TGF Do Something Weekly Challenge Week 1 Thread

That‘s a really calm and soothing track. Very, very good! An absolute pleasure to listen to. And I find it interesting how completely different our songs turned out although we chose the same drum file. :-)

Production & playing are just in a different league than anything I could do. Wow! Hearing some Floyd vibes here, love it!

Last edited:
Caution: long winded post of performance, workflow and technical notes so if thats not your thing, dont read this lol.

I just wanted to post my workflow and technical notes partially because this is the stuff I like to read, too. As far as the gear goes, I have a DifferentPC which is a custom build tweaked for audio. nothing outrageous, just an i9. 64GB of ram and a few drives running Windows 10. Yes, I have a mac, a few actually but when it came time to upgrade, a comparable Mac Pro to replace my (still in use) cheese grater was literally 4 times the money. Soooooo, thats the computer.

Interface is all UAD. I have 3-X8 interfaces and 2 octo cards. I own every UAD plugin that isnt an amp sim because…..this recording was an AxeFXIII. Sometimes I reamp via a Two Notes Reload, but not on this one. This was the Larry Mitchell Gift of Tone preset FAS posted last month. Larry is a kind soul and I’m proud to call him my friend. One thing we have in common is Knaggs guitars. This was recorded with the Kenai Jr (think Les Paul Jr) with a single P90. Volume and tone knob. I didnt tweak the preset except to get a little more grit at the end.

Drums on this was Superior. I’ve recently acquired an SSL Bus + compressor that to me is magic on drums. On anything, really but I only have one and pressed for time here, thats what they’re going through. I like to process with UAD channel strips, particularly the SSL and API ones. The Neve 1073 is GOLD on dirty guitars. I’ve also recently bought the Plugin Alliance Everything bundle (10 pay x79 bucks). Wow. What a great collection of plugins. Glitch track was spectrasonics. I own Reason and really need to dive deeper into it. Who has the time.

Bass on this track is an Ibanez Affirma reissue. It’s the only bass I own. Sometimes I’ll use plugin bass for things that are beyond my ability. It’s harder to program and takes more time but the results are usually what I want to hear. Bass went direct and I LOVE the Ampeg bass plugin (PA and UAD are the same). That thing just sounds so meaty and I dunno….amplike.

DAW is Studio One. I adore Presonus and think S1 is the perfect combination of usability, customization and simplicity. Tape stop effect was Softube Tape on MixFX in Studio One.

Some of the guitar effects were UAD plugins (Korg SSD I think its called) and some were from the Eventide H9000. I tend to automate my FX as I want to hear them. I also own Eventide Anthology and those are my go to micro pitch and general pitch shifting stuff. Coming up when I came up, these guys were the kings. I cant get away from them.

NONE of this track would have been possible without the single best studio purchase I’ve made: Slate VSX headphones. 500 bucks took my mixes from awful to their current state of mediocre and sometimes even decent. I cant rave about these things enough. I was an early adopter and man, I hate to use buzz words but game changer fits.

So these kinds of contests are challenging to say the least. I got this done working my 60 hour work week (+8 because I worked a day off too), and a 2-3 hour round trip commute. I sat down and had NO IDEA what I was going to come up with a week ago. no song idea, key, melody, nothing. All I had in my corner was my workflow which thankfully I’ve tweaked to exactly where and how I want it. If I can impart any wisdom at all from 20+ years now of recording myself, get your workflow so it’s as out of your way as possible. Nothing kills creativity more than having to route channels, search for FX, develop new recording techniques or any of this stuff faster than a workflow that gets in your way. Make a session template in your DAW that brings up channels routed how you need them, whatever VIs you may be using etc. A big workflow game changer with these drums for me was a 160 dollar or so AKAI MPD226. 16 pads, 4 banks. I have it mapped to Superior, I have my Superior kit preset routed and ready to go so when I sit down, I’m ready to start tapping out a part. If this weren’t the case, its a good 10 minutes to find notes on a midi keyboard, route multitrack channels etc etc. Another nod to Presonus is their toolbar customization. I made buttons that populate the toolbar for common functions including launching Kontakt, Superior (if I’m not in a template already) audio tracks, mixdown etc etc. HUGE time savers.

Lastly, for anyone just getting started. KEEP AT IT. It really takes a long time to develop recording and production chops. When you do it all yourself your recording will only be as good as what you are WORST at. It’s a harsh reality so like a bodybuilder, you keep building your weak points into strong points. I spent years of shooting around demos to friends who would then ask “hey, is that a drum”? You have to go through it and there are no free lunches here. What is on your side today is you dont have to be up until the ass crack of dawn every night poking through a method book like I (we) did back then. YouTube is a fantastic resource and so are these forums. Plenty of folks willing to help including me so dont ever be scared to ask “why dont I hear my guitar”?

Thank you all for the listen. I’m going to poke back a few pages and have an hour or so tonite during my commute and give a few listens and comments.
Excellent write up. Big then I found very quickly is I don't know really any keyboard shortcuts in Cakewalk. Like how to select from current location to end of tracks, select all, etc. Those things add up in the irritation zone :cuss :rofl

I really don’t know what to say, but that it was just freakin ton of fun fella‘s… Thank you.

Thanks for putting up with all the multi-tracking. ;)

Someone stop me before I go to buy all the s**t I need to actually do this, incl lessons… lol

Guitars: PRS P24 LR Baggs doing 12 strings; Strat for most everything else. Including bass.

AxeFx3: ‘59 Bassman, Bogner 20th, Ric O’ twelve

Absolutely fantastic.

You dudes are a bunch of ringers

Caution: long winded post of performance, workflow and technical notes so if thats not your thing, dont read this lol.

I just wanted to post my workflow and technical notes partially because this is the stuff I like to read, too. As far as the gear goes, I have a DifferentPC which is a custom build tweaked for audio. nothing outrageous, just an i9. 64GB of ram and a few drives running Windows 10. Yes, I have a mac, a few actually but when it came time to upgrade, a comparable Mac Pro to replace my (still in use) cheese grater was literally 4 times the money. Soooooo, thats the computer.

Interface is all UAD. I have 3-X8 interfaces and 2 octo cards. I own every UAD plugin that isnt an amp sim because…..this recording was an AxeFXIII. Sometimes I reamp via a Two Notes Reload, but not on this one. This was the Larry Mitchell Gift of Tone preset FAS posted last month. Larry is a kind soul and I’m proud to call him my friend. One thing we have in common is Knaggs guitars. This was recorded with the Kenai Jr (think Les Paul Jr) with a single P90. Volume and tone knob. I didnt tweak the preset except to get a little more grit at the end.

Drums on this was Superior. I’ve recently acquired an SSL Bus + compressor that to me is magic on drums. On anything, really but I only have one and pressed for time here, thats what they’re going through. I like to process with UAD channel strips, particularly the SSL and API ones. The Neve 1073 is GOLD on dirty guitars. I’ve also recently bought the Plugin Alliance Everything bundle (10 pay x79 bucks). Wow. What a great collection of plugins. Glitch track was spectrasonics. I own Reason and really need to dive deeper into it. Who has the time.

Bass on this track is an Ibanez Affirma reissue. It’s the only bass I own. Sometimes I’ll use plugin bass for things that are beyond my ability. It’s harder to program and takes more time but the results are usually what I want to hear. Bass went direct and I LOVE the Ampeg bass plugin (PA and UAD are the same). That thing just sounds so meaty and I dunno….amplike.

DAW is Studio One. I adore Presonus and think S1 is the perfect combination of usability, customization and simplicity. Tape stop effect was Softube Tape on MixFX in Studio One.

Some of the guitar effects were UAD plugins (Korg SSD I think its called) and some were from the Eventide H9000. I tend to automate my FX as I want to hear them. I also own Eventide Anthology and those are my go to micro pitch and general pitch shifting stuff. Coming up when I came up, these guys were the kings. I cant get away from them.

NONE of this track would have been possible without the single best studio purchase I’ve made: Slate VSX headphones. 500 bucks took my mixes from awful to their current state of mediocre and sometimes even decent. I cant rave about these things enough. I was an early adopter and man, I hate to use buzz words but game changer fits.

So these kinds of contests are challenging to say the least. I got this done working my 60 hour work week (+8 because I worked a day off too), and a 2-3 hour round trip commute. I sat down and had NO IDEA what I was going to come up with a week ago. no song idea, key, melody, nothing. All I had in my corner was my workflow which thankfully I’ve tweaked to exactly where and how I want it. If I can impart any wisdom at all from 20+ years now of recording myself, get your workflow so it’s as out of your way as possible. Nothing kills creativity more than having to route channels, search for FX, develop new recording techniques or any of this stuff faster than a workflow that gets in your way. Make a session template in your DAW that brings up channels routed how you need them, whatever VIs you may be using etc. A big workflow game changer with these drums for me was a 160 dollar or so AKAI MPD226. 16 pads, 4 banks. I have it mapped to Superior, I have my Superior kit preset routed and ready to go so when I sit down, I’m ready to start tapping out a part. If this weren’t the case, its a good 10 minutes to find notes on a midi keyboard, route multitrack channels etc etc. Another nod to Presonus is their toolbar customization. I made buttons that populate the toolbar for common functions including launching Kontakt, Superior (if I’m not in a template already) audio tracks, mixdown etc etc. HUGE time savers.

Lastly, for anyone just getting started. KEEP AT IT. It really takes a long time to develop recording and production chops. When you do it all yourself your recording will only be as good as what you are WORST at. It’s a harsh reality so like a bodybuilder, you keep building your weak points into strong points. I spent years of shooting around demos to friends who would then ask “hey, is that a drum”? You have to go through it and there are no free lunches here. What is on your side today is you dont have to be up until the ass crack of dawn every night poking through a method book like I (we) did back then. YouTube is a fantastic resource and so are these forums. Plenty of folks willing to help including me so dont ever be scared to ask “why dont I hear my guitar”?

Thank you all for the listen. I’m going to poke back a few pages and have an hour or so tonite during my commute and give a few listens and comments.
Thanks for the insight into your process 👍
I’m interested in the workflow and session template of which you’ve written about.
I’ve got a long way to go understanding and attempting to implement such a thing.

Absolutely fantastic.

You dudes are a bunch of ringers

Dude, I don’t play like Bruce… And I don’t have an SSL plug-in on my bus… 😉

I “mastered” (lol) everything through the Fractal over the multi-band compressor, a little bit of EQ and a tiny bit of medium room verb (like 2%) 🤩

Seriously, though… The kind words really help.

It really was putting your pecker on the table for all of us.

ted GIF

Edit: I’ll add that a long time ago I auditioned for a spot within “up with people” band… I knew the chances are like 10-15%…

Didn’t get the gig but I’ll never forget the bass player who invited me to audition reminding me “Like dude, there’s always someone out there who’s gonna put your dick in the dirt. Don’t let it stop you.”

Last edited:
I was going to get home and do the vocals and a few more cracks at the solo but I've got friends over and I doubt I'll be able to do anything by the time they leave. I still want to do vocals on this one, I got most of the parts written in my head. And a better solo. The mix is a bit f*cky with the solo volume, just a bit too loud but I'm not gonna start mixing now.

Guitar- Solar E-type
Amp-AxeFX using a dual-amp preset, IIC++ on one side and Dual Rec on the other. The guitars are double tracked and when I did the 2nd track I reversed the cab panning, so basically each amp is on each side to fulfill an OCD thing in me. I just prefer things balanced like that instead of an entirely different tone in each speaker, but I'm working on it.

Bass- Spector Pulse, preset is a JCM800 into an 8x10 and a DI.

Drums SD3 and I chopped the sh*t out of that drum track. Sometimes I just can't force something out and the dance/hi-hat pump section and the other section I cut out were just making me not enjoy working on it, so I went with keeping the song uptempo the whole way through so I could feel thoroughly stressed while getting all those palm mutes double tracked tightly.

It's a whole different thing mixing something at this tempo, I never realized how much of an effect that would have on everything the higher the tempo. I also initially had this in drop-D but when it wasn't working out with the Edwards I switched to the Solar in drop-C. I prefer it in D, but only because of the tension of the strings.

Drum tracks for the next one won't be posted til tomorrow, FYI!

I was going to get home and do the vocals and a few more cracks at the solo but I've got friends over and I doubt I'll be able to do anything by the time they leave. I still want to do vocals on this one, I got most of the parts written in my head. And a better solo. The mix is a bit f*cky with the solo volume, just a bit too loud but I'm not gonna start mixing now.

Guitar- Solar E-type
Amp-AxeFX using a dual-amp preset, IIC++ on one side and Dual Rec on the other. The guitars are double tracked and when I did the 2nd track I reversed the cab panning, so basically each amp is on each side to fulfill an OCD thing in me. I just prefer things balanced like that instead of an entirely different tone in each speaker, but I'm working on it.

Drums SD3 and I chopped the sh*t out of that drum track. Sometimes I just can't force something out and the dance/hi-hat pump section and the other section I cut out were just making me not enjoy working on it, so I went with keeping the song uptempo the whole way through so I could feel thoroughly stressed while getting all those palm mutes double tracked tightly.

It's a whole different thing mixing something at this tempo, I never realized how much of an effect that would have on everything the higher the tempo. I also initially had this in drop-D but when it wasn't working out with the Edwards I switched to the Solar in drop-C. I prefer it in D, but only because of the tension of the strings.

The squeels, tho

Guitar- Solar E-type

Jeezus F'ing Whatever dude! Your secret life as a masochist is a secret no more!! :LOL:

Wristbreaker. Neckbreaker. Ballbreaker. Metronomebreaker. Whammybreaker. Holy hell! :rawk

May I suggest a 60bpm Floydian-inspired ballad this coming week? If so, I can hook you
up with some Quaaludes! :crazy

Last edited:

Guitar- Solar E-type

JFC :satan

Nba Playoffs Sport GIF by NBA

Guitar- Solar E-type

Holy fuck Drew! Badass doesn't begin to describe that! I was just running sextuplet riffs @108 (barely), so I know the amount of practice beforehand it takes to be able to play that shit. Well done bro!

Thanks everyone, I’m looking forward to giving my wrist a break this week. Getting some breakfast in me then some work on the Les Pauls (Aldrich is going in today and I got the EMG solderless switch for the Edwards in), once that’s all done I’ll post up some drum tracks for this week. I don’t know how many more of these full-tracks I have, but if any of you with drum MIDI’s has full songs already done up, I’m not gonna complain if you send me the MIDI file. ;)

Jeezus F'ing Whatever dude! Your secret life as a masochist is a secret no more!! :LOL:

Wristbreaker. Neckbreaker. Ballbreaker. Metronomebreaker. Whammybreaker. Holy hell! :rawk

May I suggest a 60bpm Floydian-inspired ballad this coming week? If so, I can hook you
up with some Quaaludes! :crazy

I’ve wanted to get my hands on quaaludes for about 25 years now!!! PLEASE!!!!!! I heard there’s a company in Germany making them again but they aren’t the same.

And yeah, I‘m definitely backing off the tempo this week!

Holy f**k Drew! Badass doesn't begin to describe that! I was just running sextuplet riffs @108 (barely), so I know the amount of practice beforehand it takes to be able to play that s**t. Well done bro!

Hahaha yeah, I was showing my buddy how to play it last night and realized I was using economy picking when switching strings because there just isn’t enough time to alternate pick everything. The Solar being down in drop-C had the damn C string flopping around a little bit and I really needed that f*cker staying put. It’s crazy how things start changing at tempos that high, there’s a bunch of thing to take into account of what can slow you down or from a tonal point, how to get it clear enough to stand out,

Dude, I don’t play like Bruce… And I don’t have an SSL plug-in on my bus… 😉

I “mastered” (lol) everything through the Fractal over the multi-band compressor, a little bit of EQ and a tiny bit of medium room verb (like 2%) 🤩

Seriously, though… The kind words really help.

It really was putting your pecker on the table for all of us.

ted GIF

Edit: I’ll add that a long time ago I auditioned for a spot within “up with people” band… I knew the chances are like 10-15%…

Didn’t get the gig but I’ll never forget the bass player who invited me to audition reminding me “Like dude, there’s always someone out there who’s gonna put your dick in the dirt. Don’t let it stop you.”

Hahaha Up With People came to my school my Junior or Senior year and a couple of my school band-mates ended up joining them for a while. They were in town for a few days, they were doing some workshops in the two high schools. For those that don’t know, this was like a touring Glee group; all these nice, clean cut, upstanding students singing super positive songs and spreading good happiness stuff and they‘d tour around the world doing volunteer work.

They were in town for a week doing workshops at our two high schools and on the last night, I had about 10 of them in my apartment. They were all supposed to be back in their hotel at a certain time and I think only two made it back, the others I have polaroids of them using my gas mask bong, puking over the rail of my 2nd floor porch. I lived in one of the worst areas of my city, it was f*cking hilarious seeing all these preppy, super positive young adults raising hell and experiencing this stuff for the first time. The next morning I drove them to their bus and my band instructor was there to see them off. He turned white when he saw my truck pulling in.

The actual adults were freaking out trying to figure out where these kids went, my band instructor was obviously concerned as he’s the one who got them to come to our city and here’s his most hated student who he knows drinks and does drugs pulling up to their bus and the Up With People kids are piling out of my truck like clowns in a clown car, all hungover and disheveled. :roflI stuck my head out my window and said “I found these guys hitchhiking! See you Monday, Mr. Libby!”

He didn’t talk to me for like a week straight and I think the first interaction we had after that was when he threw me out of jazz band for doing the EVH elephant noises with my whammy bar/volume swells while he was talking. :ROFLMAO:

Guitar- Solar E-type

brutal-trautwig.gif

Back