TGF Do Something Weekly Challenge Week 3

Great job! I’m working w/ brand new to me - Logic as well.

How did you get my photo bro?

I actually did that with a pair of tweezers at age 4. Left a big black mark on the wall!
Ha! I did it with my mom's keys when I was 2 or 3. Knocked me right off my high chair, and my mom had to paint the wall afterwards. :rofl

It appears many of us are cut from the same mold 😂
1675028289072.gif

I took an AC power cable from a stereo, cut the end off that plugs into the stereo and stripped the wires back, I had some throwing knives that had a hole in the bottom on the handles, I wrapped the bare wire around them then plugged it in, when I scraped the knives against each other they’d shoot sparks out and it looked awesome! I did a bunch of times without an issue until one day I tripped the breaker and killed the power to the house. When I heard my stepdad cursing up a storm I quickly took them all apart and played dumb, but he knew it was me doing something stupid, he just couldn’t prove it. :rofl

I’m actually going to have vocals on my submission this week. Kinda funny I can do all the screaming sh*t in my apartment with no problem but for actual singing with a clean voice, nope. Checked the mix on the way into work this morning and it fired me right up! It’s nice to know the last 10 months of playing mostly Strats with edge of breakup tones didn’t negatively effect my metal output.

I have a riff! And another one!

Now I just need to get a few more ideas and assemble into something.

Hahahah I was PRAYING the two riffs I had would be enough to get a song going, thankfully they did.

Usually if I can get one riff AND the drum section for that part figured out, I can get the rest of the song pretty quick. Drums are the catalyst for me 9x out of 10.

Hahahah I was PRAYING the two riffs I had would be enough to get a song going, thankfully they did.

Usually if I can get one riff AND the drum section for that part figured out, I can get the rest of the song pretty quick. Drums are the catalyst for me 9x out of 10.

I actually unpacked my drum hardware bag, which is huge. I'm going to try and set up my e drums tonight or tomorrow. That's going to be so fun, not only to be able to play and record drums easily but to get my kids into it.

:bag

I’m still doing the deep dive on the tools, but I’m ready to go I suppose for the next one.

I’m sort of buried in analysis paralysis atm.

That's so easy to do----especially when you don't know what the options actually do. Hours spent staring
blankly at a screen. :LOL:

I am setting a bar/challenge within the challenge to learn/do one new thing each week and not 10 things.
Baby steps. I want to run but it is just going to be me falling on my face. Again. :rofl

Yup. If the drums ain't right, nothing's right. I am still mining the drum files you put up, but need to do
something else going forward. Have an E-kit but hate the way the Hi Hat triggers so sporadically. When
I am playing at home here I actually use an hybrid setup with acoustic cymbals. Real cymbals sound/feel
so much better, but they don't trigger a damn thing in a DAW! Have even thought of micing cymbals with
a couple of overheards and using the E-kit to trigger everything else via MIDI. Something I need to sort
out in the next couple of weeks. :idk

Last edited:
That's so easy to do----especially when you don't know what the options actually do. Hours spent staring
blankly at a screen. :LOL:

I am setting a bar/challenge within the challenge to learn/do one new thing each week and not 10 things.
Baby steps. I want to run but it is just going to be me falling on my face. Again. :rofl
I hear this 👍
It’s easy to get overwhelmed with all the tinkering available for me in Logic Pro.
For instance I removed a few drum hits and added some cool Cowbell on my most recent attempt.
I thought it sounded good .
I converted the drummer in my Daw to a MIDI track .
After that was saved for some reason I went back and changed it back from a MIDI file to the original.
Why ?
I don’t remember lol .
After I posted my challenge submission I was listening to it and noticed it was gone 🤷🏻
Baby steps indeed .

Of course I get called back into work tonight....
angry the lord of the rings GIF

The vocals aren't finished; I started lyrics before I got called in and by the time I got back my head wasn't in it and I can definitely hear it on here. I just copy/pasted sections of vocals because I was only going to devolve from "f*ck your peace of mind" :rofl
There's also some weird phasey sh*t happening at the end....it's not supposed to do that.

This was all the Edwards w/EMG's, IIC++ on the left, OG 5150 on the right (AxeFX), just double tracked these as I'm not a fan of quad tracking for higher tempo songs. I started this Saturday with only the first two riffs in the song and that first riff I initially intended on being a bit more death metal sounding, but I stuck the jazzy drums in there and it sounds like f*ckin' Gojira. :ROFLMAO:

Used the Brainworx Masterdesk for the master on this and this was the quickest I've ever had a mix translate decently to my truck. If you have a sub, turn it up! I'm really curious how this translates to all your systems so please feel free to let me know, even if it's f*cking terrible. I'm mainly curious if the guitars sound scratchy in the top end or if the low end is too much. But any feedback is good feedback!

How do you conjure all those demons and then channel them so they sing/scream/grunt/growl like that
through you?? :idk

Ouija Board? Dungeons and Dragons? Stubbing your toe on the furniture repeatedly?? :rofl

That's epic, and catchy. I am sure you can hear things I don't, because the only thing I could pick out was
maybe pumping that Bass Guitar up a bit more. But I am a sucker for Bass Guitar, and think it is pretty
much consistently drowned out in most modern mixing approach (even as Sub Bass and Synths are used
to amp the low-end to unhuman levels).

I'd be dancing around the room with the Iced Coffee Ghost of Christmas Past if I chucked out something
like this in a weekend, all while getting called back into work repeatedly. Bravo! Bravo!

(P.S. No Whammy?? ) :idk

How do you conjure all those demons and then channel them so they sing/scream/grunt/growl like that
through you?? :idk

Ouija Board? Dungeons and Dragons? Stubbing your toe on the furniture repeatedly?? :rofl

That's epic, and catchy. I am sure you can hear things I don't, because the only thing I could pick out was
maybe pumping that Bass Guitar up a bit more. But I am a sucker for Bass Guitar, and think it is pretty
much consistently drowned out in most modern mixing approach (even as Sub Bass and Synths are used
to amp the low-end to unhuman levels).

I'd be dancing around the room with the Iced Coffee Ghost of Christmas Past if I chucked out something
like this in a weekend, all while getting called back into work repeatedly. Bravo! Bravo!

(P.S. No Whammy?? ) :idk

There was a bunch of Whammy in the scratch tracks but I didn't add it in the final ones because I've been going nuts on it lately. :roflI'm worse than Hammett with his wah pedals and that's not really far off base.

Saying "over the weekend" sounds like it was done leisurely, haahaha that's not the case. I sat here for 12 hours writing it on Saturday then another 9-10 hours recording the final takes on Sunday. I wrote it pretty quickly, but getting the guitars tight took some patience. And they're still sloppy as fuck in a few places.

The screamin' thing is tricky to translate to others how I do it, but it's barely above speaking volume and doesn't hurt or anything, the tricky part is adding intensity to the technique. Learning how to dial in the mic/compression to do the heavy lifting is really vital.

I was thinkin' the same about the bass! I prefer the bass pretty strong in the mix, Tool/RATM did it well. I moved my sub the other day and I was cautious about cranking the bass until I get used to how it sounds in it's new spot. I used to have to roll my chair back 2-3 feet to hear it right, so I moved it away from the desk and I can hear it fine now, I just need to 'learn' it.

Gear:
Les Paul
Apollo Twin Duo mk2 Thunderbolt
Drew's Metalish 185 Drum file from week 2
Helix Native--Placater-Simple Delay. One rhythm track. One lead track.
Valhalla Supermassive
Unfortunately no bass this time around.
Not mastered.

Fuck me in the eyeballs. Have to get something in. Will edit later. :brick

Guitar: Gibson 335 tuned to drop C#. Only guitar I used on this one.
Bass: Squier Paranormal in drop C# using Fractal FM3 with Tom Hamilton Gift of Tone Preset.
Sounds: Fractal FM3. Various Recto Amp Models (both Red and Orange Modern) with Cliff's new "mystery" IR. One track of Vox AC30.
Drums: Drew's "Rock File" from Week 1 Challenge, dropped the Tempo down to 85bpm.
DAW: Reaper.
Windows 10

I am Plug-in and STD Free on this. I can't do the Plug-in thing until I get a better handle on operating this spaceship. :LOL:

Having a ton of fun playing Bass. Totally unexpected. It's a blast. I can definitely see myself doing it more. Can really
propel and tie a piece together with Bass.

Last edited:
Back