TGF Do Something Weekly Challenge Week 3

Have a crazy week full of depressing family drama and exciting work opportunities. So, not sure I'll be able to get back to this one, but it's done enough. Started with some serious inspiration for stuff with my Yamaha APX600 which faded after the first go. Then I got some other inspiration with my Jackson HT7, then that faded... and here we are...

Your music is so consistently ominous. I love it! :rawk

I would like to do something heavier, but man I have to leave it
to the stalwarts like you. Well done, Maestro! :beer

Here’s mine for the week:

I actually had a different idea I planned to work on, but then I got this one in my head so I had to get it out. Went a little old school

This one started when I was plunking around on a banjo during a zoom meeting at work. Though it changed quite a bit from the original concept as I started laying down parts! Originally it was supposed to be sort of a country thing.

There’s a couple tip-of-the-hat Easter eggs in there; one to Jeff Beck and one to Larry Carlton.

Usual suspects:
Squier CV Jazz Bass V
MIM Strat
HX Stomp
GarageBand drums and clav

The main melody guitar is Klon -> Grammatico, all other guitar parts are a Princeton with various effects in front (fuzz face, SD-1, dynacomp).

Bass is Rochester comp and a little EQ on the end

All comments, feedback and critiques welcome!

Jesus, dude! 70's Soundtrack much??! That was sick. So many tasty, shredded cheese licks in that.

I heard that Carlton vibe right out of the gate, and then you threw in those Beck-ish vibes later on.
You have chops and an ear, Met. Lethal! :beer

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll have a spare minute for the rest of the week, so I had to do something quicker this time. I was in the mood for something a little bit heavier this week, so I politely invite you to a minute of Death/Thrash Metal riff salad - bone-dry, with no dressing or topping ;-)

That has such a killer post-Baloff Exodus vibe. Love it!

I actually had a different idea I planned to work on, but then I got this one in my head so I had to get it out. Went a little old school

This one started when I was plunking around on a banjo during a zoom meeting at work. Though it changed quite a bit from the original concept as I started laying down parts! Originally it was supposed to be sort of a country thing.

There’s a couple tip-of-the-hat Easter eggs in there; one to Jeff Beck and one to Larry Carlton.

Usual suspects:
Squier CV Jazz Bass V
MIM Strat
HX Stomp

The main melody guitar is Klon -> Grammatico, all other guitar parts are a Princeton with various effects in front (fuzz face, SD-1, dynacomp).

That was like an all you can eat buffet of killer musical bites. Way to go!

Usual suspects:
Squier CV Jazz Bass V
MIM Strat
HX Stomp

Cool groove!

Here’s some silly ukulele inspired fun called “Time Chapter”.

Gear used in production; Luna Vineland Concert Ukulele, Relish Mary One, Fractal FM9, GS Music e7, UDO Super 6, Arturia Wurli V, Arturia Mini V, Roland JP-8080, Majella Audio Implexus, Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave, Logic Pro X Drummer, Meris LVX,

And a really crappy singer ;)

holy shit this is amazeballs.

Have a crazy week full of depressing family drama and exciting work opportunities. So, not sure I'll be able to get back to this one, but it's done enough. Started with some serious inspiration for stuff with my Yamaha APX600 which faded after the first go. Then I got some other inspiration with my Jackson HT7, then that faded... and here we are...

unexpected and scary!

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll have a spare minute for the rest of the week, so I had to do something quicker this time. I was in the mood for something a little bit heavier this week, so I politely invite you to a minute of Death/Thrash Metal riff salad - bone-dry, with no dressing or topping ;-)

ripping!

Usual suspects:
Squier CV Jazz Bass V
MIM Strat
HX Stomp

The last few submissions had my head banging, this has me doing the pigeon thing!

hot.gif

I guess i'm done with this one. One thing turned into another thing that turned into another thing and we have my latest installment in Random Tangent-core - kind of a Norma Jean meets Nuclear Rabbit making mutant half-children monsters.

New snare head!! -- Evans HD Dry -- like it a lot.

Pearl Roadshow kit, Zild. cymbs, Evans heads -- crash cymbal sample from AD2.
1 Kick, 1 snare, 2 overhead, 2 tom mics. Gated shells with FF G, compressed with FF C2, EQ with Pro-Q 3.

Ibanez TMB100 Bass - HX Stomp: SVT 4 Pro for low end with crossover at 250hz and L6 2204 Mod for treble above 250hz, no cab. One track, no wiggle room, less decisions to make. Side-chained to the kick to give the kick more room.

PRS S2 Standard 24 Satin - two guitar tracks - both stereo with dual amps panned 70/70 -- Helix Native: Badonk, Alex Cab on L/Placater York M65 on R for one track, and those same amps reversed on either side on a second track -- poor man's quad tracking.

Guest appearance from my Agile baritone 8 string at the ending. HX Native - Dual amps -- Badonk, Alex Cab with Stereo Width block, and Vital Drive, Moon))) Jumped, Dual Moon))) T75 4x12 cabs (stock mics), Stereo Width block. Transistor Tape for delay oscillations. Side-chained to the kick to give the kick more room.

Three tracks of Vocals fecorded with a Behringer B-2 Pro-- Compressed with FF C2, distorted with Saturn (Bus), Delay fun with Waves H-Delay (Bus), Verb'd with FF R (Bus)

Waves L1 on the master bus

Usual suspects:
Squier CV Jazz Bass V
MIM Strat
HX Stomp

That was really cool! As I was listening, after you finished the first time through, and put that little extra guitar riff in (~:54, I think), I was thinking, "Ok, take it right back to the main theme," which is exactly what you did. Perfect.
I love the way you tied all those melodic statements together too. That takes, imo, real writing talent. Very easy to listen to and follow, even though it's not a run-of-the-mill progression. Great work!

I guess i'm done with this one. One thing turned into another thing that turned into another thing and we have my latest installment in Random Tangent-core - kind of a Norma Jean meets Nuclear Rabbit making mutant half-children monsters.

1 Kick, 1 snare, 2 overhead, 2 tom mics. Gated shells with FF G, compressed with FF C2, EQ with Pro-Q 3.

Ibanez TMB100 Bass - HX Stomp: SVT 4 Pro for low end with crossover at 250hz and L6 2204 Mod for treble above 250hz, no cab. One track, no wiggle room, less decisions to make. Side-chained to the kick to give the kick more room.

PRS S2 Standard 24 Satin - two guitar tracks - both stereo with dual amps panned 70/70 -- Helix Native: Badonk, Alex Cab on L/Placater York M65 on R for one track, and those same amps reversed on either side on a second track -- poor man's quad tracking.

Guest appearance from my Agile baritone 8 string at the ending. HX Native - Dual amps -- Badonk, Alex Cab with Stereo Width block, and Vital Drive, Moon))) Jumped, Dual Moon))) T75 4x12 cabs (stock mics), Stereo Width block. Transistor Tape for delay oscillations. Side-chained to the kick to give the kick more room.

Three tracks of Vocals fecorded with a Behringer B-2 Pro-- Compressed with FF C2, distorted with Saturn (Bus), Delay fun with Waves H-Delay (Bus), Verb'd with FF R (Bus)

That Bass sound is insane.
Kristen Bell Omg GIF by The Good Place

I was so unhappy with yesterday's incomplete submission, I wrote another one this morning...

Ok, had a chance to come back and add the gear:

Guitar 1-4: BC Rich Blood Bound Warbeast loaded with a custom Elysian Valkyrie.
Bass: Solar A2.4

Digitech Drop Pedal tuning to C#

Rigs: Guitar 1 & 3 - Helix SD1>Soldano Lead>Ola Meas OS 412 IR
Guitar 2 & 4 - Helix SD1>Deizel>Mesa 412
Bass - Helix SD1>Soldano Lead>Mesa 610 (?)

Drums: Betamonkey Loops

Last edited:

This has such a killer post-70s funk/Zappa vibe to it. Love it. And that bass tone is Flea all day, every day. #legit

I haven’t had the chance to listen to these yet, spent my entire night at work last night, got home with enough time to cook some chicken tenders and strum a few notes on a guitar then it was lights da fug out for me. Hopefully I can stay home tonight, or leave a bit early. I’m a frikin zombie right now with a f*cked up back, so I’m like a hunchback zombie.

Wish my kind of depressing family drama sounded like this.
Kudos for churning this out!
Hall Of Fame Game GIF

Back