SS amp for modelers

I have both the Duncan PS170 and the BAM200. They can get pretty damn loud! I haven’t cranked them up all the way, not sure I’d ever need to. If I were to buy both over again I’d just have two BAM’s, I can’t hear a single thing in the Duncan that makes me believe it’s superior to the BAM and while it’s a slight difference, I like the way the EQ on the BAM works more than the Duncan, mainly in the treble area. The BAM is also smaller and much easier to toss into a gig bag, the Duncan is quite bulky.

IMG_4538.jpeg

Get a used Katana MK2 Head.

It's 100W @ 8 ohms and has a dedicated power amp input for exactly this purpose.

PS: no fan in there from what I know, and it stays fairly cool even after hours of loud AF playing.

EDIT: sorry, just re-read the original post and saw that you actually have a Kat100 combo already. My mistake! ;)

I'm also not opposed to getting a Kat head. I know the system fairly well even though I don't agree with a lot of its sounds.
Same here, not many f**ks given about the "normal" sounds, they're halfway decent at best, but loving it as a mere power amp.

"Not agreeing" with the sounds -> I dig that expression, fits this thing to a T. :D

Even going into the return of the loop, there is some "flavoring" they do on the other modes, whereas "FRFR" is completely flat.

The other thing that happens in the TB202 "FRFR" mode (apart from flat EQ) is that the power amp interaction with the speaker is stiffened.

Incidentally, I have a bunch of nice emails from Pat Quilter. This is _after_ he already retired once and came back to finish his life's work. And he still finds time to answer my questions. What a wonderful guy!

Last edited:
I looked at one of those and then saw the power brick about the same size of the damn thing. Bazanga!

Yeah, but it doesn't bother me, as the actual unit is so crazy light (around 1 lb), it's easy to carry around overall. I actually keep it stashed in my gig bag now, as a backup with my Stomp in case my Mesa has a problem.

Back