TGF Do Something Weekly Challenge Week 3

I managed to get my submission written, then all of a sudden any key command I did in Logic started doing CRAZY sh*t, like expanding everything while also deleting tracks, I couldn't figure out what was going on so I just restarted, relying on autosave in case I saved some stupid command in Logic by accident. Go to enter my password and whatever key I push, 3 letters enter the field. Panic.

Start Googling and see nothing useful, manage to login as a Guest so I can at least see what keys are being pushed by typing in Notepad, everything is adding a 4 to it, or random signs. Pulled batteries, pulled the thing apart, immediately ordered a new one on Amazon that'll be here tomorrow, realized it's sealed and I can't do sh*t to the keys.....start pushing every button on the keyboard and boom, problem solved.

I dunno what I had pressed or stuck, but phew. After having zero issues with a Mac as long as I have, like 15 years, that sucked! I'm not used to that! :rofl

Dude that was f*cking cool as f*ck!!!!! F*ck yeah! That rhythm sound is yum, but when that vocal part came in I was all kinds of giddy!!
Thanks! Wasn't what I was initially expecting vocally but was a good peel off the band aid nonetheless. I'm super pleased with the guitar tones.
I managed to get my submission written, then all of a sudden any key command I did in Logic started doing CRAZY sh*t, like expanding everything while also deleting tracks, I couldn't figure out what was going on so I just restarted, relying on autosave in case I saved some stupid command in Logic by accident. Go to enter my password and whatever key I push, 3 letters enter the field. Panic.

Start Googling and see nothing useful, manage to login as a Guest so I can at least see what keys are being pushed by typing in Notepad, everything is adding a 4 to it, or random signs. Pulled batteries, pulled the thing apart, immediately ordered a new one on Amazon that'll be here tomorrow, realized it's sealed and I can't do sh*t to the keys.....start pushing every button on the keyboard and boom, problem solved.

I dunno what I had pressed or stuck, but phew. After having zero issues with a Mac as long as I have, like 15 years, that sucked! I'm not used to that! :rofl
Jesus christ! DAW freakout is no joke! Hope you can get back on track.

Thanks! Wasn't what I was initially expecting vocally but was a good peel off the band aid nonetheless. I'm super pleased with the guitar tones.

Jesus christ! DAW freakout is no joke! Hope you can get back on track.

The unexpected stuff is always my favorite stuff!

And I'm all good now, just need to stop playing with the AI art stuff.

Reaper was doing weird shit while I was working on wk2, changed the playrate and tempo by like a fraction of a percent somehow and had to copy/paste into a new project. Then the transport line was jumping to the beginning or end in the middle of doing track edits. Hate those gremlins!

I gave an ear to Mr. Bungle finally. Nuclear Rabbit must have listened to plenty of that because the metal/Funk with character voices is pretty much what NR do.

Still need to listen to some Zappa

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll have a spare minute for the rest of the week, so I had to do something quicker this time. I was in the mood for something a little bit heavier, so I politely invite you to a minute of Death/Thrash Metal riff salad - bone-dry, with no dressing or topping ;-)

This is ripping \m/ Little more straight to the jugular in a good way than your last two. Great tones and riffage :satan
Here’s mine for the week:

I actually had a different idea I planned to work on, but then I got this one in my head so I had to get it out. Went a little old school

This one started when I was plunking around on a banjo during a zoom meeting at work. Though it changed quite a bit from the original concept as I started laying down parts! Originally it was supposed to be sort of a country thing.

There’s a couple tip-of-the-hat Easter eggs in there; one to Jeff Beck and one to Larry Carlton.

Usual suspects:
Squier CV Jazz Bass V
MIM Strat
HX Stomp
GarageBand drums and clav

The main melody guitar is Klon -> Grammatico, all other guitar parts are a Princeton with various effects in front (fuzz face, SD-1, dynacomp).

Bass is Rochester comp and a little EQ on the end

All comments, feedback and critiques welcome!

I love everything about this. Sounds like Rockford Files goes funky! Killer lead breaks, envelope filter'd(?) parts are great and those hammered on harmonies (?) are killer as well. Good stuff!

I guess i'm done with this one. One thing turned into another thing that turned into another thing and we have my latest installment in Random Tangent-core - kind of a Norma Jean meets Nuclear Rabbit making mutant half-children monsters.

New snare head!! -- Evans HD Dry -- like it a lot.

Pearl Roadshow kit, Zild. cymbs, Evans heads -- crash cymbal sample from AD2.
1 Kick, 1 snare, 2 overhead, 2 tom mics. Gated shells with FF G, compressed with FF C2, EQ with Pro-Q 3.

Ibanez TMB100 Bass - HX Stomp: SVT 4 Pro for low end with crossover at 250hz and L6 2204 Mod for treble above 250hz, no cab. One track, no wiggle room, less decisions to make. Side-chained to the kick to give the kick more room.

PRS S2 Standard 24 Satin - two guitar tracks - both stereo with dual amps panned 70/70 -- Helix Native: Badonk, Alex Cab on L/Placater York M65 on R for one track, and those same amps reversed on either side on a second track -- poor man's quad tracking.

Guest appearance from my Agile baritone 8 string at the ending. HX Native - Dual amps -- Badonk, Alex Cab with Stereo Width block, and Vital Drive, Moon))) Jumped, Dual Moon))) T75 4x12 cabs (stock mics), Stereo Width block. Transistor Tape for delay oscillations. Side-chained to the kick to give the kick more room.

Three tracks of Vocals fecorded with a Behringer B-2 Pro-- Compressed with FF C2, distorted with Saturn (Bus), Delay fun with Waves H-Delay (Bus), Verb'd with FF R (Bus)

Waves L1 on the master bus

You are nuts. I love it! Kinda reminds me if a bonkers take from something off S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

Great angular grooves into left field breaks stuff \m/
Another iPad demo this time with tonematched acoustic on the AxeFx III

Great tones and song!
I had two hours to slap something together:

I wanted to give the Wampler fuzztration a go on rhythm beds with it's big bottom end, so the rhythm guitars are either fuzz mode of the fuzztration hard panned, GH50L, Captor X BHG, Greenback 4x12s.
I found a Police-ish groove in my Superior Drummer 2 loop collection and found it hilarious to take this and make it a AC/DC kind of relentless back-beating.
Bass is my usual P
That god-awful noodling in the middle is a zendrive into a 20W Jet City. That gives some more sustain, but everything sounds small as heck... still working on inspriring solo tones (and I should work on my solo vocab as well...) upwards and onwards!

LOVE the tones, groove and playing on this! You have a great ear!

Here's this weeks damage, brought to you by playing after TOO MANY GUMMIES. Whole lot of issues with this all the way around, but only so many hours in the day to screw around with it.

Same equip as the last two weeks but I demoed Soothe2 which I ran against the distorted guitars. Tried to widen the image of the distorted guitars a little more, not entirely happy with them but oh well. Soundcloud also does a number on these as well I've found, which takes bad mixes and makes them even worse :ROFLMAO:

So very cool. Definitely need more of this. And, yeah, Soundcloud excels at making sure the music is as lo-fi as possible... for a music-centric site you'd think they'd figure that out...

Here's this weeks damage, brought to you by playing after TOO MANY GUMMIES. Whole lot of issues with this all the way around, but only so many hours in the day to screw around with it.

Same equip as the last two weeks but I demoed Soothe2 which I ran against the distorted guitars. Tried to widen the image of the distorted guitars a little more, not entirely happy with them but oh well. Soundcloud also does a number on these as well I've found, which takes bad mixes and makes them even worse :ROFLMAO:

Your clips have been great! Tones are :chef and the mixture of parts/sonic textures are perfect. Love the vibe \m/
Still in video editing hell

This has been on our list for years as well. It certainly took finding someone who could sing it hahaha

Great job!
Thanks!

That sound you’re hearing on the bass is a Clavinet comping along with the bass.

I can’t tell you how much I wanted a horn section for this one!
Call Me Hello GIF by Holly Logan

A little short on time this week... Had just enough time to make a "hell yeah brother!!!" song :roflDefinitely had some fun with this one. Now I can finally listen to everyone elses takes :beer

Those Hatfield's are perfection :clint Killer tones as always! What in the living hell is that footage from?

So very cool. Definitely need more of this. And, yeah, Soundcloud excels at making sure the music is as lo-fi as possible... for a music-centric site you'd think they'd figure that out...
I bet a paid membership clears all of that up, too :rolleyes:

Reaper was doing weird s**t while I was working on wk2, changed the playrate and tempo by like a fraction of a percent somehow and had to copy/paste into a new project. Then the transport line was jumping to the beginning or end in the middle of doing track edits. Hate those gremlins!

I gave an ear to Mr. Bungle finally. Nuclear Rabbit must have listened to plenty of that because the metal/Funk with character voices is pretty much what NR do.

Still need to listen to some Zappa

You’re not a Bungle fan already?!!? Damn! I never would have guessed! :rofl

They got their crazier tunes and no shortage of them, but I’m partial to stuff like this-

Took some twists on this one. Wanted to sing; decided I can't sing. At least the way I want to for this :cop:rofl

I have some thoughts on it but I am not going to poison my own well :sofa I'll listen to everyone else's once my ears return to normal

Bumblebee
Ring Modulator for bass using my FAS Modern III amp preset
Rhythm guitars JP IIC+ preset, Recto preset and Marshall 1959 Jumped preset. All boosted with Chiron.
Melody bits are a blend of all these amp models. Tremonti wah up front.

Props on the vocals!! They sound great and fit the tune perfect. Recording/producing/mixing my own vocals is THE.HARDEST. musical thing I've ever tried to do. I'm slowly getting better at it (note: that Deck the Halls track was the first piece of my own music I've shared in ages :bag).

There's just no way to be a good objective judge of it because it sounds so different on playback compared to when you were singing, and so different on playback compared to what you were expecting it to sound. I've been doing shit from simple Hank Williams Sr. songs up to full mix covers for the last many months just to try to give myself enough experience so that I have some idea of what to expect when I listen back.

Also love that angular melody and how the significantly less processed "lead" guitar pops when it comes out of that more heavily processed/densly mixed melody part.

Props on the vocals!! They sound great and fit the tune perfect. Recording/producing/mixing my own vocals is THE.HARDEST. musical thing I've ever tried to do. I'm slowly getting better at it (note: that Deck the Halls track was the first piece of my own music I've shared in ages :bag).

There's just no way to be a good objective judge of it because it sounds so different on playback compared to when you were singing, and so different on playback compared to what you were expecting it to sound. I've been doing s**t from simple Hank Williams Sr. songs up to full mix covers for the last many months just to try to give myself enough experience so that I have some idea of what to expect when I listen back.

Also love that angular melody and how the significantly less processed "lead" guitar pops when it comes out of that more heavily processed/densly mixed melody part.
Thanks! Agree on home vocal recording. Ugh.

I retracked a "drier" take on those parts and brought them up because they were too wet. Flanger aside; these are probably by my favorite recorded modeler tones so far.

Holy sh*t, I need to try the tonematching for acoustics more often! I did it once when I first got my III but I didn't get results like that!! Damn, dude! I still can't believe you're doing this on a f*cking iPad!!! Good driving-on-a-Summer-day vibe in this! Great playing and sounds, man!! I feel so f*cking lazy knowing you did this on an iPad.
:rofl
No way your lazy, I’m the one not micing up an acoustic, not eq-ing anything, and compressing the snot out of stuff in GarageBand to get a demo done lol

A little short on time this week... Had just enough time to make a "hell yeah brother!!!" song :roflDefinitely had some fun with this one. Now I can finally listen to everyone elses takes :beer

Kick ass! FJB lol ha ha ha

I love your sense for unpredictable, slightly twisted, but really catchy melodies. This almost sounds like a Goth Rock version of Ministry. I really, really like this!
Thanks TTZ! I originally was going to really sing but that didn't work out. Ministry was a favorite thing for some time for me so that's a comparison I'll take \m/

Back