TGF Do Something Challenge Week 6!

I need to learn how to move the tracks outside of that comp framework. That’s the only reason I never use it and manually start/stop takes.
I just highlight/select the section from the comp stack on the take, copy and paste into new audio track.

There might be a more optimal way… But that’s what I do. (I will also leave the comp as one of the final selected tracks.)

👍🥃

Logic has a really cool function for this. It’s called “cycle recording”.

Just set your loop and hit record and logic automatically starts tracking, stacking multiple takes for you and you can generate as many takes you want.

After that there’s a very cool comping tool which allows you to assemble/edit the multiple takes to get the comp you desire.

I end up taking a couple of the takes and moving them into new audio tracks just as you do right left and center.

That’s pretty cool, I need to experiment with that to save the amount of start/record/stop/delete I do on every part.

This has been the month of the new guitar for me (at least the last 4 weeks). Got an Epiphone ES339, a Epiphone Muse Les Paul and took a flyer on a stupid low opening bid on a Solar A2.7LNFR on eBay and actually won it for like half of what it's worth. Still tripping I won the auction...

So, decided to do a song with all three.

Cleans are all the Epiphones, the Les Paul more than the ES. The dirt is all Solar.

Bass is my 1994 Ibanez EXB445.

Pix to make the post more interesting:

IMyFXpL.jpg

5NpKVHT.jpg

fl60m0e.jpg

C'mon man! You can tune down lower. I know you can.

I have no idea how you play and keep it intonated and in tune. Your tracks always sound
great man!!

:headbang

That’s pretty cool, I need to experiment with that to save the amount of start/record/stop/delete I do on every part.
Keeps me in the groove and can get highly repetitive very quickly to start collapsing my error rate lol

I just highlight/select the section from the comp stack on the take, copy and paste into new audio track.

There might be a more optimal way… But that’s what I do. (I will also leave the comp as one of the final selected tracks.)

👍🥃

Of all the people here Drew… I’m not sure I should be sharing secrets I’m using to trying to keep up with the “competition” around these parts … :clint

I need every stinking edge I can find. You have chops!

I love this stuff so much… Forgive the passion and the constant posting.

Something I played with a lot on the last tune was on the center channel rhythm guitar,

I put a Logic phaser plug-in on the track. I was surprised how much it effected the whole rhythm guitar bus, just applying to the effect to 1/3 of the rhythm guitars. Even w a low mix.

I think in the final mix I dialed a lot of it out because I wanted to hear more of the raw guitar tone, but a super cool trick I’d use again. (I thought it was better (cleaner) than phasing on the fractal… which I did anyways 😜.)

Kids Play GIF

Time!

Calling it done. Really trying to learn how to work with these old worn-out ears and DAW/Logic.

Really trying to improve my mixing skills so good constructive criticism is highly welcome.

Logic X w/ neutron4 on a few instrument busses and ozone10 on the final master buss.

PRS p24 with a wallered-out D string on the nut lol for both bass and guitars

FAS w/ AB’s XTC preset using blue chnl

Alchemy for f/x risers etc

Damn, those drums are HUGE!

Love the skanky, Wah funkaliciousness! :chef

You've offered up some really different and diverse tracks, fret.
Love the Bogner XTC Blue Amp Model, too. One oof my faves! :beer

Oh, and did Denning have a Kegger this past weekend?? :LOL:

Love the skanky, Wah funkaliciousness! :chef

You've offered up some really different and diverse tracks, fret.
Love the Bogner XTC Blue Amp Model, too. One oof my faves! :beer

Oh, and did Denning have a Kegger this past weekend?? :LOL:

Thank you for listening and commenting specifically. I really do appreciate that. Very generous of you. 👍❤️🙏

(The the Dunning-Kruger type is me. 🫢)

I think I went a little far with logic/daw - that’s me - I like the deep end of life.

This last round, in that I knowing just enough to be flipping dangerous to myself and “over do” crap lol …

Throwing in the towel. Needs fills, a lead, a better song, super lazy dead space at the start I can't be bothered to fill, needs a proper fade at the end, didn't try to do much with the mix, so this is a real treat! Best a man can do in a few hours.

Bonus points for anyone that catches it.

I dig the heck out of this \m/ Tones are great and the vibe overall is very :chef It kind of reminds me of a slightly less aggressive (in a good way) Spritbox? Good stuff!
This has been the month of the new guitar for me (at least the last 4 weeks). Got an Epiphone ES339, a Epiphone Muse Les Paul and took a flyer on a stupid low opening bid on a Solar A2.7LNFR on eBay and actually won it for like half of what it's worth. Still tripping I won the auction...

So, decided to do a song with all three.

Cleans are all the Epiphones, the Les Paul more than the ES. The dirt is all Solar.

Bass is my 1994 Ibanez EXB445.

Pix to make the post more interesting:

IMyFXpL.jpg

5NpKVHT.jpg

fl60m0e.jpg

I'm doing this right now
nuclear blast recordings GIF by Meshuggah

Kids Play GIF

Time!

Calling it done. Really trying to learn how to work with these old worn-out ears and DAW/Logic.

Really trying to improve my mixing skills so good constructive criticism is highly welcome.

Logic X w/ neutron4 on a few instrument busses and ozone10 on the final master buss.

PRS p24 with a wallered-out D string on the nut lol for both bass and guitars

FAS w/ AB’s XTC preset using blue chnl

Alchemy for f/x risers etc

Great track! Dig the groove, production and playing all equally :love
Started this one this afternoon and finished it up tonight. Voice is coming back so I felt like doing some vocals for this one. Just kind of hit record and let things fall out of my mouth.

Guitar Left: Fender Strat - Hx Stomp (Comp/Fuzz/PoT) - PRS MT15 preamp - Ignite TSA - Dua Verde IR
Guitar Right: Fender Strat - Hx Stomp (Comp/Fuzz/PoT) - Badonk Preamp - Ignite TSA - Dua Verde IR
Guitar Center: Fender Strat - Hx Stomp (Bitcrusher Dist) - PRS MT15 preamp - Ignite TSA - Dua Verde IR
Bass: The usual
Drums: AD2

Man; I dig this a LOT. You have some cool Mr. Bungle-isms but this straightforward punk vibe is hitting me the right way! Good stuff!

So I was thinking about this a bit… And I think the explanation is this.

The drums are bussed to f/x pair of faders that has a short drum room reverb… Read small and bright.

(Getting a little deeper here. I think small and bright provides kind of an early reflection action against the background of a longer reverb tail, but maybe seems like a pretty long pre-delay, indicating a huge room? That’s the theory.)

I think when that is mixed against the larger verbs on other instruments it gives the impression of a lot of impact without getting smeared by a larger reverb.

I also tend to mix my drums up forward for reasons… Not always the best choice necessarily lol.

Last edited:
A tip for making drums pop through a cranked guitar: side-chain compression. Look it up, watch a video, read an article, start experimenting with it!

I use Addictive Drums 2, and route the drum tracks in the VST to tracks in my DAW to mix them with my own plugins instead of whatever it may have available in the VSTi.

Then I add a compressor like ReaComp (Reaper's stock compressor plugin) or Fabfilter C 2 onto the guitar tracks. Depending on what DAW you have (you may have to look this up seperately), route the kick and snare to the compressor and set its input to auxiliary (In Reaper this is achieved by click/dragging the routing button to the plugin UI) Some compressor plugins have no option for side-chaining so don't sleep on those Reaper stock plugins. I think you can even download them seperately from Reaper.

What this does is duck out the guitars (depending on how the rate/threshold are set in the compressor) every time the kick or snare is struck. Set a fast attack and release for more strike transient and more "pop" and to make sure you're not actually hearing the guitars duck in the mix. This just to get them out of the way of the snare and kick for however many milliseconds you hear them for.

Do this for the bass and the kick too.

If you want to get extra fancy you can use a multi band compressor to duck out only specific frequencies. I like my kick's low end to live around 60hz so I duck out the bass in the 60hz region.

What this does is duck out the guitars (depending on how the rate/threshold are set in the compressor) every time the kick or snare is struck. Set a fast attack and release for more strike transient and more "pop" and to make sure you're not actually hearing the guitars duck in the mix. This just to get them out of the way of the snare and kick for however many milliseconds you hear them for.
This makes complete sense and I will definitely be looking into this. Thank you. Any videos in particular you’d recommend watching?

Man… Stop me before I go down this rabbit hole …

Ducking is so useful.

Guitarist use it a lot typically for time based effects like delay and reverbs often.

Super cool to have your reverb f/x on a separate bus and then play with them with ducking on lead melodies (guitar or vocals or piano, or whatever…) And then blow it up for special f/x for impact.

I realize these are production tricks.

But the cool thing about recording is it brings together all your skills as a musician… Everything you’ve ever learned, where you wear all the hats.

Writer, performer, producer, engineer, mixer, master, harshest critic.

That’s nontrivial.

Honestly the best video to watch is one where they're using the DAW and plugs that you have. The routing setup is what will stall you.
Yeah, I am completely ignorant when it comes to bus sends, etc. I usually just slap an instance of whatever I’m using onto each track. 🤔

Yeah, I am completely ignorant when it comes to bus sends, etc. I usually just slap an instance of whatever I’m using onto each track. 🤔
Reaper's click-and-drag routing capabilities make it simple for me but I started to pay attention to what it did in the routing portion of the affected tracks to really get a hang of how the routing works. What DAW do you have?

Reaper's click-and-drag routing capabilities make it simple for me but I started to pay attention to what it did in the routing portion of the affected tracks to really get a hang of how the routing works. What DAW do you have?
Logic. It’s all I ever used but there’s so much I haven’t learned, mostly out of lack of necessity. I use it primarily for getting ideas down.

Back