TGF Do Something Weekly Challenge Week 1 Thread

I’ll get it, I finished tracking the rhythm guitars last night. Got to work at 3AM today after sleeping for about 2 hours, gonna go home and throw down a bass track and hopefully squeeze vocals in before I meet up with some friends tonight. I might actually Uber and not because I’ll be drinking, but my brain should be appropriately fried by that point!

No Scarfacing it just to keep them eyes open, Buddy! :hmm

No sexy time until you get this submission in!! :LOL:

Way ahead of ya; she wanted to come over this weekend and I had no problem saying ”Nope!” after this week. I need to vegetate and prepare for a repeat of this week to occur next week. That also presented an opportune time for my “I don’t want a relationship” reminder I sneak in every other week because had I been in a relationship, I’d feel obliged to hang. All my friends get ignored equally. :rofl

January 13, 2023
TGP challenge December update

We have bass! Vocals have been implemented and Drew is confident that - provided no showstoppers are found in his social life - he should be able to release a 155 bpm version in the coming days.
Orson Welles Laughing GIF

Definitely sounds like some kind of conversion going on. I wonder if they compress
the files to MP3 format no matter what you upload.
Yeah, super compressed. They stream at like 64 or something super low? I think you might be able to download the original file as uploaded...but maybe that's 256

Alright here we go, first full song I've written in probably fifteen years!

Pretty happy with how it turned out. I learned a LOT in the process, and hopefully I can make some more songs. Although I have no idea how to make a bass guitar sound good yet.

I started with the rock track I think, slowed it way down, and then ended up slicing it up a bit. For the ending I figured out how to use EZ Drummer a bit so I could drag in a couple other grooves and spliced some other bits together.

To write the song, I did a bunch of scratch tracks over the original groove, then picked out the stuff I liked and dubbed it again. I tried doing all dry guitars and using plugins but ended up re-doing all the guitars and bass tonight printed fully wet.

Thanks Drew for the challenge and inspiration!

Gear:

Garageband for the DAW
Fractal Axe FX 3 for all bass and guitars
Brit 800 model for all guitars with different effects and settings for different parts
PRS CE-24 (stock 85/15 pickups) for rhythm guitar and the end lead
Ibanez AZ 2204 (Dimarzio Injector / Area 67 / 36th PAF bridge) for rhythm guitar and various clean melodies
Fender Telecaster (K-Line Signature pickups) for the chorus melody
Squier Jaguar Vintage Modified bass

Sounds great, Jarick. Really glad to see you writing some material - have always loved the playing you've done with covers :beer

With this I mean I have 10 ( could have 20 also) Guitar tracks

Some have 20 plugins in there sessions, and that might become a `problem` it`s just to much. So keep it simple

Random quotes from this thread that make my hair fall out
1673627514457.gif

Yeah, super compressed. They stream at like 64 or something super low? I think you might be able to download the original file as uploaded...but maybe that's 256

Thanks for the confirmation. Nice to know my ears are not completely toast, and I can trust them a little bit! :beer

Since I am so new at this, but have a lot of experience recording in previous mediums, I am staying 100 miles
away from the Plug-in Universe until I get a better handle on things. It's already overwhelming just learning a
DAW. More moving parts is not what I need.

Thanks for the reminder! :beer
Ditto … i’m quickly approaching the asymptote of Whizzinby musings about time and completion and stuff.

I think I can get into the studio in the next hour and mix down, “master” LOL 😂 and post. Be finished.

What a fun week!

I’ll tell you it’s pretty humbling being one of the last guys to post… So much great music delivered already. 🤩

Friday The 13Th Vintage GIF

Sweet! I sat down in my boss’s office and the first thing she said was “Why have you not taken a day off yet? You said you were going to last month and now look at you, you can barely even talk! (I lose my voice when I’m stressed/fatigued) What do you have going on Mon….you know what, it doesn’t matter. You’re taking Monday off.”

Works for me! That’ll give me plenty of time to get started on next week’s submission!

Sweet! I sat down in my boss’s office and the first thing she said was “Why have you not taken a day off yet? You said you were going to last month and now look at you, you can barely even talk! (I lose my voice when I’m stressed/fatigued) What do you have going on Mon….you know what, it doesn’t matter. You’re taking Monday off.”

Works for me! That’ll give me plenty of time to finish this week’s submission!

Fixed! :LOL:

I really don’t know what to say, but that it was just freakin ton of fun fella‘s… Thank you.

Thanks for putting up with all the multi-tracking. ;)

Someone stop me before I go to buy all the shit I need to actually do this, incl lessons… lol

Guitars: PRS P24 LR Baggs doing 12 strings; Strat for most everything else. Including bass.

AxeFx3: ‘59 Bassman, Bogner 20th, Ric O’ twelve

Last edited:
Back