SS amp for modelers

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
Thinking about a SS amp to power my 16ohm 2x12 GB cab (rated 50w). I have a huge and heavy PA amp that I don't want to haul around the house so I'm looking for something a little more compact.

SD Powerstage on a 16ohm cab sounds like it will be about 60w. Will that be loud enough for a drummer?

Im also thinking about maybe a Katana Head that I can slave as a poweramp or use standalone. This option seems the most plausible. I have a Katana 100w Mk2 combo that gets stupid loud and already have a foot controller for it. I see a used Artist head for an okay price.

Those little BAM bass amps were popular as poweramps for a little while. Also heard of a few of them shitting the bed. Doesn't @DrewJD82 have one?

I know there's tiny SS amps on Amazon for a steal but most of those look like they require modifications (which I'm not opposed to if I can save a few hundred dollars) unless I want to use RCA Jacks. Which of those are good/bad/stay away?

What else should I be looking at? Don't want to spend more than $500USD ideally.

Last edited:
Behringer A800, no joke.
I'm being a tad nitpicky, but it's a little too big for setting on top of my cab in vertical position. It would be a touch wider and I don't like the T look. I have the perfect rack case for it though, but that would make it even bigger..

Back