TGF Do Something Weekly Challenge Week 3

Ok, tired of waiting for @DrewJD82 to stop slacking off by writing his own killer tunes and post the Week 4 thread. So, here's my next one. Need to get it off my DAW so I can move on...

Hahahah I posted in the discussion thread that I was going to wait until this weekend to start up week 4 because I’m getting my ass handed to me at work and can barely lift my head enough to drive home at the end of the day.

This is like Satan has the blues!!!

Ok, tired of waiting for @DrewJD82 to stop slacking off by writing his own killer tunes and post the Week 4 thread. So, here's my next one. Need to get it off my DAW so I can move on...

If I were to retitle this I'd call it "Hell's Waiting Room" or "Hell On Hold"

Creepy!

My week 3.5 entry:

Did I overdo the low end? Shooting for the mastering curve @James Freeman posted about on JT's Wk1 + Bass thread.

Project info:

Master Bus: Waves L1+ Ultramaximizer, FF pro-Q3

Drums (9 tracks):

MIDI Track: Addictive Drums 2 w/ FF Saturn, FF Pro-Q 3

Trigger Track: AD2 (sending kick and snare to instances of FF C2)

5 Tracks of Acoustic drums:

Pearl Roadshow Kit w/ Evans heads & Zildjian cymbals
Samson Drum mics
FF Saturn, FF Pro-R on acoustic drums

Drum Phaser Bus Track with some bone stock 4-Tap Phaser

Sample Track:808 Bass Drop sample

Guitars:

Guitar Master Track - FF Pro-Q3 (Low cut), FF Pro-C 2 (kick/snare sidechain), FF Pro-MB (vocal sidechain)

Rhythm (x2)-

Agile Intrepid 830 Pro double tracked rhythm and hard panned with identical Helix Native presets: Poly Pitch/Lo/Hi Shelf EQ/Hard Gate/Horizon Drive/L6 Badonk/Alex Cab Heavy Cream 2 IR/Poly Sustain/Tesselator.

Poly Sustain and Tesselator are taking the last guitar note, sustaining, and chopping a nice bed of lettuce for a noise salad at 3:18.

Lead-

Fender Strat - HX Native: D. Comp/Industrial Fuzz/Placater/XXL V30/160 Ribbon/Glitch Delay/Dyn Plate. Industrial Fuzz is oscillating at the end of the solo.

Bass: Ibanez TMB100

Master Track: Helix Native (Poly Sustain/Shimmer at 3:18), FF Pro C2 (Kick/snare side chain)

Clean Track - HX Native: D.Comp/Ampeg SVT 4 PRO/Para EQ (parallel routed to Sub Track)

Sub Track - HX Native: D.Comp/Low/High Cut (High Cut to 11.2khz)/Legacy Bass Octaver/D.Comp>Parallel routing> One path for some grit: Low/High Cut (Low cut 485hz)/Obsidian 7000, the other path outputting the clean Sub signal.

Dirty Track - HX Native: L6 2204 Mod/Para EQ

Vocals: Recorded with a handheld SM57

Vox Master Track: FF Pro-Q3 (Low cut/wide-q high mid bump)

Vox Reverb Bus: FF Pro-R
Vox Delay Bus: Waves H-Delay
Vox OD Bus: FF Saturn
Talk FX Bus: H Delay/Saturn

Vox track 1: FF Pro C2 and Pro DS

Vox Track 2: FF Pro C2 and Pro DS

Vox Track 3: FF Pro C2

Talking Track: FF Pro-C2, Pro-DS, Saturn and Pro-Q 3

My week 3.5 entry:

Did I overdo the low end? Shooting for the mastering curve @James Freeman posted about on JT's Wk1 + Bass thread.

Project info:

Drums (9 tracks):

Samson Drum mics

Guitars:

Guitar Master Track - FF Pro-Q3 (Low cut), FF Pro-C 2 (kick/snare sidechain), FF Pro-MB (vocal sidechain)

Rhythm (x2)-

Agile Intrepid 830 Pro double tracked rhythm and hard panned with identical Helix Native presets: Poly Pitch/Lo/Hi Shelf EQ/Hard Gate/Horizon Drive/L6 Badonk/Alex Cab Heavy Cream 2 IR/Poly Sustain/Tesselator.

Poly Sustain and Tesselator are taking the last guitar note, sustaining, and chopping a nice bed of lettuce for a noise salad at 3:18.

Lead-

Fender Strat - HX Native: D. Comp/Industrial Fuzz/Placater/XXL V30/160 Ribbon/Glitch Delay/Dyn Plate. Industrial Fuzz is oscillating at the end of the solo.

Master Track: Helix Native (Poly Sustain/Shimmer at 3:18), FF Pro C2 (Kick/snare side chain)

Clean Track - HX Native: D.Comp/Ampeg SVT 4 PRO/Para EQ (parallel routed to Sub Track)

Sub Track - HX Native: D.Comp/Low/High Cut (High Cut to 11.2khz)/Legacy Bass Octaver/D.Comp>Parallel routing> One path for some grit: Low/High Cut (Low cut 485hz)/Obsidian 7000, the other path outputting the clean Sub signal.

I am like 3:00 in and I can tell I am going to have to listen to this about 10 times, and then try and
process what the fuck. What the fuck, dude? This is EPIC! And the low-end is thick and juicy! :chef

My week 3.5 entry:

Project info:

Drums (9 tracks):

Samson Drum mics

Guitars:

Rhythm (x2)-

Lead-

Definitely didn't overdo the low end, at least as it sounds on my little M-Audios at my work desk. The vocals overpower/drown out a lot of the music, though - not sure if that happens in other listening environments or not. Mix aside, this is crazy creative. WOW. Great job!
week 3.5 here

Totally radio worthy stuff here dude! Well, does radio still exist? If it does, this needs to be on it.

Definitely didn't overdo the low end, at least as it sounds on my little M-Audios at my work desk. The vocals overpower/drown out a lot of the music, though - not sure if that happens in other listening environments or not. Mix aside, this is crazy creative. WOW. Great job!
Thanks for the critical listen. Balancing vocals/music has been a challenge (I'm fresh into this vocal recording thing), vocals were siting way above the instrumentation in my week 2 sub. I keep forgetting an important step I like to do - pull every (master track) fader back to silence and bring them up to be just loud enough to mesh before mastering.

Thanks for the praise. I keep telling myself to make something a little more tame and easier to manage but after focusing on oldies covers for so long, I have all this metal in my head that I've been holding back but now im drooling it out whenever I open my creative yapper.

Thanks for the critical listen. Balancing vocals/music has been a challenge (I'm fresh into this vocal recording thing), vocals were siting way above the instrumentation in my week 2 sub. I keep forgetting an important step I like to do - pull every (master track) fader back to silence and bring them up to be just loud enough to mesh before mastering.

Thanks for the praise. I keep telling myself to make something a little more tame and easier to manage but after focusing on oldies covers for so long, I have all this metal in my head that I've been holding back but now im drooling it out whenever I open my creative yapper.
Man, when I first started doing vocals in a DAW it took me awhile to get them to sit in, not on, the mix. You'll get there too. You already have so much going right, you're way ahead of where I was when I hit that speed bump. :rofl

I use so much compression on my vocals it’s generally not too hard to get them sitting right in the mix. Doesn’t matter how loud or quiet I get, that waveform is just a giant rectangle.:ROFLMAO:

Don't stop. I wish I had an inkling of the imagination you are putting into your tracks. Bravo! :beer
I was thinking about the Beastie Boys last night, hard, when ypou put your track up. Was reflecting
on how there once was this space where you could do something DIY and it could blow up, and
also sound fresh. I got similar (strangely enough!) vibes from your track. You can't replace or
substitute passion and creativity. There is no Plug-in for "I fucking mean it, bitches!" :LOL:

That intensity of what we put into the instruments, or through our voices, can't be massaged
in at a later date. I love the Gusto! and Gumption in that song. Will stop gushing now. :rofl

You have such a unique way of creating a sense of atmosphere and environment. If Hell has a smoke-infused,
dank and jazzy lounge this is what I hear being played in there.

Are you doubling/mirroring bass and guitar? Love the interplay I am hearing. Great tones, too. Super chill,
but also edgy. :beer

This is really cool. Instant Jayhawks vibe, which is a band I have loved long, long time.

This is my fave of the ones you have shared so far. Tasty, tasty! :chef

Love to hear some more harmonies.
Nice, I've never heard them, checking now - sounds real cool! What are your favorites of theirs?

Oh, wow. I really love the Hollywood Town Hall album front to back. That was sort of their peak. For me.

Tomorrow The Green Grass has some cool tracks on it, too.

Back