TGF Do Something Challenge Week 6!

Fumble Dick remix.

• Add a little distorted part between the two clean parts at the start. Not sure if it works.
  • Shortened the end riff, and added a resolving part (used above)
  • Added a few drum fills
  • Retracked a bass part
  • Used Sooth2 on the guitar parts (Nolly's de-spike preset)
Otherwise Neutron on the guitar and bass buses. Ozone on the Stereo bus. Computer was about to melt by the end of it.

This is a solid song. A few things I’d do different but love the parts and ideas.

Started this one this afternoon and finished it up tonight. Voice is coming back so I felt like doing some vocals for this one. Just kind of hit record and let things fall out of my mouth.

Guitar Left: Fender Strat - Hx Stomp (Comp/Fuzz/PoT) - PRS MT15 preamp - Ignite TSA - Dua Verde IR
Guitar Right: Fender Strat - Hx Stomp (Comp/Fuzz/PoT) - Badonk Preamp - Ignite TSA - Dua Verde IR
Guitar Center: Fender Strat - Hx Stomp (Bitcrusher Dist) - PRS MT15 preamp - Ignite TSA - Dua Verde IR
Bass: The usual
Drums: AD2

Last edited:
Throwing in the towel. Needs fills, a lead, a better song, super lazy dead space at the start I can't be bothered to fill, needs a proper fade at the end, didn't try to do much with the mix, so this is a real treat! Best a man can do in a few hours.

Bonus points for anyone that catches it.

Everyone has already said it but MAN that clean tone is all that and a bag of chips. Great job! Jazzed to hear it with some Drewcifer vox.
Started this one this afternoon and finished it up tonight. Voice is coming back so I felt like doing some vocals for this one. Just kind of hit record and let things fall out of my mouth.

Guitar Left: Fender Strat - Hx Stomp (Comp/Fuzz/PoT) - PRS MT15 preamp - Ignite TSA - Dua Verde IR
Guitar Right: Fender Strat - Hx Stomp (Comp/Fuzz/PoT) - Badonk Preamp - Ignite TSA - Dua Verde IR
Guitar Center: Fender Strat - Hx Stomp (Bitcrusher Dist) - PRS MT15 preamp - Ignite TSA - Dua Verde IR

As always, dig your stuff - I saw "Guitar Center: Fender Strat" in your post and for a split second was thinking you bought a Guitar Center exclusive Fender Strat... clearly I need more coffee... :facepalm:rofl:guiness

As always, dig your stuff - I saw "Guitar Center: Fender Strat" in your post and for a split second was thinking you bought a Guitar Center exclusive Fender Strat... clearly I need more coffee... :facepalm
Right on, I did buy it from Guitar Center many moons ago so you're not too far off :beer

Slate VSX cans will change your life. They changed mine. Now my mixes translate way better.

I don’t think it’s tools at this point. Could be and I’m happy to buy but I think it’s education/experience, skill and ears.

I bet you could charge 50 to 100 bucks an hour super easily to mixed songs. Hell, I’d pay you 100 bucks to spend an hour or two on my song.

More importantly however, I would pay you 2 or 3X that to learn from you; eg zoom call working session.

I watch this guy a lot. Listen to the amounts of money he’s making currently.

Last edited:

Had a Dave Grohl vibe going with your vocals on this one, but more punk. Good job.

Change Log v3
  • Ran Neutron against the drums to make them pop a little more
  • Removed the distorted part between the two opening clean sections
  • Did the Zach Wish move of sending the distorted guitars to a reverb bus, using Waves room verb to add a little depth to the distorted parts.
Not sure how much its "improving". Leaving this alone after this version. May start my own thread, Teach a Moron to Mix, for future weeks lol

Listening back to the latest version on SoundCloud I think the distorted guitars need to be dialed back in the mix a little on the heavier parts. They sorta suffocate the drums, whereas there is a better balance on the clean parts where both pop. :facepalm

What a PITA.

Change Log v3
  • Did the Zach Wish move of sending the distorted guitars to a reverb bus, using Waves room verb to add a little depth to the distorted parts.
Not sure how much its "improving". Leaving this alone after this version. May start my own thread, Teach a Moron to Mix, for future weeks lol

Brother it's fine. You're moving into some fine tuning steps on a very solid song at this point.

I agree, maybe drop the distorted guitars just a little bit and see if the drums seem to sit the same in the mix as the clean section.

I'm not familiar with all of the plugs you're using, do they do some of the basic beginning EQ cuts, to move the guitar out of the bass/bass drum frequencies and some of the basics like that?

OK I’m gonna go down to the studio and turn on my rig and check out the iterations and most recent submissions

@Whizzinby - totally understand “the desire” brother. I love iterating on this shit/knowledge/understanding

Feedback is key. Slower growth without it.

Dooode ... was getting outta HS during punk. killer!

clint eastwood punk GIF

Change Log v3

OK… First read here, so take the huge bag of salt.

New mix

- first round of clean guitars. Something is definitely clearer. Haven’t spent the time yet to figure out what.

- distorted guitars, lost the honk, imaged wider, better detail and more upfront. I like it.

- Kick is good/solid

- Good loudness

- bass … jelly; I need one 👊

- kit and overheads better - clearer, more popping in the mix

EDIT: just saw the conversation above about bringing the distorted guitars down a little bit to pop the drums. That seems like good advice. That’s the one thing maybe in that area that might be cool if you could hear the kit a little bit more there (balance it out was the phrase used above… not saying even though, cuz loud is loud.)

Well done!

There’s nothing I can find to fix. (Well you got to get rid of that 60 cycle unplug? at the end brother unless it’s on purpose? Is that a metal thing? Lol I’m old-school about certain frequencies/sounds 😉)

My .02 pesos. :beer

Last edited:
Brother it's fine. You're moving into some fine tuning steps on a very solid song at this point.

I agree, maybe drop the distorted guitars just a little bit and see if the drums seem to sit the same in the mix as the clean section.

I'm not familiar with all of the plugs you're using, do they do some of the basic beginning EQ cuts, to move the guitar out of the bass/bass drum frequencies and some of the basics like that?

Neutron applies some cuts to the individual instruments based on its type, but I added a basic low cut with the Logic EQ at around 100. I really have no clue where you cut on bass, if at all.

OK… First read here, so take the huge bag of salt.

New mix

- first round of clean guitars. Something is definitely clearer. Haven’t spent the time yet to figure out what.

- distorted guitars, lost the honk, imaged wider, better detail and more upfront. I like it.

- Kick is good/solid

- Good loudness

- bass … jelly; I need one 👊

- kit and overheads better - clearer, more popping in the mix

EDIT: just saw the conversation above about bringing the distorted guitars down a little bit to pop the drums. That seems like good advice. That’s the one thing maybe in that area that might be cool if you could hear the kit a little bit more there (balance it out was the phrase used above… not saying even though, cuz loud is loud.)

Well done!

There’s nothing I can find to fix. (Well you got to get rid of that 60 cycle s**t at the end brother unless it’s on purpose? Is that a metal thing? Lol I’m old-school about certain frequencies)

My .02 pesos. :beer

I think the clean parts sound clearer due to Neutron making the drums pop a little more. (First couple iterations of this I just used the tools in Modern and Massive, the drum plug I use, not Neutron) I think having the drums pop just makes the overall clean passages sound more present.

But I think the distorted parts are mixed so loud it swallows the drums up on those portions.

I’ve found getting good distorted guitars is the hardest part of recording/mixing imo. (Ironic, since it’s the only instrument I care about lol) I think the reverb technique I tried def widens them and makes them sound less thin, but I still don’t think Ive captured a really good distorted guitar part yet in these challenges. They sound very “rough mix” if that makes any sense. lol

Last edited:
Neutron applies some cuts to the individual instruments based on its type, but I added a basic low cut with the Logic EQ at around 100. I really have no clue where you cut on bass, if at all.
I always cut the bass around 100 and push it slightly at 110. Then cut the bass drum above 100 and push it closer to 80-90. That way they aren’t treading on each other. Ymmv.

I think the clean parts sound clearer due to Neutron making the drums pop a little more. (First couple iterations of this I just used the tools in Modern and Massive, the drum plug I use, not Neutron) I think having the drums pop just makes the overall clean passages sound more present.

But I think the distorted parts are mixed so loud it swallows the drums up on those portions.

I’ve found getting good distorted guitars is the hardest part of recording/mixing imo. (Ironic, since it’s the only instrument I care about lol) I think the reverb technique I tried def widens them and makes them sound less thin, but I still don’t think Ive captured a really good distorted guitar part yet in these challenges. They sound very “rough mix” if that makes any sense. lol
How many tracks are you laying down for guitars 2, 4?

And are you playing them each time, or just copy/paste with a minute amount of time shift?

Last edited:
I actually got a lot of work done last week but spread out across a couple songs. I’m fully in the process of re-recording previous demos to finalize the tracks and get all the details in there. Nothing in any shape to start posting as this is the part where I’m really laboring over them instead of banging them out. The two I’m currently working on I already released as “finished” years ago, but man they sound like sh*t. :roflI dig ‘em too much to leave them behind, so they’re getting a facelift.

I’ve also started working on a little vocal isolation booth for my studio, which will hopefully put an end to my “I can’t record vocals at my place and it’s so creatively stifling blah blah blah”

Three tracks for the distorted parts. All unique takes. Two with my LP, with each pushed a good bit left and right respectively. One take with my RG, straight down the center.

Logic has a really cool function for this. It’s called “cycle recording”.

Just set your loop and hit record and logic automatically starts tracking, stacking multiple takes for you and you can generate as many takes you want.

After that there’s a very cool comping tool which allows you to assemble/edit the multiple takes to get the comp you desire.

I end up taking a couple of the takes and moving them into new audio tracks just as you do right left and center.

Logic has a really cool function for this. It’s called “cycle recording”.

Just set your loop and hit record and logic automatically starts tracking, stacking multiple takes for you and you can generate as many takes you want.

After that there’s a very cool comping tool which allows you to assemble/edit the multiple takes to get the comp you desire.

I end up taking a couple of the takes and moving them into new audio tracks just as you do right left and center.

I need to learn how to move the tracks outside of that comp framework. That’s the only reason I never use it and manually start/stop takes.

Back