IDEA: Helix Lunchbox Amp Head

Not suggesting that anybody would buy the following Class D amp to power a guitar cab because it's very expensive and probably wouldn't have enough power available for that anyway. Also, it would never end up in a L6 powered HX device for that cost reason because it wouldn't be viable; but I'm linking the Hypex NCx500 module here just to demonstrate that not all Class D power amps are trash or sound the same.

The THD figures are excellent.

There are a good deal of poorly designed Class D amps out there and / or they often contain cheap components and are usually built to a price point - and that might be the majority of them; so I can see why there is a dislike of them out there.

The point here is that the topology of Class D isn't inherently the problem in terms of the dislike that they receive. It's just a topology.
I bet there's some weird Opel prototype somewhere that can beat a run of the mill Audi A8 but it's super expensive and while in the lab tests and on paper it is better it's still not as nice to drive.

:rofl

Devin re-reminded me of the Yamaha TH100. That thing KILLED. I know @laxu has always been a champion of it as well.

Laxu already mentioned it in this very thread :LOL:

Laxu already mentioned it in this very thread :LOL:

kate mckinnon snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

In the practice amp thread; Devin re-reminded me of the Yamaha TH100. That thing KILLED. I know @laxu has always been a champion of it as well. Since it's a Yamaha product as well, seems like there could be chocolate in the peanut butter that could happen :love
I hoped for several years that Yamaha would make a 2nd gen version of it. But alas, no such luck.

I hoped for several years that Yamaha would make a 2nd gen version of it. But alas, no such luck.
Maybe they were waiting for this very moment. The introduction of a kick-ass 2203 into the HX and finally marriage

Class D is fine, it's what you do with it that matters.
I don't know if anyone has succesfully created a solid state power amp that has a negative feedback network that sounds and reacts to a cab like a transformer coupled tube amp does, so thete's a challenge.

You like graphs eh, here's one that shows POS Frequency by Year (not mine).

1705087049570.png

Class D is fine, it's what you do with it that matters.
I don't know if anyone has succesfully created a solid state power amp that has a negative feedback network that sounds and reacts to a cab like a transformer coupled tube amp does, so thete's a challenge.

You like graphs eh, here's one that shows POS Frequency by Year (not mine).

View attachment 17210
Piece of shit frequency?? I'm in!!!

A couple years ago I had an idea that I mentioned to the folks at Line 6: a mini Badonk amp with a solid state power section and stuff.

A Helix amp could be amazing though! How about an amp with the normal controls but a screen above it where you see the Helix images with graphical representations of the amps, similar to the TMP but on the front of the amp.

Back