TGF Do Something Weekly Challenge Week 3

Of course I get called back into work tonight....
angry the lord of the rings GIF

The vocals aren't finished; I started lyrics before I got called in and by the time I got back my head wasn't in it and I can definitely hear it on here. I just copy/pasted sections of vocals because I was only going to devolve from "f*ck your peace of mind" :rofl
There's also some weird phasey sh*t happening at the end....it's not supposed to do that.

This was all the Edwards w/EMG's, IIC++ on the left, OG 5150 on the right (AxeFX), just double tracked these as I'm not a fan of quad tracking for higher tempo songs. I started this Saturday with only the first two riffs in the song and that first riff I initially intended on being a bit more death metal sounding, but I stuck the jazzy drums in there and it sounds like f*ckin' Gojira. :ROFLMAO:

Used the Brainworx Masterdesk for the master on this and this was the quickest I've ever had a mix translate decently to my truck. If you have a sub, turn it up! I'm really curious how this translates to all your systems so please feel free to let me know, even if it's f*cking terrible. I'm mainly curious if the guitars sound scratchy in the top end or if the low end is too much. But any feedback is good feedback!

The Dev-y Does Death Metal is strong on this one :satan I dig it \m/

Gear:
Les Paul
Apollo Twin Duo mk2 Thunderbolt
Drew's Metalish 185 Drum file from week 2
Helix Native--Placater-Simple Delay. One rhythm track. One lead track.
Valhalla Supermassive
Unfortunately no bass this time around.
Not mastered.

Nice! Digging on the Satch vibes :chef
f**k me in the eyeballs. Have to get something in. Will edit later. :brick

Guitar: Gibson 335 tuned to drop C#. Only guitar I used on this one.
Bass: Squier Paranormal in drop C# using Fractal FM3 with Tom Hamilton Gift of Tone Preset.
Sounds: Fractal FM3. Various Recto Amp Models (both Red and Orange Modern) with Cliff's new "mystery" IR. One track of Vox AC30.
Drums: Drew's "Rock File" from Week 1 Challenge, dropped the Tempo down to 85bpm.
DAW: Reaper.
Windows 10

I am Plug-in and STD Free on this. I can't do the Plug-in thing until I get a better handle on operating this spaceship. :LOL:

Having a ton of fun playing Bass. Totally unexpected. It's a blast. I can definitely see myself doing it more. Can really
propel and tie a piece together with Bass.

Great take! I would LOVE to have a 335 in drop C# :satan:clint:satan Sounds melancholy and heavy without going in a metal direction. Good job, self flagellation be damned :rofl:love

Last edited:

Bass: Squier Paranormal in drop C# using Fractal FM3 with Tom Hamilton Gift of Tone Preset.
Sounds: Fractal FM3. Various Recto Amp Models (both Red and Orange Modern) with Cliff's new "mystery" IR. One track of Vox AC30.
Drums: Drew's "Rock File" from Week 1 Challenge, dropped the Tempo down to 85bpm.
Windows 10

I am Plug-in and STD Free on this. I can't do the Plug-in thing until I get a better handle on operating this spaceship. :LOL:

Having a ton of fun playing Bass. Totally unexpected. It's a blast. I can definitely see myself doing it more. Can really

200.gif

Gear:
Les Paul
Valhalla Supermassive
Not mastered.

Dude, did you hold a chicken up to your pickups at the end!?!?! :rofl Great playing and tones, man, I definitely picked up a Satch vibe and instead of just noodling Satch-like, you managed to capture the entire feel of a Satch tune in a minute. Awesome, man!!

Windows 10

Ahhh yeah, this is something I’d get handed, as a singer, and get totally stoked about it. So much space and a great chord progression. Really f*cking cool tones and moods in here, man!!!! This is sick! I LOVE the middle section around 2:45-ish where it slows down and gets that Promised Land-era vibe. And without a single plug-in, man, sick!!!!! Love, love love the layering at the end. So many great little melodies coming in and out throughout this track.

And yeah, playing bass is a BLAST. When I can’t figure out where to go for a guitar part, I almost always grab a bass and figure it out, or a keyboard, but usually bass. I’d have no problem being a bass player if I could rock an Ampeg 8x10 everywhere I went.

No more busting your own balls, man. This is good sh*t, acknowledge that!

Well dammit now I think I rewrote the first song. Ugh.

Maybe by the end of the year I'll end up with an album worth of parts for a single song. And you can mix and match them.

Well dammit now I think I rewrote the first song. Ugh.

Maybe by the end of the year I'll end up with an album worth of parts for a single song. And you can mix and match them.

No worries man, keep working on it. By the time you’re finished it can sound like an entirely different song, even if it’s using the same chord changes. How many Metallica songs exist where they’re just riding on the low E? “Enter Sandman” and “King Nothing” are literally the exact same song, just a couple different notes and lyrics!

No worries man, keep working on it. By the time you’re finished it can sound like an entirely different song, even if it’s using the same chord changes. How many Metallica songs exist where they’re just riding on the low E? “Enter Sandman” and “King Nothing” are literally the exact same song, just a couple different notes and lyrics!

Haha all part of the process. I tracked the main part in stereo and it's heavy as shit. Like crank the speakers until they blow. This will be awesome.

I WILL finish an album by the end of the year. That's my ultimate goal, to complete at least a 10 song full length. So early on I want to get a lot of song ideas, and then by the later part of the year I'm going to be refining them.

Of course I get called back into work tonight....
angry the lord of the rings GIF

The vocals aren't finished; I started lyrics before I got called in and by the time I got back my head wasn't in it and I can definitely hear it on here. I just copy/pasted sections of vocals because I was only going to devolve from "f*ck your peace of mind" :rofl
There's also some weird phasey sh*t happening at the end....it's not supposed to do that.

This was all the Edwards w/EMG's, IIC++ on the left, OG 5150 on the right (AxeFX), just double tracked these as I'm not a fan of quad tracking for higher tempo songs. I started this Saturday with only the first two riffs in the song and that first riff I initially intended on being a bit more death metal sounding, but I stuck the jazzy drums in there and it sounds like f*ckin' Gojira. :ROFLMAO:

Used the Brainworx Masterdesk for the master on this and this was the quickest I've ever had a mix translate decently to my truck. If you have a sub, turn it up! I'm really curious how this translates to all your systems so please feel free to let me know, even if it's f*cking terrible. I'm mainly curious if the guitars sound scratchy in the top end or if the low end is too much. But any feedback is good feedback!

FVCKING SICK!!

I agree, moar bass - or just low end in general. You need to game me up on your vocal approach!!

Last edited:

Gear:
Les Paul
Valhalla Supermassive
Not mastered.

this sounds like you were having a shitload of fun! I love the lead lines

Windows 10

I'm enjoying the bounce and rhythmic interplay between guitar riffs and drums. I can't help but sing some fake lyrics while this plays

Y'all freaking amazing.

Just in case anyone wondering why I don't participate in classroom activities, I'll just post a picture.
I'm the guy on the left.

View attachment 4120

Booooo hisssssss

Everyone here has been throwing KO’s, man! Regardless of how many times they’ve tried to say they’re the dude on the left. At this point, I think 85% of the people doing the challenge have said something similar…..and they’re all full of sh*t! :rofl

FVCKING SICK!!

I agree, moar bass - or just low end in general. You need to game me up on your vocal approach!!

I’ve tried teaching it to some friends before but it’s EXTREMELY hard to translate “imagine there’s a ball in the back of your throat, around your soft palate, when you want to change pitch, thinking of moving that ball forward or backwards” :rofl

There are so many “how to scream” videos online and you can watch all of them without learning a damn thing from them. I spent nearly 20 years trying to get that screaming thing working for me and when I finally figured it out it was so simple I felt like it was cheating. It’s all vocal fry with a little projection behind it, take away the projection and it sounds like whispering. The best advice I have is to practice “screaming” while whispering, try getting that same amount of grit/tone going on and then figure out what placement you need to get it above whisper volume. THAT’S the part I can never accurately describe to people.

Doesn’t need to be loud at all, like I said it’s mostly mic/compression doing the heavy lifting. Had I known that 20 years ago, I could have saved myself from blowing my throat out over and over again for 15 years!

I’ve tried teaching it to some friends before but it’s EXTREMELY hard to translate “imagine there’s a ball in the back of your throat, around your soft palate, when you want to change pitch, thinking of moving that ball forward or backwards” :rofl

There are so many “how to scream” videos online and you can watch all of them without learning a damn thing from them. I spent nearly 20 years trying to get that screaming thing working for me and when I finally figured it out it was so simple I felt like it was cheating. It’s all vocal fry with a little projection behind it, take away the projection and it sounds like whispering. The best advice I have is to practice “screaming” while whispering, try getting that same amount of grit/tone going on and then figure out what placement you need to get it above whisper volume. THAT’S the part I can never accurately describe to people.

Doesn’t need to be loud at all, like I said it’s mostly mic/compression doing the heavy lifting. Had I known that 20 years ago, I could have saved myself from blowing my throat out over and over again for 15 years!
Do you find that the pitch you are screaming over matters? As far as how easy it is or isn't? A lot of that is why I abandoned my (more traditional) vocal approach and just went the vocodor route.

Do you find that the pitch you are screaming over matters? As far as how easy it is or isn't? A lot of that is why I abandoned my (more traditional) vocal approach and just went the vocodor route.

Not really because the technique is the same for any pitch, it’s just changing the placement inside my mouth/throat, the example I made with the ‘ball in your mouth” is exactly how I think of it; like a golf ball in the back of my throat, if there were a dot in the middle of the ball, the dot would be pointing straight up at the roof of my mouth for lower pitches then I roll it forward for higher pitches. Like talking is the same technique, regardless of what word you’re saying, you just shape your mouth differently to alter it.

If you’re whispering, you can make an “oooooooh” sound, keep whispering and raise the pitch, but make an “aaaaaahhhh” sound, the transition between the two should exemplify what I’m talking about. You’re mouth will open and widen as you’re changing the vowel sound.

And that’s exactly what I mean by translating this stuff, what feels like is happening in the back of MY throat, may feel to you like it’s happening on your tongue.

I’ll make a little vid tonight explaining it better….maybe using my hands will help. :rofl

A huge problem I have with so many of those videos online is that they don’t cover the mic technique aspect of it and there seems to be this thing with vocalists that they really enjoy saying “It’s easy, just like this…” then do exactly what you’re trying to learn how to do without giving any good information. Or they’ll say a bunch of sh*t about projecting and volume, with zero examples while talking into a mic that’s compressed all the dynamics out so you can’t tell WTF is happening.

Not really because the technique is the same for any pitch, it’s just changing the placement inside my mouth/throat, the example I made with the ‘ball in your mouth” is exactly how I think of it; like a golf ball in the back of my throat, if there were a dot in the middle of the ball, the dot would be pointing straight up at the roof of my mouth for lower pitches then I roll it forward for higher pitches. Like talking is the same technique, regardless of what word you’re saying, you just shape your mouth differently to alter it.

If you’re whispering, you can make an “oooooooh” sound, keep whispering and raise the pitch, but make an “aaaaaahhhh” sound, the transition between the two should exemplify what I’m talking about. You’re mouth will open and widen as you’re changing the vowel sound.

And that’s exactly what I mean by translating this stuff, what feels like is happening in the back of MY throat, may feel to you like it’s happening on your tongue.

I’ll make a little vid tonight explaining it better….maybe using my hands will help. :rofl

A huge problem I have with so many of those videos online is that they don’t cover the mic technique aspect of it and there seems to be this thing with vocalists that they really enjoy saying “It’s easy, just like this…” then do exactly what you’re trying to learn how to do without giving any good information. Or they’ll say a bunch of sh*t about projecting and volume, with zero examples while talking into a mic that’s compressed all the dynamics out so you can’t tell WTF is happening.
Yessssssss on the vid if you have time!

[…]

Sounds angry! :rawk That‘s some excellent Modern Death Metal and the production is really great. Your vocals are killer, Drew!

Yessssssss on the vid if you have time!

I can’t promise it’ll be all that informative, but I’ll do my best. My biggest concern is that someone hurts their voice because something I said, it’s why I’ve stayed away from teaching in any kind of way, so my disclaimer is that I’m not a vocal teacher and whatever I do is derived from f*cking myself up over and over again for years. I don’t know if that should be a warning or a sign that I learned something good along the way. :ROFLMAO:

Back