The Food Thread

Put the Pork Butt in the smoker at Midnight last night. Tended it until about 3AM and then
dozed off until about 8AM. Got up and checked the temp. Same around 10AM and then
again at Noon. It's at 175F now and will need another couple of hours. Low and slow this
time will end up = about 16 hours. Once I pull it I'll wrap it and let it rest for another
3 to 4 hours. :banana

It's an act of sheer will, discipline, and determination. :LOL:
I cooked a pork shoulder picnic yesterday. Eight hours in the oven at 275 degrees. Internal temperature was 188 when I pulled it from the oven.

Very tasty with crisp cracklins on top.

54003364064_0786709b87_c.jpg

My favorite air fryer items so far are bacon and baked potatoes. The air fryer does better on both of them than any other method I have ever used!

We actually cooked bacon in it for the first time last night. It was perfectly cooked, I was really happy with it.

I bought the air fryer about five weeks ago but we had my wife's parents visiting for three weeks and her mom was cooking Mexican food the whole time. I've really only been messing with it for about a week now.

I'll have to give baked potatoes a go, I love a good baked potatoe.

What are y’all’s air fryer bacon procedures? Haven’t tried that
For me and my machine (band name Gourmia, not sure of model name, bought at Costco) I put the bacon on the tray so that fat can drip away (sacrilege for some) and cook it about12 minutes at 375F on the bake setting. The bacon comes out so crispy and near zero grease (which is in the bottom of the air fryer bin.

For baked potatoes, I pierce them with a fork (probaby 10-15 pokes per potato), smear some butter on the outside, salt/garlic salt them and then cook at 400 bake setting for about 45 minutes (no tinfoil). I do turn them at halfway point. Crispy outer skin, moist flaky centers, mmmmmmm. Some people will put some water in the bottom of the air fryer bin to keep the moisture level up but I have not needed to do this.

I am going to try that chicken one mentioned by @Achilles a couple pages back! Would love to hear others Air Fryer favs, I would like to use mine more but I am too lazy to go looking for recipes and ideas! So if they pop up here, I can just adopt them with very little effort ;~))

View attachment 28692

13lbs of Pure Bliss. :chef

I used Hickory with this one, and not sure it is a strong enough
wood. Probably mix in some Mesquite next time, too. Wood matters.

Self-induced Meat Coma last night for sure. :LOL:
I got a pile of cherry at the house ... should send you with some one day......been dried for about 3 years now....good to go!!!!!😝

That's one nice looking butt :chef

I cooked a pork shoulder picnic yesterday. Eight hours in the oven at 275 degrees. Internal temperature was 188 when I pulled it from the oven.

Very tasty with crisp cracklins on top.

54003364064_0786709b87_c.jpg
Deboned then packaged into eight freezer portions wrapped in Saran Wrap, then aluminum foil, and vacuum sealed in Ziploc freezer bags.. Bone used to make stock for Portuguese Kale Soup with Sausage.

54005391159_ee78f896e4_b.jpg

Sweet! Local sourced Apple or Cherry would be amazing!
Will have Apple, next year, after I top this old girl out front.

Took 2 cherry trees down awhile back.....and they sprouted from the root ball.....gonna be a second harvest in about 20 years.

Have an ash I cut down, due to the bug, and it sprouted up 100 clones.... so that will be nice in a generation.

Anyway, I got you.

Back