TGF Do Something Challenge Week 6!

I’ll probably end up listening to everybody’s music tomorrow morning; hopefully with some fresh ears. Looking fwd to hearing everybody’s tunes! Always fun.

I’m doing my mix now/tonight. probably won’t post until the morning after. I’ve had a fresh listen. (This is been a week of complexity for me.)

Hoping to improve the mix … can’t really say anything about note choice, time or vibe lol

Not sure it will yield anything musical, but learning logic for sure. Forcing me to work w the fractal more than usual too.

Sure do enjoy the crap out of this!

Thanks.

amadeus mozart GIF by Hollywood Suite

Throwing in the towel. Needs fills, a lead, a better song, super lazy dead space at the start I can't be bothered to fill, needs a proper fade at the end, didn't try to do much with the mix, so this is a real treat! Best a man can do in a few hours.

Bonus points for anyone that catches it.

Do you mean how the tracks weren't quite in sync at the end?

That's the only thing I noticed, but like you said it was a fairly quick project without much of a mix, so I didn't think much of it.

Man, anything that makes vocal melodies pop in my head immediately is ace in my book. Really, if you want to develop that some more and want to hear it with some vocals I'd be really interested in working on that. There's a bunch of Weiland-ish melodies I had popping up when listening to that. Super melodic and that clean sound is f*cking perfect. When the distorted chords open up....yeaaaah buddy. Tight work, man.

And that's the exact conundrum I run into with this challenge; I write and record something I feel needs to be developed more but rush because of the challenge. Catch 22 and a half!

Let me tighten it up a little over the weekend and let’s get some Rev Weiland on it :cool:

Do you mean how the tracks weren't quite in sync at the end?

That's the only thing I noticed, but like you said it was a fairly quick project without much of a mix, so I didn't think much of it.

Yeah the end drags too long, and needs a way to resolve. I also need to link the two quiet parts together better, but I ran out of energy to think of something better than the open space. Drums are hell on earth to map, so I didn’t add much flavor to sorta break up the beat which takes a little something away from it imo.

I think I’m going to try to clean it up a little tomorrow, and sneak a re-submission back under the wire. (Or count it as Week 7 :ROFLMAO: )

This has been the month of the new guitar for me (at least the last 4 weeks). Got an Epiphone ES339, a Epiphone Muse Les Paul and took a flyer on a stupid low opening bid on a Solar A2.7LNFR on eBay and actually won it for like half of what it's worth. Still tripping I won the auction...

So, decided to do a song with all three.

Cleans are all the Epiphones, the Les Paul more than the ES. The dirt is all Solar.

Bass is my 1994 Ibanez EXB445.

Pix to make the post more interesting:

IMyFXpL.jpg

5NpKVHT.jpg

fl60m0e.jpg

Watch you levels, sounds like you're just starting to clip around the .34- .35 mark on the cleans - Could be a sketchy cable creating static.

Kids Play GIF

Time!

Calling it done. Really trying to learn how to work with these old worn-out ears and DAW/Logic.

Really trying to improve my mixing skills so good constructive criticism is highly welcome.

Logic X w/ neutron4 on a few instrument busses and ozone10 on the final master buss.

PRS p24 with a wallered-out D string on the nut lol for both bass and guitars

FAS w/ AB’s XTC preset using blue chnl

Alchemy for f/x risers etc

Last edited:
Watch you levels, sounds like you're just starting to clip around the .34- .35 mark on the cleans - Could be a sketchy cable creating static.
Thanks. Yeah, I heard that after I was done and didn’t care enough to go back and retrack that part. :rofl

Circled back around and finished this. Production notes:
sang 11 tracks of vocals. Townsend L22 was already up so I just used that. U47 model. Apollo pre 1073 on all vox. The lead vocal was sent out to the Lindel Lin76 comp. If this were an actual emergency, ALL vox would have been but this isnt for real, so here I am. LOTS of fudging in melodyne and revoice pro. I sure as s**t aint a "vocalist". Production chops are EVERYTHING. Some of these harmonies are Waves Harmony plugin. Turns you into instant Def Leppard.
Guitars on the finals are my Jackson soloist reamped thru the Friedman Phil X with his same two notes cab pack. The fills and the solo are the Fractal AxeFXIII. Really didnt want to go thru the drama of getting those FX dialed in again and it sounded good enough to me. Rhythm guitars have Eventides H9000 Micropitch (the H3000 algo one)
Bass was direct and the Ampeg UAD plugin, I think its the SVT? I dont know bass amps well but like this one.
Drums are superior. I ran the snare thru the Lin 76 compressor as well. Snare also has its own verb, UAD lexicon 480.
Session Verb is UAD Capitol Chambers and Delay is the Korg 3000 thing.
Piano and synth are UAD. Plenty of fudging there, too. I fat finger every note around the notes I'm trying to play. LOTS of deleting bad notes, fixing timing etc.
On my Mixbus is the SSL Fusion and Bus plus.
Considering this was dead air and "hey why dont I cover that song" at 3AM monday morning, I'm pretty happy putting this one to bed.

Now to go be a real musician and fix my rehearsal disasters from yesterday.......

Bro you absolutely just slay on the production/mix/master chops.

You could sell your skills online easily.

skills GIF

Fumble Dick remix.

• Add a little distorted part between the two clean parts at the start. Not sure if it works.
  • Shortened the end riff, and added a resolving part (used above)
  • Added a few drum fills
  • Retracked a bass part
  • Used Sooth2 on the guitar parts (Nolly's de-spike preset)
Otherwise Neutron on the guitar and bass buses. Ozone on the Stereo bus. Computer was about to melt by the end of it.

Fumble Dick remix.

• Add a little distorted part between the two clean parts at the start. Not sure if it works.
  • Shortened the end riff, and added a resolving part (used above)
  • Added a few drum fills
  • Retracked a bass part
  • Used Sooth2 on the guitar parts (Nolly's de-spike preset)
Otherwise Neutron on the guitar and bass buses. Ozone on the Stereo bus. Computer was about to melt by the end of it.

YAAAS!!!!

Damn! This just keeps getting better. Overall, great job man. Really enjoying this tune.

Disregard the strike through....I listened several more times and I'm not sure what I was hearing the first few times. Probably just the abruptness of silence then into the isolated distorted part - which I like.

I need to listen a few more times, and I'm not being critical, trying to figure out what I'm hearing.

But the first break where it's the silence then isolated chug on the distorted guitar @1:14, it sounds "a little too big" or "too isolated", between the two parts if that makes sense - almost like a punch in on a different day, without any verb or similar effect it sounded just a little different than the part before or after it from a mix perspective.

Especially when you did that a second time @1:57 - the mix there felt contiguous and blended well throughout the transition from clean to silence to distorted guitar.

ETA: Maybe try an automation step, have the silence, then fade in/crescendo fairly quickly on the isolated chug part. But only on the part at 1:14. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
YAAAS!!!!

Damn! This just keeps getting better. Overall, great job man. Really enjoying this tune.

Disregard the strike through....I listened several more times and I'm not sure what I was hearing the first few times. Probably just the abruptness of silence then into the isolated distorted part - which I like.

I need to listen a few more times, and I'm not being critical, trying to figure out what I'm hearing.

But the first break where it's the silence then isolated chug on the distorted guitar @1:14, it sounds "a little too big" or "too isolated", between the two parts if that makes sense - almost like a punch in on a different day, without any verb or similar effect it sounded just a little different than the part before or after it from a mix perspective.

Especially when you did that a second time @1:57 - the mix there felt contiguous and blended well throughout the transition from clean to silence to distorted guitar.

ETA: Maybe try an automation step, have the silence, then fade in/crescendo fairly quickly on the isolated chug part. But only on the part at 1:14. Does that make sense?

I’m not sold on that part either, I just snipped it from the end of the song. Thought maybe a little dynamic shift might be cool, but I may try to remove the double tracking on it and see how that’s sounds if a little thinner, or just try it clean.

Been watching Zach Wish’s video on how he mixes his guitars, may also try what he does, sending the distorted guitars to a reverb bus and mix in a little verb on my distorted guitars to see if that adds any depth.

Kids Play GIF

Time!

Calling it done. Really trying to learn how to work with these old worn-out ears and DAW/Logic.

Really trying to improve my mixing skills so good constructive criticism is highly welcome.

Logic X w/ neutron4 on a few instrument busses and ozone10 on the final master buss.

PRS p24 with a wallered-out D string on the nut lol for both bass and guitars

FAS w/ AB’s XTC preset using blue chnl

Alchemy for f/x risers etc

Sounds fantastic Fret. Verrrrry polished. Mix sounds excellent. How did you do the drums? That’s an intricate drum groove, I can’t imagine doing it via keys and mouse. lol

Sounds fantastic Fret. Verrrrry polished. Mix sounds excellent. How did you do the drums? That’s an intricate drum groove, I can’t imagine doing it via keys and mouse. lol
Thank you very much … super kind words brother Whizz!

I’m fretting’ over that mix.

Sounds great on my HS8 in my room. Sounds great on small transducers like iPhone and earbuds.

But seems to fall apart on some other systems I’ve tried. (Makes me sad. But then I think I kinda suspect what might be going on too.)

I cheat using Logic drummer creatively w/occasional adds to overheads 😉

Last edited:

Sounds great on my HS8 in my room. Sounds great on small transducers like iPhone and earbuds.

But seems to fall apart on some other systems I’ve tried. (Makes me sad. But then I think I kinda suspect what might be going on too.)

Yeah I feel like I lose a touch of dynamics in the transition from my monitors to earbuds, but don’t have the first clue how to “fix” it, or mix for them.

I also found getting the mix right for cars is a major PITA. My cars just slam bass freqs. So I just stopped checking my mixes in them. :ROFLMAO:

Slate VSX cans will change your life. They changed mine. Now my mixes translate way better.

Back