and I both think “F*ck this guy, he work Chili’s, he know sh*t and then you come in, you smell like you drink all night and you have hangover every day, we all laugh at you cuz you just dumb kid. I tell Chef to fire you, Julio tell Chef to fire you, you f*ck everything up, you make sh*t rice, you don’t know sh*t. But you keep coming back every day. Julie and I say things to you when you busy to piss you off, you keep working and you SUCK for long time Andrew, you really suck, but you know, you good cook now. I tell Chef not to fire you, you do good job sometimes and now you do good job all the time. You’re ok, Gringo” :rofl

Both those dudes were working 80 hours a week when I got there as there was some assimilation deal going on with the State Of Massachusetts, the state would pay their overtime. Sucked for me because I could NEVER get OT, but both those dudes worked for 10 years straight, doing 80 hours a week and bought giant f*cking ranches in Brazil where they retired around the age of 45.

Had one of my favorite dishes for lunch today: Wurstebrei („sausage mush“)
It‘s a traditional German/Westphalian dish that basically consists of minced slaughterhouse leftovers and pearl barley. It looks like grey vomit and is usually served with potatoes, beet and - yes - pickles. Love it, but probably wouldn‘t touch it if I wouldn‘t have grown up with it.

1679423849740.jpeg

Last edited:
@norminal About 6 years ago, I bought a Zojirushi rice cooker and I felt guilty and conflicted at the time because it's damn expensive for a rice cooker.

Years later, I can hands down say that it's the best and most indispensible kitchen tool / gadget / appliance I've ever bought and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Because a pot with a lid is too complicated?? :idk

I kid! :hugitout

I have trouble with anything Rice related eating out, because the
motherfuckers still have not figured out that you need to rinse that
shit repeatedly before cooking, or else it sticks together tighter than
Mormons in the Great Salt Lake Basin.

Unless one is making Sushi Rice, rinse and repeat with that Rice like
you haven't shampooed your hair in weeks. :LOL:

Had one of my favorite dishes for lunch today: Wurstebrei („sausage mush“)
It‘s a traditional German/Westphalian dish that basically consists of minced slaughterhouse leftovers and pearl barley. It looks like grey vomit and is usually served with potatoes, beet and - yes - pickles. Love it, but probably wouldn‘t touch it if I wouldn‘t have grown up with it.

View attachment 5562

Two pickled items on the Plate. Nice! :beer

The low humidity of the refrigerator dries the rice out.

This step is critical if you’re ever going to make fried rice.

You can’t make (good) fried rice the same day generally.

I have done the sheet tray/cookie sheet method, too. Just spread it out and let it sit
so that evaporation does its thing.

That said, almost all of my take home rice sucks ass. Might as well throw it out, because
it is just too gummy and all glued together that you can't do anything with it.

Because a pot with a lid is too complicated?? :idk

I kid! :hugitout

I have trouble with anything Rice related eating out, because the
motherf***rs still have not figured out that you need to rinse that
s**t repeatedly before cooking, or else it sticks together tighter than
Mormons in the Great Salt Lake Basin.

Unless one is making Sushi Rice, rinse and repeat with that Rice like
you haven't shampooed your hair in weeks. :LOL:

Yes, it's sushi rice that we mostly make, followed by basmati and jasmine. Perfect every time.

There's more to the Zojirushi than just heating the rice in water with the lid on. It's got the "fuzzy logic" thing going on so it adapts to the rice cooking conditions as it goes. Still, it's a lot of money for that circuit.

Can you toast spices and rice in a Rice Cooker prior to adding water?

At home that has become my preferred way of cooking rice. Toasting
some spices in a bit of Oil or Lard, and then adding the rice and toasting
it with the spices prior to the addition of water really makes next level
rice. For me. :idk

I kind of don't do the add rice to boiling water thing anymore. Just too bland.

Also, cooking rice in some kind of broth. Next level! :banana

That's my food flex for the day. :LOL:

I’ve had the Uber expensive Zojirushi steam w/ the fancy charcoal carbon liner …

Now using 4q allclad pot w a lid 😉

Damn. I have to make that, fret. :love

I'd expect the Mashed Potatoes to induce in me a nice nap afterwards! :LOL:

Did you use Lamb? Guiness??

Recipe? :beer

Naw - just ground beef (although it’s got a lot of brisket blended into it 😉)

Just onions celery carrots garlic peas in a “gravy” from stock; mashed on top, cheese, bake

Pomerol was a little young 🍷

I held back on Indian food until my mid-20’s and quickly regretted the years of not having those amazing flavors in my life.

The first time I got a really spicy vindaloo I was in heaven. I LOVE spicy foods but the flavor has to be there, heat for the sake of heat is pointless and often tastes like garbage. I don’t think I’ve ever intentionally caused myself discomfort as much as I did that day, didn’t care how bad my mouth was burning, it was just so damn good.

I got one a couple weeks ago and could barely eat it, they went a little too hard on the spices. My sinuses were cleared before it even hit my mouth.

During the plant-based years I got it all the time because it was one of the few things I could order without modifying. I have very few regrets about leaving everything to my ex-wife in the divorce, but my spice collection is a serious regret. Especially since she can’t cook.

Back